JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
well then I got screwed. I thought I had all the notifications set up on all the web stores but guess not.

Are Remington LRPrimers better than CCI Benchrest LRPrimers? What about Remington LRMagnum Primers?

(Im fairly new to reloading and have not used these brands yet...)
What are you loading? Large rifle magnum primers are usually suggested for large capacity cases or slow burning ball powders, especially if you hunt/shoot in very cold temperatures. Nothing wrong with CCI BR-2 primers other than the price and availability. I used to use them for everything, but that was when the price for the benchrest was only $2 more per brick ($9.99 for CCI-200's and $11.99 for BR-2's. Yeah, it was a while back)
If you have any Sportsman's Warehouses close by, keep checking there. As others have noted, they currently have some excellent prices on primers if they are in stock. Large rifle seem to still be AWOL, but my local store has SP, SPM, SR, SRM and LP. Daily limit of just 200 per person, which explains why they actually have some. Prices run from $5.04 to $7.89 per hundred.

What are you loading? Large rifle magnum primers are usually suggested for large capacity cases or slow burning ball powders, especially if you hunt/shoot in very cold temperatures. Nothing wrong with CCI BR-2 primers other than the price and availability. I used to use them for everything, but that was when the price for the benchrest was only $2 more per brick ($9.99 for CCI-200's and $11.99 for BR-2's. Yeah, it was a while back)
If you have any Sportsman's Warehouses close by, keep checking there. As others have noted, they currently have some excellent prices on primers if they are in stock. Large rifle seem to still be AWOL, but my local store has SP, SPM, SR, SRM and LP. Daily limit of just 200 per person, which explains why they actually have some. Prices run from $5.04 to $7.89 per hundred.
Hunting, and sometimes it does get very cold but its not something Im worried about I just "thought" I read somewhere that some reloaders say to use magnum primers and they get extra velocities. Its not something Im going to worry about Im just thankful I picked up a brick of good primers, regardless of price Im set for many years of hunting now.

I was in the Sportsmans Warehouse in Seattle today. They had multiple different primer sizes, limit of 200 total primers per customer. I got large pistol, Remington 2 1/2. Cost was 5.19 per hundred...
Also they had well stocked range ammo of various calibers. I bought .22lr for .08 and .380 acp for I think it was $27 a box for Blazer. Lowest I noticed on a box of 9mm was $18...
It was the most ammo I have seen on the shelves of a retail store in months and the first time I have found any primers for sale locally even longer...
Hopefully the tide is turning.

Last Edited:
well then I got screwed. I thought I had all the notifications set up on all the web stores but guess not.

Are Remington LRPrimers better than CCI Benchrest LRPrimers? What about Remington LRMagnum Primers?

(Im fairly new to reloading and have not used these brands yet...)
IMO, you didn't get screwed. You now have a brick of premium LRP. You can possibly trade that for a brick-plus of standard LRP from someone who is jones-ing for BR2s.
BR2s have always commanded a premium. Last time I bought some, they were 30% more than regular LRP. Sure, it was a WTF moment, and have never bought them since because I'm not consistent enough to tell the difference between standard and BR primers.

IMO, you didn't get screwed. You now have a brick of premium LRP. You can possibly trade that for a brick-plus of standard LRP from someone who is jones-ing for BR2s.
BR2s have always commanded a premium. Last time I bought some, they were 30% more than regular LRP. Sure, it was a WTF moment, and have never bought them since because I'm not consistent enough to tell the difference between standard and BR primers.
Well compared to the Remington primers available on Brownells but its good to hear that the BR2s are premium I don't mind paying more for quality. Ive just never used them so had no idea what brands are better or if it matters. I wont be trading them off as I just want a supply to feed a hunting rifle so I'm no longer dependent on manufactured ammo prices and supply.

Well compared to the Remington primers available on Brownells but its good to hear that the BR2s are premium I don't mind paying more for quality. Ive just never used them so had no idea what brands are better or if it matters. I wont be trading them off as I just want a supply to feed a hunting rifle so I'm no longer dependent on manufactured ammo prices and supply.
A brick of primers will last a long time loading for a hunting rifle.

There are primers at Fisherman's today.
Small Pistol Primers $11 per 100
Large Magnum Rifle Primers $14 per 100
Limit 3
Yeah. Let them eat 'em, at $11.00/100 I went up there a week or so ago because it was mentioned here they had small rifle mag, was it? I guess somebody's buying them though.

Yeah. Let them eat 'em, at $11.00/100 I went up there a week or so ago because it was mentioned here they had small rifle mag, was it? I guess somebody's buying them though.
At least this means that we should be seeing more large rifle primers in the next few weeks but the prices will likely hurt, a lot.

Just an observation, wholesale primers costs to me are about $65/1000 so retail cost of around $100/1000 isn't an unreasonable mark up. I don't like it either but we are finding the new normal on a lot of things.

Show me where today I can buy American made pistol primers for $50.00/1000 retail and I go get 25,000 right now.
I just picked up a 1,000 Match Small Pistol Magnum Primers GM200M just this last week for $65 and there is even a guy on this site selling Primers by the case for $80‐90 per 1,000 retail as a small business. Hell I've picked up small & large pistol and small rifle by the bricks worth just these last several weeks and didn't pay more than $70 a brick.
If the best you're getting is $65/1,000 on 25k wholesale than there not giving you a good or decent wholesale rate. An before it's said that I don't know what I'm talking about(cause it always happens) I've worked both sides of the wholesale market as both seller & purchaser and I still talk with them and a good current rate is about $40-50/1,000 depending on what they are and supply available. On top of all this the average retail for primers is around $85-90 a brick. If you want a better rate, find out what teir you're on and what you're classified as as this effect the pricing you get and see what you can do to get a better rate.
Edit: forgot to add this, check with other wholesalers as well as this affects cost as well. See what other wholesaler are offering and see who has the better deal for your needs.

Last Edited:
They have to mark them up to keep the "flippers" away.
Gnomesayin ?

:)
They only started marking them up once they caught wind that the private market was making double what they were. That's why prices went from $20-30/1,000 to $50-90/1,000 in less than 3 months. Looked up the the average price in the past and current and there is a period in which prices jumped 120% or more in less than a 3 month window. The commercial market saw that the private market made more money than them and in true monopoly fashion they all jumped their prices because they wanted the money instead of letting the private sellers get it. Their cost didn't really change, just the profit margins and when prices first went up I saw those margin and holy hell, some of them were as high as 420% markup.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top