JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this isn't the greatest forum for this topic but figured there might be someone here that could help me out. We are looking at houses and found a great one but it needs some major renovations inside. I am looking to talk with a general contractor to get a firmer idea on costs for such an undertaking.

It would require a couple of interior walls to be taken down, one of which is probably load bearing, along with a complete kitchen and a bathroom remodel.

I would love to bend someone's ear for a bit if you have expertise in this area. Also any recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

I'm not a contractor but I've done a complete gut jobs on a couple bathrooms and a kitchen. If you have any handiness I suggest DIY for everything except the load bearing wall removal and subsequent beam instalation. You will save a ton of $$ and you can't beat the sense of accomplishment you will get.

As far as costs, professional kitchen remodels are usually between $15 and $25k and bathrooms are probably between $5 and $15k. If you did go the DIY route, expect it to cost twice as much as you think and take twice as long but it will be half the cost of professional. None of it is rocket science and YT is a fantastic resource.

It's the wall and timeline to complete that worries me. That's also one of the drivers to talk to someone who does it.

It will be as expensive as you want to make it.

A kitchen can be anywhere between $10k-$60k, bathroom $5k-$20k.
Load bearing wall, probably looking at $4k+?
Just a regular wall probably $1k-$2k.

Will really depend on your timeline and how busy contractors are.

REALLY need to do some homework. Get the right person, who will do the work right.
Might want to consult an engineer.

Also want to consider what's in those walls?

Get a reputable contractor. Don't go cheap! You get what you pay for, and it'll cost you more in the end.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top