JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
All,

I may have bought a new truck in California and plan to drive it back to Alaska. This is a chance to purchase some powder and primers at lower 48 prices and bring them home with me.

I'm looking for recommendations for a good location to purchase powder and primers. Washington state is probably the best bet tax wise. Thanks for your input.

Alan
Valdez, AK

I would check on the laws in Canada before traveling through with Powder and Primers.

Any Bi Mart store or Wholesale Sports or Cabelas would of course carry reloading powder and primers. Actually OREGON has NO SALES TAX so it's hard to figure out how Washington would be better in that reguards.

Thanks for the info. I am aware of Canadian law. Washington doesn't charge sales tax to Alaskan residents, so that's why I mentioned it. Not sure if I will be crossing through Oregon or not. Cabela's didn't have what I need, will check on the other two vendors.

I want to know how u could NOT GO THRU oregon, LOL.
right now,Bimart has powder and primers on sale,they beat just about everybody's price,and there are quite a few stores up and down the I*5 corridor.they are kinda small,so u may have to hit several to fill ur want list.they are a great place to shop,gun friendly,etc.

yea California to Washington without going through Oregon would be a LONG trip

Sounds like I better go through Oregon to keep the peace. What's happening is that the truck is being bought from a dealer in Riverside and they are delivering it to the border of Arizona. I have family in Arizona and will leave from Prescott for the trip around the Fourth of July.

I'm not familiar with the vendors that have been mentioned, so it will be a good thing to check them out. We pay $15 more per thousand on primers and you can't find CCI 400s anywhere right now. Powder is about $10 to $15 more per pound. You can bring 5,000 primers and 8 kilos of powder through Canada without arousing concern.

Thanks for the info!

I ran into a Canadian Citizen in Cabela's the other day. Told me that the max powder he could bring back was one pound.

Rather than getting involved with Canadian Customs, and subsequently with US customs when entering AK, why not just place an order with Powder Valley Inc and have them ship it directly to your location. Even with Hazmat and shipping their prices are good enough to save with a large order. Also, their "tax rate" is even better. There is no Sales Tax for shipped orders.

I ran into a Canadian Citizen in Cabela's the other day. Told me that the max powder he could bring back was one pound.

Rather than getting involved with Canadian Customs, and subsequently with US customs when entering AK, why not just place an order with Powder Valley Inc and have them ship it directly to your location. Even with Hazmat and shipping their prices are good enough to save with a large order. Also, their "tax rate" is even better. There is no Sales Tax for shipped orders.

We don't have UPS Ground Service available in Alaska. I can't order something online and have it delivered here. Our primers and powder come by barge or container ship. The limit for powder in Canada is 8 kilograms. Smokeless can't be in a container bigger than 4 kilos and black powder containers have to be no bigger than 500 grams. You can bring 5,000 primers or 5,000 primed cases through. We don't drive south very often, so this is a chance to buy a little powder at lower 48 prices. There haven't been CCI primers in Anchorage for 2 months.

Thanks for the help!

We don't have UPS Ground Service available in Alaska. I can't order something online and have it delivered here. Our primers and powder come by barge or container ship. The limit for powder in Canada is 8 kilograms. Smokeless can't be in a container bigger than 4 kilos and black powder containers have to be no bigger than 500 grams. You can bring 5,000 primers or 5,000 primed cases through. We don't drive south very often, so this is a chance to buy a little powder at lower 48 prices. There haven't been CCI primers in Anchorage for 2 months.

Thanks for the help!

If I lived in AK I'd give Powder Valley a call anyway. They might just be able to ship these items via Common Carrier. Get all your friends together and make a big order to make the "freight" worthwhile. The folks at Powder Valley are great and if there is a way, they'll find it.

There is an alternative to going through Canada. Take the ferry from WA to AK. It is a bit of a trip but I am told a very nice trip indeed. I,age having 40 lbs of powder. 10000 primers and 20000 bullets

There is an alternative to going through Canada. Take the ferry from WA to AK.

Thanks for the suggestion. We lived in Southeast for 10 years and know about the ferry. I don't have the time from work to wait on the ferry. They must comply with DOT/USCG regs and you can't carry what you might think aboard...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top