JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am FINALLY making the leap into cans, I've done a bit of research and watched dozens of review vids, but with so many options, and the time commitment, I'm still indecisive and intimidated.
I would love any and all input about what suppressors you've have bad/good experience with, or which make/models you think I should go for. Or what is your best bang for your buck/best for shooting multiple calibers.

I've saved enough to buy 3 or 4 cans, it sounds like I can get a discount on transfers as well as purchase price. So I'm mainly looking at the MYSTIC X, COMSIC, INFINITY X & the VECTOR from liberty. They seem reasonably priced, enabling me to get 4, while still competing with the heavy hitter companies.

Thanks!

Had to look at the Liberty cans to see what they were, hadn't heard of the brand. What made you look towards them?

It looks like you are liking for universal cans? While this isn't the worst thing, it usually means heavy for caliber, unless using in the bigger calibers. However an 8" can that weighs nearly 2 pounds is big for smaller calibers.

I usually say, start with 22, then go from there. A dedicated 22 can is definitely one of the most enjoyable cans one can own. I would say avoid aluminum for 22 as it can be harder to clean than other metals like steel or titanium.

Pistol cans, especially used serviceable ones, can be great "multi caliber" cans. They don't always accept rifle calibers, but some do.

Rifle rated cans, aren't always the greatest to be used for everything, it can be done though. They are usually heavier. Not always.

If day figure out what guns you would use the most suppressed. Start their. If it is your rifles, get rifle cans. If it is pistols, get pistol cans. Sure, buying 4 large and or heavy multi cans will work, but then you are stuck using a heavy can on a light pistol or 10/22.

Best of luck!

I'm in the same boat as you in terms of wanting the best bang for my buck and hopefully something that is a "do all" but the conclusion I tend to find in life is "a jack of all trades is a master of none" and it makes sense to buy 2 high quality specific cans than 4 more or less multi purpose ones. Been mostly looking at brands that carry military contacts.

As a dealer for Liberty I can say that they are a good company with good customer service. Buying your first suppressor is very intimidating to say the least. There are so many options and subjects to consider.

As others have stated, multi cal cans may not be the best for one particular caliber but they are still very good at what they do. If you are just looking to have fun with them, then go for it.

I could get you a great deal on those cans but I doubt you would want to come out to Gresham where I am. Good luck.

You may want to look at SilencerShop. While they have slim pickings right now, the price you see is the price you pay. Tax Stamp(s) notwithstanding.
Purchasing from anyone else, unless they have the cans you want in stock AND you buy FROM THEM, you'll have to pay transfer fees which I've seen range from $50-$100 PER item. So factor that into your decision as well.

As far as can choice, most will get a rimfire can (full auto rated, usually allows for 17hmr, 5.7, 22mag), a pistol can (9 or 45), and a rifle can (usually 30cal).
I'd start there and use those for a while, then figure out what you like and what works better for you. I started with a 30cal can for versatility, and while it works great on a variety of platforms, I want to get a dedicated 223/556 can with a priority on weight over sound levels.

As Reno mentioned, what are the primary purposes of the firearms you are looking to suppress? What calibers are you looking to suppress?

Best advice I got was to purchase mid-tier cans and get a can per application/host. Don't try to make one can work for multiple calibers and applications. You usually end up spending close to the cost of another can and stamp for adapters. It took spending a lot of money on suppressors to finally understand the wisdom of this advice.

Anything that will be exiting the barrel at supersonic speeds is not going to be quite so don't chase DB's. You are really only looking to get to hearing safe on super sonic centerfire. You are better off chasing a minimum weight and length that will meet your shooting style.

2nd best advice, in line with Reno again, start with a rimfire can or if going forward with buying 3 or 4 cans at one time make sure one is a rimfire can. You want this can to be user serviceable (meaning you can disassemble it to its primary components). I also recommend staying away from aluminum for your first rimfire can. Go with something that is comprised of all stainless steel and/or titanium. Number one recommendation here would be the Dead Air Mask. Followed closely by the EA NYX or NYX mod 2. Rimfire cans should be the only cans you need to take apart and clean. If the components are stainless steel and titanium you can use a sonic cleaner. Aluminum in a sonic cleaner is a no go.

