JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been seeing some post on the 30 carbine vs 556 that I had an interesting comparison. Would you take a 556 stanag magazine fed SBR with an 8in barrel or a standard M1 carbine as a go to/shtf gun?

556 in a 8ish barrel velocity is about 2400fps (at the muzzle) with 30 carbine is 1900ish. Obviously 30 carbine wins in mass (110gr vs 55,62, or 77gr) and slightly better in Ft lbs of energy. Curious what everyone thoughts are. Personally I still think id take 556 but i'm curious everyone's thoughts.

I'd take the 300blk :)

8" is too short for my taste in 5.56.

A suppressed 10.5-12.5 would be my ideal personal defense weapon if SHTF and it has to be 5.56.

8" 300 blk for PDW uses.

Too much muzzle blast for my liking in shorter than 14" barrel 5.56's. The ergonomics of the M1 carbine leave a lot to be desired plus there isn't a lot of options if you want something like a better trigger on it.

I've given up on shortie 5.56s, they're just awful to shoot. The blast is brutal, and you lose more energy than I'm comfortable with. Got rid of my 10.5" guns, I feel better served with a pistol caliber carbine than I did with them. 30 carbine wouldn't be my first choice either, though.

The ergonomics of the M1 carbine leave a lot to be desired plus there isn't a lot of options if you want something like a better trigger on it.
The trigger of the M1 carbine is awful IMO. First time I shot one I thought the safety was on.

I've given up on shortie 5.56s, they're just awful to shoot. The blast is brutal, and you lose more energy than I'm comfortable with.
5.56 is blasty. As someone who is not recoil sensitive but is noise sensitive I get what you mean. Did you try using a different muzzle device, like a flashcan?

FWIW I love both for different reasons, but I choose 10.5" 5.56 in a SHTF over M1 Carbine 10/10 times. I cannot think of a single situation where a Carbine is better than an AR pistol/SBR other than historical coolness.

I love my T36. Tommybuilt clone of HK G36. 5.56

1636642454881.jpeg

Of the two in the OP , I'd take the M1 Carbine.
Not really a fan of SBR's.

If I was going with SHTF and had to have a military rife...I'd would like to have a M16A2 , if "new" or a Remington 03A3 , if "old".
Andy

I would go with the SBR for weight and ergo, BUT I watched a you goob video of a .30 Carbine just about turn a block of ballistic gel into a blob as that soft round nose bullet created a massive wound channel.

If offered one of the two, it would always be the AR. Simply put, everyone in the US has one. Even Andy has one! That and our military use them. As do other militaries. Mags are everywhere, ammo is everywhere. Parts are everywhere. Oh look, you found one in the end of times, it has a better upper, and swap…

I'm baffled why others would potentially overlook these facts when choosing something outside of the AR15 for SHTF.

Unless you know a few million 30 carbine owners to surround yourself with in the end, it just seems like a poor choice for the end of times.

Yes there are battle rifles I would prefer BUT the question was 8" SBR in 556 OR .30 carbine standard stock not paratrooper. with Those choices I picked the SBR in 556 as I believe it would work better in SHTF:s0029:

Been seeing some post on the 30 carbine vs 556 that I had an interesting comparison. Would you take a 556 stanag magazine fed SBR with an 8in barrel or a standard M1 carbine as a go to/shtf gun?

556 in a 8ish barrel velocity is about 2400fps (at the muzzle) with 30 carbine is 1900ish. Obviously 30 carbine wins in mass (110gr vs 55,62, or 77gr) and slightly better in Ft lbs of energy. Curious what everyone thoughts are. Personally I still think id take 556 but i'm curious everyone's thoughts.
Old school carbine.

I'd approach your question from the standpoint of............

Compare....
The initial cost of the platform? So then....add another $200 for the SBR.
The cost of the ammo?
The effect of the ammo for the purpose intended?
The re-supply of the ammo and parts?

Aloha, Mark