JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a quick question, but does the Shield 9mm's thumb safety block the striker? I normally carry around either empty chamber, or with a snap cap in the chamber just because, and I'd like to carry with a live round chambered. I've asked around and have gotten tons of answers from "It's supposed to," to "Definitely not," and can't seem to get it nailed down. Hoping this awesome community can help out!

I cannot pull the trigger with the external safety set to on. What it is doing to prevent that, I am not sure. I am not able to pull mine open at work, it appears to block the trigger from moving, rather than blocking the striker. The striker block is in place until the trigger moves it out of the way during the pull.

HTH start here:
Owner's Manuals | Smith & Wesson

https://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/default/files/owners-manuals/M&P_Shield_All_Cals_06-01-16.pdf

https://www.brownells.com/schematics/smith-wesson-/mp-semi-auto--sid859.aspx

It's a safe enough gun to carry around with the safety on or off and a round in the chamber, as explained above the safety prevents the trigger from moving, not sure about the rest inside.

A popular carry method for a Shield is belly carry with the muzzle pointed right at the Johnson. Think they'd do that w/o a striker safety block?

A popular carry method for a Shield is belly carry with the muzzle pointed right at the Johnson. Think they'd do that w/o a striker safety block?
Just got a shield today and that's why I got it for the hot summer days that I can't wair a heavy shirt to cover my hip.
I just also ordered a inside the wast holster for it . even though I don't think I will like it .
But I will try anything .
To make sure I can carry conciled every day of the year. And I have not FIRED this gun yet but it feels good .
Like I said I just got it today. MVIMG_20190205_163350.jpg

I will carry mine appendix IWB round chambered. I have no external safety I am very careful about holstering the gun, that is the most challenging time safety wise.

Safety just stops the trigger from traveling beyond the initial take up. There is an internal safety mechanism that the trigger must clear in order for the striker to be able to travel and strike the primer. I believe all modern strikers have this feature, even glock. Its why you don't hear of strikers randomly going off when chambered unless its from a bad manufacture line or just a really really cheap gun to begin with.

I think what on average theres 3 to 5 internal safety measures to prevent a AD from handling unless there is serious mechanical fault which a warranty would cover. These companies would be going out of biz fast if they all just randomly AD'd while chambered.

I carried a chambered MP 1.0 in 40sw for a bit and then do the same with the 45 Shield 2.0.

I'd highly suggest getting the 2.0 shield over the 1st gen. Good improvements were made that took an OK gun into a GOOD gun.

When engaging the safety on an M&P, the safety lever raises a small block which stops the travel of the trigger bar loop from engaging the sear.

From the user point of view...it stops movement of the trigger after a short take up, so it can not engage the sear. Engaging the sear is what releases the striker, or firing pin.

I have a S&W M&P Armorer class coming up this month on the 23rd, with an option for a range range day on the 24th.

Just got a shield today and that's why I got it for the hot summer days that I can't wair a heavy shirt to cover my hip.
I just also ordered a inside the wast holster for it . even though I don't think I will like it .
To make sure I can carry conciled every day of the year. And I have not FIRED this gun yet but it feels good .
Like I said I just got it today.View attachment 545610

My brother traded his Bersa Thunder for a Shield years ago for exactly that reason. He lives in N Las Vegas and wanted something he could carry while wearing a T-shirt. He had both a hip holster and a belly band. I guess it worked out ok for him since he still has it.

I shot his Shield last time I visited and didn't like it. Pretty snappy and hard to control muzzle rize for triple taps etc. Might be just my weak grip/hands/wrists tho.

Don't all striker guns have the striker spring only slightly compressed while in battery? Then the trigger and trigger bar movement completes the pulling of the striker back until it is released? Pretty hard to ignite a primer if the striker is at half cock even w/o the other safety features.

With an M&P, the striker or firing pin is fully retracted to the rear and under pressure to move forward, and is held back by the sear block. Actuating the trigger does not move the striker/firing pin. The trigger only releases the sear and the firing pin safety block in time, so the striker/firing pin can move forward and strike the primer.

Not much different than a 1911, where the trigger bar pushes the sear out of the hammer hooks to allow the hammer to fall and strike the firing pin.

Like I said I just got it today.View attachment 545610

I just got a holster from Sticky, size M4. More like a sleeve but it feels great and really sticks to the body and clothing, while being easy enough to draw, and I don't worry about it falling out either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top