Centerfire cans do not generally require cleaning and thus do not need to be user serviceable (don't need to be able to come apart). So don't needlessly spend money and time searching for centerfire cans that can be taken apart. If for some reason you need to clean one, look up "the dip".

If you are only going to get one centerfire pistol can, get a 45 caliber can so you can shoot most any pistol caliber smaller than 45 through it also.

My general recommendations are as follows:

22lr:
  1. Dead Air Mask
  2. Energetic Arms NYX Mod 1 or Mod 2
Centerfire Pistol:
  1. Rugged Obsidian 45 (usable even on some of the big bore rifle cartridges like 450 bushmaster)
  2. CGS Mod9
  3. CGS Nautilus
Centerfire Rifle:
  1. YHM (Turbo T2, Turbo K, Resonator, Resonator K)
  2. Rex Silentium MG7
PCC:
  1. YHM R9
  2. Rex Silentium MG7

+1 ^^^^^^

It really is hard to beat YHM cans in today's market. They perform at or better than the cans 2-3 times their price. Newer ones come threaded in the industry standard, so you can run just about any mount you wish to. The R9 is an insanely underpriced beast of a little can. Sounds great on 16" AR15s as well for being essentially a bored out Turbo K without the nickel blast baffle.

+1 ^^^^^^

It really is hard to beat YHM cans in today's market. They perform at or better than the cans 2-3 times their price. Newer ones come threaded in the industry standard, so you can run just about any mount you wish to. The R9 is an insanely underpriced beast of a little can. Sounds great on 16" AR15s as well for being essentially a bored out Turbo K without the nickel blast baffle.
It is a great can if you can find the accessories for it in stock anywhere. They have been hard to find for months. As a dealer, I hear about customers buying the can and having it sit for months because they can't find parts for it. Plus the booster and piston are not included in the price.

It is a great can if you can find the accessories for it in stock anywhere. They have been hard to find for months. As a dealer, I hear about customers buying the can and having it sit for months because they can't find parts for it. Plus the booster and piston are not included in the price.
They come in stock on occasion. I'm not much fan of suppressor use on actual pistols, so I haven't much need for the booster. I scored 2 3 lug mounts early on. I'm debating getting a plan b for one of them. The Cherry bomb is itty bitty vs 3 lug, and it may look much nicer on one of the lever guns than a 3 lug.

Basically any booster in that thread pitch should work, so at least your not specifically limited to a YHM booster.

As shipped they can be mounted to any AR (16") or PCC so long as it's not 1/2x36.

An R9 is not ideal and would not be one of my choices for use on a pistol. Its diameter is not suited to pistol use and you have the added expense of the booster putting it into the price range of other pistol specific cans. Sure it can be used on one but you are better off choosing something else. I have two R9's in jail and they will be dedicated to PCC's and may see some time on a 300 blackout host.

I have not had any issues getting YHM hardware in a timely manner but I start searching and setup email in stock notifications when I buy my suppressors and don't wait to start looking when the stamp comes back.

Thanks everyone for your input!! All great info/advice. For those who asked, I am looking for something more versatile than weapon specific because I buy/sell/trade guns enough that I wanted something I can swap to a new gat pretty easily if I decided to part with it.

I was recommended liberty from a local FFL, and look to me like a great suppressor. But what do I know

Thanks everyone for your input!! All great info/advice. For those who asked, I am looking for something more versatile than weapon specific because I buy/sell/trade guns enough that I wanted something I can swap to a new gat pretty easily if I decided to part with it.

I was recommended liberty from a local FFL, and look to me like a great suppressor. But what do I know
This is what I would say is the best "do all" can on the market. Theoretically it can shoot anything from 22lr (since user serviceable) to 45-70, and about anything that is smaller than 45 diameter. All pistol calibers (up to 45 cal, no 50s) supported via adapters. Takes three lug, boosters. Can even shoot 338 Lapua Magnum through it with a 24" barrel.

