JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you find a certain suppressor that you want to purchase then look around at various outlets for them. Silencer Shop, Capital Armory, Hansohn Brothers. Many sites list what calibers the cans will handle. If they aren't listed DON'T shoot them through the can. That's one of the problems with multi-caliber cans. Safety first!

My preference is Capital Armory (Austin TX), but everyone has a favorite.

I've sent back my SiCo Omega 30, Maxim 9, and Rugged obsidian 45 for service. Also my DeadAir Wolverine got a part mailed to me. All three of those companies were fantastic to work with. All those cans are nicely built and do a great job for me through many thousands of rounds. As I've had them longer and longer, length and weight became my main priority unless it was a subsonic caliber. Then sound of the can is a priority for me.

There really needs to be a sticky made for sage advice for those new to suppressors and looking to make their first purchases. This same question comes up regularly in some form or another on a regular basis.

Lots of wisdom in this thread already.

When I started looking into making my first suppressor purchase I went to a couple different shops. The "best" suppressors to purchase happened to be the ones in each respective dealers case. I then took my research online and started talking with individuals who had hands on experience with varied brands and caliber suppressors. It didn't take long to figure out that most dealers are just trying to sell you the inventory they have on hand which could have been in that case for years in some cases. Most suppressors don't stay in stock at dealers very long, especially right now, if they are worth owning. So most of the suppressors you will find in dealer inventory right now is models they can't sell.

I got lucky and had a business trip to Austin that lined up to my early days of suppressor buying so I was able to get hands on experience with most every suppressor available from the primary manufacturers when I visited Silencer Shops brick and mortar store. That helped greatly in conjunction with the research I had conducted. No pressure but your pretty much making lifetime decisions here as there is no value currently in used suppressor sales except for very specific items like military clone builds.

Absolutely easiest way, at least in my opinion, to acquire suppressor.

Buy a good quality suppressor kit, good ones still exist, even though more and more are being raided. Submit Efiled form 1 via the ATFs website. Wait roughly one month. Engrave and drill some holes. Enjoy.

Second easiest method is Silencershop. Create a profile in their site. Buy what you want. Pay for everything including the stamp on their site. Go to store with kiosk. Do finger prints. Take selfie with phone. Insert into profile. Silencershop sends you electronic paperwork to electronically sign. Sit back and wait. Buy adapters in waiting period. Get call from FFL 6-24 months later. Go fill out 4473, get can, go home, enjoy.

My first can was a SilencerCo Specwar762 and I wish I would've gone titanium instead of steel. Like stated before, having that much weight on the end of your rifle really makes it tougher to manage. That being said, I have taken 3 deer with it and I am amazed at the sound reduction.

My first can was a SilencerCo Specwar762 and I wish I would've gone titanium instead of steel. Like stated before, having that much weight on the end of your rifle really makes it tougher to manage. That being said, I have taken 3 deer with it and I am amazed at the sound reduction.
Thats where SBR's come in handy :).

There are many reasons for a suppressor and sound suppression is one of the benefits. But for many applications that may not be the first priority. Some change the point of impact more than others, suppress flash better or have better longevity. It's important to recognize your priorities which may not line up with others.

When the military goes shopping for silencers they look at

1. Point of impact change
2. Flash suppression
3. Size and weight
4. Sound suppression.

In that order. In the civilian world its generally sound suppression first and foremost with size and weight secondary. Almost no one cares about flash suppression but size and weight often factor in.

Just bought a Dead Air Mask HD for rimfire and a Griffin Resistance 45. A good rimfire can and an entry level pistol can. I used Silencer Shop and went to NW Armory to use the kiosk and the paperwork was a snap. Now when I go to buy more cans all my info is on file at Silencer Shop to make the process even easier. Is it the best way to do it? I don't know, but it was simple.

I currently have 4 cans waiting release at Adaptive Firing Solutions.

After speaking to Steve each time I was doing a Private Party transfer, I was finally ready to purchase of my suppressors.

I've heard Reno's rifles suppressed and it is worth it.

I'm almost ready to go the Form 1 route, just have some financial obligations to take care of first.

Sounds like you are doing your homework. I'd recommend talking to Steve at AFS, he's a great wealth of knowledge and is willing to listen to what you are trying to do.

Someone already recommended consideration of muzzle devices, and I agree big time. My first can was a SilencerCo Hybrid 46, and while that was in jail, I purchased a SandMan-S. Bought the KeyMo adapter for the Hybrid and all Dead Air muzzle devices. Love the one handed lockup system and the ability to tuck this system into a handguard without worrying about a locking collar. With Midwest Industries and Aero making suppressor compatible larger radius handguards, I definitely appreciate the flexibility of barrel length and handguard length knowing I can tuck over 4" of the suppressor without losing any ability to remove or install the suppressor without removing the rail.
Obviously there are far more considerations to take into account (price, recommendations, performance, availability). But unless you are going to have dedicated suppressors for individual firearms, it's definitely something to think about.

Last Edited:
To provide some background on the prior comments about center fire pistols not being very quiet suppressed, keep in mind that noise exits the ejection port in addition to the muzzle. That usually means that the center fire pistol with subsonic ammo and a suppressor is hearing safe without earplugs but not movie quiet.

22LR is where the quiet target practice happens. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that a center fire rifle can is the lowest priority unless you want to use it for hunting. Supersonic sound emissions can still damage your hearing after the bullet leaves the can.

To provide some background on the prior comments about center fire pistols not being very quiet suppressed, keep in mind that noise exits the ejection port in addition to the muzzle. That usually means that the center fire pistol with subsonic ammo and a suppressor is hearing safe without earplugs but not movie quiet.

22LR is where the quiet target practice happens. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that a center fire rifle can is the lowest priority unless you want to use it for hunting. Supersonic sound emissions can still damage your hearing after the bullet leaves the can.
There are important exceptions. The 300 BO shooting subs can be as quiet as a suppressed .22.

Last Edited:
I believe everyone is different in what they really want from current suppressor technology. I have 5 suppressors, and don't own one 22lr can. It was the least important to me and still is. My wife just bought me a Henry 357 model X lever action rifle that will shoot subsonic 38 special pretty damn quiet I'm sure because the action will remain closed. I shoot 22lr though my centerfire cans and it's fun, but after all these years it's still my last choice to spend dedicated money on. Unfortunately people will all choose slightly different priorities, and that's why it's been such a growing market. 22lr is probably the most popular though. Try as many out as you can is the best advice I think.

Flash suppression is #2 on your list. I think the Civi side will be up to speed soon. I would agree with the list you provided in the order it was written.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top