JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Three or so years ago I became enamored with the M1 .30 carbine. I had me some gun money and was pondering the M1 Garand. At that time I don't think I was aware there was such a thing as the .30 carbine. The June 2015 Guns and ammo came and the NEW manufacture Inland .30 Carbine was on the front. I was sold. It took a couple/three months to get it after ordering at Kieth's. It's fun ordering at Kieth's. When an unusual/non run of the mill gun comes in the employees come over to inspect it. The gun was beautiful, not as dark as it was in the picture on the front of the magazine though. But oh boy! I'd never held one and I couldn't believe how light weight it was!

My M1 has been a flawless shooter, with no issues through the 400 rounds or so. I'm still enamored with the .30 Carbine and it's history. I'd like to one day have an original I believe, but when gun money comes up it seem something else comes to the top of the list (Insert Swedish Mauser:oops:).

The reason for this post is because I stumbled on an ad in Gun Broker for a fine looking .30 Carbine, for what seem like a lot of money. I'm not considering bidding, even if I was told "That's a great price". I think it looks too perfect. OR, some some officer that was never in the battle arena had it issued to him and put it in the closet then took it home after WWII? Any way I know our @Medic! knows a little about these rifles and thought he might chime in.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/766678037 :D

Sooooo, the Inland is the repop made by the "New" Inland that's not the Original WWII Manufacturer but has the same name? Is this correct? I looked into them when I read that the Kahr/Auto Ordnance has feeding issues. This true? Anyway, at the time Inlands receivers were built by Kahr Arms. What the heck is this tangled web about and does the Inland, at a few hundred more than the Auto Ordnance, have any issues? I want a Carbine BAD.

I just recently bought myself the Inland Manufacturing 1944 model carbine. I looked at buying a used M1 carbine on gunbroker and a few other places. The problem with the original older ones was other then pictures I could not inspect them up close and prices were bid way to high. The few I saw and held where pretty well used and beat. Some prices were reasonable on these but I thought still out of line with what I was holding. So I bought the new replica Inland. I've only put one box thru it but am real happy with my purchase.

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey.... HTH can a grown-a$$ed American man NOT KNOW what a M1 carbine was until just a mere 3yrs ago?!

I'm in my 50's and I've known about them for 45yrs!! WTH ya been all these years, bro?! o_O

Just toolin' ya, man! ;):D

Here's the deal...I was never into firearms until my dad said I should take his old guns as my brother wouldn't be interested in them. That was probably Jan 2009. Oh, I'd been out with buddies in high school, and after, rabbit hunting a few times. Dad had a Colt Woodsman he let me take. After I moved out of he house I was gifted a 10-.22. I went hunting a few times with that.

I'd grown up with a few old rifles hanging in the basemen above the hearth, and on a wall. He had a Win M66 and m86 in .40-82, Remington rolling block saddle ring carbine, Burgess 12 gauge shotgun, Some Mauser 98, Colt Woodsman, his fathers pre M15 S&W that was use as a duty weapon in the LA area in the early '50s and his sporterized (By him) 1917 Enfield. Unfortunately dad wasn't communicative about his time after Navy service when he was partner in a gun shop in SoCal with his brother. Those old rifles were most likely purchased for real cheap. They weren't shooters. I figure his plan was to fix 'em up! The only one he ever did was that Enfield. He did mess up the value of that Win 86 by grinding the receiver and bluing over the case hardening.

The first time I shot that S&W I was hooked. I've turned most of those guns in to good shootable guns....Ar, AK, Swede Mauser and a few assorted hand guns. The only one I'm really sorry I sold was the Mauser. What i know now is it probably was a shooter. If I'd been on this board with it's incredible nice people sooner, I'd more than likely still have that Mauser. :(

So the way I look at it, I'm still an adolescent firearm enthusiast! Chronologically I'd be one of you guy when you were in your 20s, after being introduce to firearms when you were 10 or so. It's weird sometimes thinking of the kid like excitement I get at 60+ when a new to me gun is ready to be bought!

Sooooo, the Inland is the repop made by the "New" Inland that's not the Original WWII Manufacturer but has the same name? Is this correct? I looked into them when I read that the Kahr/Auto Ordnance has feeding issues. This true? Anyway, at the time Inlands receivers were built by Kahr Arms. What the heck is this tangled web about and does the Inland, at a few hundred more than the Auto Ordnance, have any issues? I want a Carbine BAD.