Like those mentioned above you will end up with 3 suppressors. My first was a Sandman S and Octane 9. Great cans, Dead Air's keymo mounting system is one of the best if not the best for one handed lockup. Mounting systems is something you need to look at too, because if you jump around different supressor companies you will end up investing alot in muzzle devices. Sandman S is a little heavy but will outlive everything. New trends are the titainium cans like my Rugged Radiant; super light, but some have barrel restrictions. These are more designed for PRS.

3 silencers. Oh . Good one. 3 silencers. ha ha ha Drinks more beer...

Try some out before you buy. Not indoors , not at a range. OK maybe a range but an outdoor one with no one else there so you can try them out au natural. Silencers all sound the same with ear plugs/muffs on. You might find that pistols dont suppress that well anyway and its not worth the effort going for lightweight piston cans . Thats my personal take on them. The 22 pistols all get cans and the PCC's get cans , and the rifles too but centerfire pistols? I dont bother. It kills the balance and makes them next to useless and they still sound like a locomotive air brake coupler breaking loose.

3 silencers. Oh . Good one. 3 silencers. ha ha ha Drinks more beer...

Try some out before you buy. Not indoors , not at a range. OK maybe a range but an outdoor one with no one else there so you can try them out au natural. Silencers all sound the same with ear plugs/muffs on. You might find that pistols dont suppress that well anyway and its not worth the effort going for lightweight piston cans . Thats my personal take on them. The 22 pistols all get cans and the PCC's get cans , and the rifles too but centerfire pistols? I dont bother. It kills the balance and makes them next to useless and they still sound like a locomotive air brake coupler breaking loose.

Thats true, I should have specified "at least 3 cans." as I am coming up on 6 now lol. He is also right though, alot of the rifle cans (and even pistol/PCC) end up sounding really similar. Suppressing 5.56 wont ever be movie quiet. For some of my SBR 5.56 builds I just use the cans as a concussion/flash dampener really.

Agreed with @wired. I've had best results with suppressing PCCs / subgun. Few negatives, quiet them down well; with subsonic loads, very quiet. Just a delight all around. I find anything rimfire a total bore, but still, suppressed for the few we keep. Put a can on 5.56㎜ shorty too, because, why not. But running a silencer on centerfire handguns? Tried it, so beyond "meh". YMMV.

Last Edited:
Yeah whenever I see someone talking about how all they can hear is the firing pin and the action on their 9mm pistol with whatever flavor of the month silencer they are using and how it's mouse fart quiet I just want to shove them in the trunk of my car and drive them to an audiologist to get checked out 'cause there is something seriously wrong with their hearing. You can hear that 124 dB clanging and wooshing from a few hundred yards away.

I'd have to shove them in the trunk because they'd be talking about the silencer the whole time if I didnt.

3 silencers. Oh . Good one. 3 silencers. ha ha ha
OP, read this, read it well. This man has likely suppressed every gun he owns. I say likely, because he has probably lost count!

I'll add, multi gun suppressors kind of suck. Swapping back and forth sucks. Much easier to just get one for each gun that is specific to that gun. Yes, that adds $$$$ to the equation, but I think it's the best way to do it. Especially if you account for the fact 5-6 adapters for that 1 can could have purchased another can.

I started with 1 rimfire can, now I've got 4, because I hated having to take it on and off. It sounds really 1st world problem, but it's annoying. Take two threaded 22s to the range, constantly swapping. Meh....

Then I started looking at the 1 9mm can I had and the 4-6 guns it got swapped around to. So I changed that up by adding more 9mm cans. Soon, they will all have their own.

Its certainly a rabbit hole, I know, because I started looking at my shotgun and before I knew it a Salvo was in jail.

If I could ONLY buy one, it would be that Bushwhacker I posted above. Thankfully we still have the ability to buy as many as we can afford!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top