JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 7.62x39 has a standard firing pin and a POF 4.5lb. It eats everything. What ammo are you using?
Tula makes up 80% of my 7.62x39. Then it's Wolf or whatever I come across. I tried several lowers. A LaRue MBT, 2 PSAs (3.5lb and their 2 stage). A CMMG 3.5lb. None of them fired reliably. I might retry them with this new firing pin before I upgrade this new lower.

Tula makes up 80% of my 7.62x39. Then it's Wolf or whatever I come across. I tried several lowers. A LaRue MBT, 2 PSAs (3.5lb and their 2 stage). A CMMG 3.5lb. None of them fired reliably. I might retry them with this new firing pin before I upgrade this new lower.
The firing pins are cheap and easy. I was using a 3.5lb POF trigger but hate the strait trigger.

I would suggest the following:

1) Comfortable sling
2) White LED light. I mount on the right side of the muzzle since I have a tape switch.
3) Maybe an optic but with backup iron sights.
4) A good FCG. I use a BCM PNT trigger myself.
5) AR15 Opps kits. Not sure if there are any available or not with panic.
6) A spare BCG or two
7) Cam pins, spare firing pins, couple of firing pin retainers, spare extractor, and ejector springs
8) Tools like punches
9) Lower parts kits possible with or without a FCG or not really depends on what is available right now.
10) Extra buffers and a few extra buffer tube springs.

Went to order a new one and Midway wants $6 to ship a tiny pin and spring! WTH? It will fit in an envelope!

The postal machine will tear it open has to go in a bubble mailer. They could chance to send it in an envelope then if postal machine tears it up the buyer does not get part then calls and yells as customer service then they have ship another and the buyer post negative review because his package is late all for $2 in parts.

$6 is a value when you consider this includes paid employee pulls the requested parts packs them in a bag puts them in a bubble mailer prints postage sticker on it send you tracking number and ships it to your front door.

Last Edited:
It's missing the spring AND the detent that keeps it from falling out.

You lost both of those when you changed your butt stock and the end plate came off the rear of the receiver.

You're getting two types of advice here:

"upgrades" - which are what each person 'likes' on their rifles, and
"spare parts" - for when things wear out.

Don't buy "upgrades" when you don't even shoot these rifles and/or aren't that familiar. Shoot them a bunch and THEN figure out what you like based on what shortcomings you notice (from actually shooting them) and want to solve.

Do buy:

spare bolt
gas rings
firing pin
springs and detents (for when you lose one...)
replacement trigger spring set
buffer spring
extractor spring
extractor

The only thing you're going to break in the next 5K rounds is your bolt or your extractor. Springs (extractor springs) wear out from cycling.

It isn't that sexy or fun, but those things will keep your guns running. Spend your money on ammo - you're going to need it.

If you want the best springs, www.sprinco.com is your friend.

I had not put my spares together in my carry case that I bought for all of my spare parts. So took the time one Saturday to put all of spare parts together and found a few gas tube pins in there. So I just put the one from Primary Arms in my spares case. Also found a few spare gas tubes that I bought as well.

I was just keeping my parts in few large plastic cases but now it is almost fully organized now. Need to buy a few Sons of Liberty Blaster Starter Kits so I have a few spare parts for my lowers. Probably not going to need them but you never know.

I've found an enhanced (meaning big AF) bolt catch/release to be pretty handy, specifically the Geissele marine. I also like the Magpul K2 grip but grips are gonna be a personal taste kind of thing and that's it for "upgrades" I like. I find it pretty hard to get mad at mil-spec stuff when it more or less works as is for a reasonable price so the rest of my internals are plain jane.

I own 4 AR-style rifles. Well, 5 if you count my Extar EP-9, which is a 9mm AR-derived weapon. I bought my first AR in 1999, in anticipation of the Y2K event that never happened.

Even though I have shot the AR in military service, and have owned a few for decades, I consider myself an AR Newbie. I was never really enamored by them in civilian service, but respected their versatility.

They feel wrong, sound wrong, and I've found the .223 caliber to be nearly useless except for predator hunting and wounding humans.

But, I have a few of them and am trying to re-familiarize myself with the system. All of mine have various external upgrades to make them more "mission-ready" as far as sights, furniture, slings, etc. But the internals are all stock.

I've never had a failure of any kind with any of my ARs in civilian or military use. All of my personally owned ARs are pretty much mil-spec variants and of extremely low round counts.

But, things being as they may, politically, I have begun to try to start becoming more familiar with my ARs. I have ordered an extra parts kit, have an extra fire control group, and dozens and dozens of mags. But, what about the parts that are most likely to wear and fail?

What critical areas of my ARs should I be concerned about upgrading before the hammer falls on firearms parts and accessories?

I'm taking my first AR to the range in the morning to sight in a Dagger Defense red dot I just installed. It has Yankee Machining flip-up sights on it as well. It was bought in 1999 and has less than 200 rounds through it. Just freshened up the batteries for the attached light. Hoping to dust off the cobwebs, so to speak, in regards to the platform and wondering if there are any internal upgrades I should consider for the long run.
I have 2 types of AR-15s. Some for casual 'Fun' shooting and some for competition. How about learning how to shoot an AR
in "Highpower" Competition?;) It is a lot of fun and very challenging. Slow fire and rapid fire. Standing sitting and prone.
You compete in separate "Classifications" depending on your skill level such as Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master
and High Master. The AR-15 in 223 'Service Rifle' (kind of like stock class) is capable of perfect scores out to 600 yards.
'Across the Corse' matches are shot at 200-300-600 yards plus many 'Reduced' matches held at 100 yards. ;) Check the
schedule for "Clinics" they are teaching matches for newbies. Lots of help for new shooters.:D
DSC00192.JPG

You're already more mall ninja than I will ever be.
My upgrades : good optic, excellent trigger, and magazines. Lots and lots of magazines.
I think you're the only one that actually looked at the picture of my AR, lol. Lots of suggestions for a light, red dot, and sling. Already have all of that and was looking for info on what parts tend to wear out or break under heavy use, since I have never heavily used an AR, and with ammo for it non-existent, I am not going to burn up the limited rounds I have on hand. Pretty much in SHTF mode now in regards to weapons and ammo.

I think you're the only one that actually looked at the picture of my AR, lol. Lots of suggestions for a light, red dot, and sling. Already have all of that and was looking for info on what parts tend to wear out or break under heavy use, since I have never heavily used an AR, and with ammo for it non-existent, I am not going to burn up the limited rounds I have on hand. Pretty much in SHTF mode now in regards to weapons and ammo.

Springs, detents and bolt components.

And I was teasing you about the mall ninja stuff.
@Reno nailed it, along with several others here: oops kit, gas rings, spare extractor / ejector. A spare, assembled BCG is good. Me, I think the $80 towards an upgraded trigger (Larue MBT-2S) is money well spent.
Make sure all the criticals attachment points are staked.

Well, talking general maintenance, a couple of 'Field Repair Kits' probably aren't a bad idea, something along these lines...

AERO PRECISION AR-15 M4E1 FIELD REPAIR KIT | Brownells

$.02 worth,
Boss

PS. That way they'll be in tip-top shape when you have to register them with the state next year under SB 5217

Bill (you can comment here): Washington State Legislature

From Sect. 3.

(2)(a) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for,
or completed an application to purchase an assault weapon before
January 1, 2022, and who has registered:eek: the assault weapon with the Washington state patrol may:
Continue to possess and transport the assault weapon;

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Oregon Arms Collectors June 2024 Gun Show
  • Portland, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top