JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Are you absolutely set on getting a giant pistol thing? If you want something that someone of smaller stature with little firearms experience (your wife?) can wield with minimal training, I think a stock is essential. Low recoil would also be a priority hence the suggestion for using a mid-length gas system and a brake. I think BCM is offering 14.5"ers with that new battle comp thing (basically a cheap KAC triple tap) pinned now too.

If you don't believe me about how handy and lightweight a pencil barrel can be, go pick one up at a gun store. Most places will have something like a Colt 6520 in stock I expect, and since the one I linked above is even shorter it will be even more light and handy. Unfortunately Colt does not make any with a flat top upper receiver, pinned 14.5" barrel, and mid-length gas system, but BCM is a top quality manufacturer too.

If what you are mostly looking for is fun on the range, then by all means get an AR pistol or PLR-16, they are tons of fun. If you are mostly looking for a useful firearm that can be wielded by your wife I would stick to carbines or full size regular pistols that have readily available extended capacity magazines like a sig p226 (or beretta 92 if you like those better) as you mentioned in your original post.

I have a keltec SU-16C and really like it. I've had more jams with it than I anticipated, but they've all been with reloads, and mainly starting loads.

It's lightweight, fun and comfortable to shoot, doesn't take up much room when folded, and the bipod (while crude) works decent. I was originally going to get a PLR-16 because they're slightly less ugly, but I'm glad I have a stock because it's much more useful.

On the tec-9, I'd give my wife a brick or a butter knife before I'd buy her a tec 9. They look cool, but that's about it.

You can also get a ruger mini-14 with a folding stock for about half of what an AR cost too.

If you really want a close quarter weapon for someone that isn't proficient with firearms, a pistol might not be the best choice. Even an AR type rifle is difficult to use in a panic situation unless the operator has spent a considerable amount of practice time.

A shotgun in 16 or 20 gauge might be a better choice??

If you really want a close quarter weapon for someone that isn't proficient with firearms, a pistol might not be the best choice. Even an AR type rifle is difficult to use in a panic situation unless the operator has spent a considerable amount of practice time.

A shotgun in 16 or 20 gauge might be a better choice??

I wouldn't give a shotgun to someone untrained in the use of firearms. They are easy to use when all you have to do is shoot pump shoot pump, but as soon as you get into anything else like doing combat reloads, doing slug changeovers, or even just reloading the tube magazine that all changes. It is also important to be aware of your shot pattern at different ranges. Shotguns are deceptively complicated weapons systems to run.

You also have to worry about the liability of what happens when you miss. If you miss with a handgun or a carbine, that's one round going through the wall behind the bad guy. If you miss with a shotgun, that is NINE rounds destroying whatever is behind the bad guy. Even if you take an accurate shot, you still may get a couple pieces of shot that miss the bad guy's center of mass and go through to whatever is in the background (why you should be familiar with your shot pattern so you know at what range you need to do a slug changeover).

A semi auto carbine is much easier to shoot and reload. Pretty much all there is to it is flick safety off, pull trigger. Reloading is easy enough, just insert a box magazine and press the bolt release. Much easier than doing combat reloads with a shotgun or trying to jam shells up a tube (heck I'm still pretty fumbly at that). Recoil is easier to control for people of smaller stature too. You also get 30rd magazines so you probably don't need to worry about reloading anyway.

Shotguns are GREAT for defense if you live by yourself and have trained with them. 00 buck is one of the most offensive rounds you can buy and if my only goal is to neutralize a threat as quickly and efficiently as possible I can't think of much anything that will do it better. That said, if you have family who might be behind walls you shoot at or you need someone untrained to be able to defend themselves, a shotgun is one of the last weapons systems I would recommend.

To clarify: this gun is mostly for me to play with. And fwiw my wife has nearly as much experience with firearms as i do, but pistols tend to hurt her wrist and the recoil on full size rifles beats her shoulder. Thus the pistol caliber carbine...
The uzi carbine is probably what i'll end up with at this point. I do think a stock is a necessity but i love how compact the uzi stock is when folded. I still want a plr, but i think it'll have to wait. Macs and tec9s are out because i've heard too many bad things about them. A Skorpion would be a cool toy, but like the plr, no stock makes it less than useful. I don't like that you can't fire the kel tec carbines when they are folded. Ar platform guns don't interest me too much at this point. And the uzi just looks so cool :)
Do i need any more rationalization?
Thanks for the ideas so far- it's really helping me decide what is important to me.

I can't know her proficiency level over the internet, but if rifles are hurting her shoulder you may want to take a look at her shooting stance. Does she have the butt tucked in nice and snug to her chest or is it higher up and recoiling off her collar bone?

AR pistols are pretty damn fun though (haven't used a PLR-16 personally but it should be similiar) so if it is mostly for you to play with then no rationalization is needed. :)

Uzi is too heavey for the 9mm it shoots. Everything is steel and by the time you get all of it together you have alot of weight for the power you are getting. Maybe an M1Carbine in 30 carbine caliber. Women handle them well and you are moving a 110 grain bullet at about 1700fps. Lots of accessories for them too.

But then alot of ARs are comming down in price and the 223 outdoes the 30 carbine by a mile.

jj

Ammo cost is definately a factor for me. My father-in-law has an m1 carbine and that is pretty fun, but I want something more compact than that or my AR.
That su-16c is looking better and better though, I'm definately going to check one out before I drop money. I can probably get one of those and a masterpiece mac11 for the same money as an uzi...

another vote for the PLR, even thought it stock form isn't probally isn't the best CQ weapon.

I just put together mine today... it is begging for a suppressor, damn thing is loud. At least needs a flash suppressor, thing puts out pretty impressive fireballs.

You'd wouldn't think it, but this thing is incredibly accurate for what it is.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top