You are correct. The original article in G&A June 2015 stated I believe that the parts would even interchange with an original. Mine has been really nice with no issue thus far. Some of the early models puportedly had issues with some battering due to the metal harness/lack there of. From what I heard that was fixed. The AO on the other hand, I believe, had more issues, and maybe still has.

Consider that the NEW Inland is close to a grand. You may be able to find an arsenal mix master in real nice shape for a grand to $1500.00. Thing with the .30 carbine is they were never used with corrosive ammo, like the Garand. Barrels are less likely to be shot out.

If you're real serious go to and OAC show Home Page There are usually 2-4 original .30 carbines for sale. Two of the selling members will talk to you for as long as you want to listen about the platform.

Mike, Mike, Mike... It's great to see you on the journey but your late start has left you with a lot of catching-up to do.;)
M-1 carbines were originally manufactured by ten different companies and Rockola, yes the jukebox company, is one of them and in the upper end of collectibility. So many carbines have been arsenal refinished without regard to what brand of parts it had originally that finding one as correct as the Gunbroker one appears to be is indeed rare. Most of the parts have a manufacturer's mark on them somewhere. Add to that the fact that some of the companies didn't make all of the parts but sourced them from other manufacturers and you have a chore in sorting out what is what. Add to that the fact that a lot of the "correct" carbines are actually assembled from parts gathered up and you can see that it is an easy place to lose a lot of money if you aren't careful and knowledgeable.
The $600 carbine you see at a gun show may be a fine shooter but of no interest to a collector because of the mismatch of parts it probably represents.
If you are truly interested in carbines, start with Larry L. Ruth's "War Baby!, The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbine" and then the sequels to that.
The Carbine Collector's Forum is also a good source of information.
The Carbine Collector's Club
Once you get a handle on this we can start talking about the later commercial versions.:D:D
I do have an original CMP gun from the sixties and an unusual commercial variant we can take to the range one day if you want.

Thanks for the info! The world of Carbines seems crazy. I looked at the Universals, which seem way overpriced for their reputation. Did some of the early ones have G.I. parts and receiver up until a certain serial number? And what exactly was the Iver Johnson? Was that an aftermarket gun? Soooo many questions....

There is no specific serial number break for GI parts vs. aftermarket parts for Universal carbines. As the military parts supply ran out they started manufacturing what was necessary to continue. Therefore, earlier Universals have more military parts than later ones.

Wow, have original Carbines gone up in price that much? I bought my old '43 Underwood at a garage sale for $150 about 30 years ago. I've shot thousands upon thousands of round through it. It's the original "pistol caliber carbine".

They say they were either loved or hated. Generally loved by those who used them in their intended role, but often not so loved by troops who were given a carbine when they should have had a real rifle. As much as I love the little .30 Carbine, it does have its limitations.

Mike, Mike, Mike... It's great to see you on the journey but your late start has left you with a lot of catching-up to do.;)
M-1 carbines were originally manufactured by ten different companies and Rockola, yes the jukebox company, is one of them and in the upper end of collectibility. So many carbines have been arsenal refinished without regard to what brand of parts it had originally that finding one as correct as the Gunbroker one appears to be is indeed rare. Most of the parts have a manufacturer's mark on them somewhere. Add to that the fact that some of the companies didn't make all of the parts but sourced them from other manufacturers and you have a chore in sorting out what is what. Add to that the fact that a lot of the "correct" carbines are actually assembled from parts gathered up and you can see that it is an easy place to lose a lot of money if you aren't careful and knowledgeable.
The $600 carbine you see at a gun show may be a fine shooter but of no interest to a collector because of the mismatch of parts it probably represents.
If you are truly interested in carbines, start with Larry L. Ruth's "War Baby!, The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbine" and then the sequels to that.
The Carbine Collector's Forum is also a good source of information.
The Carbine Collector's Club
Once you get a handle on this we can start talking about the later commercial versions.:D:D
I do have an original CMP gun from the sixties and an unusual commercial variant we can take to the range one day if you want.

