JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looks like this carbine is humped up.

The I cut stock that's been cut down is a bad start. o_O

Not sure what you're saying. Don't forget, I'm not up on all the jargon. o_O< Me. I got my rifle out buuut, it's more of a '45 model stock with the bayonet mount. Otherwise it looks the same.

What I find hard to believe is the bluing. I've looked at as many as I could between the OAC shows, the big one too, and ARPC and I've never seen bluing that nice on one.

don't know where you guys are coming up with these prices? You can buy nice USGI carbine for $750-$800. If you take your time and look even cheaper. I bought a nice WRA carbine for $600 a few months ago. You just gotta look and do your homework.

I'm not coming up with those prices, others are! Gotta say, I haven't dug into them the way I should have I guess.

Recently a couple young guys were shooting a WWII bringback at ARPC and they let me shoot it. It instantly went on my wish-list top-10. Those things are super fun, softer shooting than an AR15.

Inland Mfg makes a repro M1 Carbine for $1100. I think the Auto Ordnance is patterned after an early war M1, and the Inland Mfg is a late-war repro.. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

don't know where you guys are coming up with these prices? You can buy nice USGI carbine for $750-$800. If you take your time and look even cheaper. I bought a nice WRA carbine for $600 a few months ago. You just gotta look and do your homework.

Wow, you got a very good deal. I was also watching them for a while on Gunbroker and I've seen mismatched ones go for mid-$800, low $900s. Mismatched numbers are good enough for me as I shoot all my guns and don't want to worry about damaging a precious antique. I'm planning to scour the ARPC show in September for WWII rifles: An M1 Carbine, or a Lee-Enfield, whatever I can get the best deal on. At the very least I'm going home with a Mosin to keep my K98 and Garand company.

Inland Mfg makes a repro M1 Carbine for $1100. I think the Auto Ordnance is patterned after an early war M1, and the Inland Mfg is a late-war repro.. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I have the Inland, and yes, it is a '45 model with bayonet lug. Mine was purchased in late 2015 and was under $1000.00.

Granted, I don't know all that much about M1 carbines, but that stock looks completely normal for a low wood I-stock. I don't know it's worth all they are asking but it looks like an all correct Rock-Ola with early stock, flip sight, and barrel band. And who wouldn't want a Carbine made by a jukebox manufacturer?

Prettier than my mixmaster Winchester, that's for sure.

View attachment 475471

Rock-ola did not make any I cut low wood stocks.
As a matter of fact the carbines didn't see any low wood stocks until late 43 with the introduction of the type A variation 4 stocks. Long after the I cut was abandoned, and replaced with the oval cut.

Of course there are I cut stocks that were later cut down to low wood. Along with high wood oval cut stocks.
It was just part of the rebuild process.

Rock-ola did not make any I cut low wood stocks.
As a matter of fact the carbines didn't see any low wood stocks until late 43 with the introduction of the type A variation 4 stocks. Long after the I cut was abandoned, and replaced with the oval cut.

Of course there are I cut stocks that were later cut down to low wood. Along with high wood oval cut stocks.
It was just part of the rebuild process.

This is why we keep you around @Medic!

I can speak intelligently on 1903, 1903a1, 1903 modified, 03a3, 03a4 rifles, etc. But I am very new to the carbine world, having just taken delivery of my first a short while ago. I don't have the reference library for them like I do for my Springfield's.

Thanks for the clarification!

I find a lot of manufacturing variations seen in M1 Carbines to be interesting. Just from memory, there's round bolts and flat bolts, 2 slot and 3 slot gas piston retainer nuts. Milled trigger groups and fabbed trigger groups. One version was made out of stacked stampings oven brazed together. The long hole along the side of the receiver for the op-rod spring is, in one version, a long slot with a separate removable tube in it. Lots of "make a part that does this with the sort of equipment we have" variations. Historically and technically interesting.

and safeties. The original push button was inconveniently close to the magazine release. Bad news to push the safety off in a hurry only to drop the magazine instead :eek:
There's the design changes/improvements in addition to the same part (functionally) made a different way. Lots of interesting stuff there.

I've got a "franken" Inland I traded for with a member here. I got it fairly cheap compared to prices I see now. The stock doesn't have any arsenal marks so I'm guessing its a commercial stock? The bbl doesn't have any markings on it either.

I've got a "franken" Inland I traded for with a member here. I got it fairly cheap compared to prices I see now. The stock doesn't have any arsenal marks so I'm guessing its a commercial stock? The bbl doesn't have any markings on it either.
I got one marked "Ruger PC-9".

lol not really

Just for the heck of it I looked up the manufacture date which turned out to be Jan 1944-Aug 1944 and found that Inland turned out some bbls early that year without a stamp so that could be it.

I bought my M1 carbine because I thought it was a really cool "Big Boy" 22lr. My friends made fun of me for paying $80 for that piece of junk (Winchester).

I bought a Ruger PC-9 a while back because I was tired of trying to pick up every last piece of .30 carbine brass. The PC-9 is a great gun and I love it... but it doesn't compare to a M1 carbine. The M1 carbine is gas operated and shoots very very smoothly. The PC-9 is blow back operated, has much more recoil than a 9mm should and a rude chunk in the mid point of the bolt cycle like all plow backs do. The PC-9 is also considerable heavier and less compact that a M1-carbine.

I loaded up a couple hundred rounds .30 carbine just yesterday. I pay about 5 X the price of once shot 9mm brass for .30 carbine brass... but it is worth it.

The M1 carbine was the very first mil-surplus weapons I purchased... some 30 years ago or so. It is still one of my favorites. A M1 Garand was the second mil-surplus I purchased... because it looked like a really cool "Big Boy" M1 carbine. If I had to choose one... for pure fun of shooting it would be the M1 carbine.

Last Edited:
It seems in the last couple years the Carbine prices have been going up
faster than M-1 Rifles.:rolleyes: It is a fun gun to shoot and easy to reload for.
Wish I would of bought several more years ago. My Postal Meter mix.
Great shooter. :D P1000052.JPG