JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Iam looking to purchase my first 10/22. I would like to get some feedback as to which gun may be better. A Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 10/22. I'm not looking to do a lot of customization right away just want an accurate inexpensive plinker.

I think the Marlin is a model 60 but nonetheless I recommend the Ruger. If you can find a pre 1985 or so, on here or elsewhere those are the shooters. Nothing wrong with the new ones just kinda cheap pot metal recievers (thanks Bill) but still a very fun and accurate rifle either way. Id go with wood and stainless.

You can't go wrong with the Ruger. I bought mine three years ago from Bimart for $180 and I can't believe how accurate mine is. I have the basic synthetic/stainless model. This thing is amazingly accurate compared to every other 22 I have shot before. I can hit soda cans at 125 yards with a 3x9 scope and bulk federal ammo every time, better yet its easy to do. I don't even consider my self much of a marksmen, the gun is just that good. I am really interested in trying longer distances with higher quality ammo. My Aunt has one that she modded out(way to modded IMHO) that shoots with surgeon like precision. I know that isn't what you are looking for but, the ruger probably has the most options compared to almost anything else out there. Good luck and I hope this helps your decision.

I've got 3 ruger 10/22's now. Love them. There's as many options for modifications as the AR platform (well, nearly...). The good thing is you can get into them for $200. From there, you can slowly dump more and more and more and more $ into them so slowly and consistantly that after a few years you'll realize you could have bought an AR for the same price. Yes, I have a problem. Volquartsen is a WONDERFUL website. I recommend their Bolt Release and Target Hammer Kit. Midway sells it for about $45. Best money to spend on them. From there, the stock and barrel will get swapped out over time.

Enough about my addiction. Final advise is if you do buy new, BiMart has them on sale for ~$180 every month or so. That's the best price around. The older ones with the metal trigger guard is cool too.

Both are great guns. My first .22 was the Marlin 60, 14 round tube fed. IMHO just as accurate and almost as reliable as the 10/22 but not as many options for customizing. I recently accuired a Ruger 10/22 and it shot great right out of the box. Comes with the 10 round magazine, hence the 10 in 10/22. I've never had a failure to feed except for when I was screwing around and firing as fast I could. Lots of options for customizing but I'm not sure that most people ever get around to doing anything other than buying a 25 round clip and slapping a scope on them. I also personally like the look and feel of the marlin better and think a marlin shore is purty in stainless

Let me give you the alternative view: Ruger and 10/22s are the sux.

Mine came without extractor parts. Yes, they shipped a non-functional gun. Granted, Ruger made it right but the thing is a POS and not the 10/22 I grew up shooting in the early 80s with my uncle.

ruger fixed it and did you think your 200 dollar gun was going to be a 600 dollar gun.

:s0077:

Ruger didn't fix it, I fixed it and that was after arguing with them about the parts the failed to put into the rifle. No where did I state that I thought it was going to be a $600 dollar gun. A POS is a POS.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top