I've done some studying since before I got my new production Inland. I'm pretty much aware of what your saying Korey. Also, I'm amazed at the info you can get by just standing and listening to a couple of members at an OAC show. Besides I want a shooter, not a safe queen. I don't care much if its an arsenal mix master, when/if the time comes.

I'll never be caught up. At least not to those of you that were introduced at a tender age. But when I'm opening that box, or peeling the tape off the package with that new to me gun in it, I'm about as excited as a teenager getting to second base on a date! ;)

Mikej: You do know that once you are infected with the fun and giggles of MI Carbine ownership there is no known cure. :)

Hey, I know! I have one. New production, but it's the same fun. However, I do get a special feeling when I fondle the originals.

Three or so years ago I became enamored with the M1 .30 carbine. I had me some gun money and was pondering the M1 Garand. At that time I don't think I was aware there was such a thing as the .30 carbine. The June 2015 Guns and ammo came and the NEW manufacture Inland .30 Carbine was on the front. I was sold. It took a couple/three months to get it after ordering at Kieth's. It's fun ordering at Kieth's. When an unusual/non run of the mill gun comes in the employees come over to inspect it. The gun was beautiful, not as dark as it was in the picture on the front of the magazine though. But oh boy! I'd never held one and I couldn't believe how light weight it was!

My M1 has been a flawless shooter, with no issues through the 400 rounds or so. I'm still enamored with the .30 Carbine and it's history. I'd like to one day have an original I believe, but when gun money comes up it seem something else comes to the top of the list (Insert Swedish Mauser:oops:).

The reason for this post is because I stumbled on an ad in Gun Broker for a fine looking .30 Carbine, for what seem like a lot of money. I'm not considering bidding, even if I was told "That's a great price". I think it looks too perfect. OR, some some officer that was never in the battle arena had it issued to him and put it in the closet then took it home after WWII? Any way I know our @Medic! knows a little about these rifles and thought he might chime in.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/766678037 :D

Looks like this carbine is humped up.

The I cut stock that's been cut down is a bad start. o_O

Love me some M1 Carbine! Inherited a sweetheart Saginaw and love shooting it, was one of the first real rifles I ever got to shoot, about the slickest little carbine ever made!
Glad you finally discoverd the little brother M1 Carbine, and welcome to the M1 club @Mikej

Granted, I don't know all that much about M1 carbines, but that stock looks completely normal for a low wood I-stock. I don't know it's worth all they are asking but it looks like an all correct Rock-Ola with early stock, flip sight, and barrel band. And who wouldn't want a Carbine made by a jukebox manufacturer?

Prettier than my mixmaster Winchester, that's for sure.

702E0BD8-47FF-42BD-B7D7-6FD1CD6F46F9.jpeg

.... they were either loved or hated. Generally loved by those who used them in their intended role, but often not so loved by troops who were given a carbine when they should have had a real rifle. As much as I love the little .30 Carbine, it does have its limitations.

A little story. Around 1970-71 I was at the range with my Dad's M1 Carbine. He'd carried one in the PI as a medic and as a kid, I'd wheedled at him until he bought one. An old guy walked by the bench I was at and looked briefly at the carbine. He sorta grunted and said (paraphrased) "I picked one of those up on Iwo Jima because I was tired of carrying that damned heavy M1. I never regretted anything so much in my entire life" and he walked away. I should have followed and asked for more explanation but.. just a teenager so I didn't.

I like the carbine, it's a most elegant little rifle. As with anything it has its limitations but for its purpose, elegant. I'm not a collecting purist and in the case of carbines, I don't know that it's realistic to try to be one. As many times as they were refitted with whatever parts were on hand as well as all the various subcontractors in the mix, any combination of GI parts could be the way it left government service and therefore "correct".

By the way, if you want a bayonet for your M1 Carbine, Midway has some early 60's Italian military mfg. bayonets for the carbine that aren't too bad for about $40. Look like the originals though they have plastic grips that are colored and shaped like the original leather GI bayonet. Considering the price of originals, not bad.

don't know where you guys are coming up with these prices? You can buy nice USGI carbine for $750-$800. If you take your time and look even cheaper. I bought a nice WRA carbine for $600 a few months ago. You just gotta look and do your homework.