Looking for Portland-Area Gun Restoration

Hello:
My father just gave me two firearms that belonged to my grandfather. One is a Winchester Model 1897 shotgun, and the other is a .22 rifle (don't know much about it). Neither of them are operable, but have most of the parts still intact. I would like to find a gun store or a private gun restorer who could take a look at the guns, find out what is needed to repair them, and make them operable. I want to limit the cost as much as possible, but I also understand that I will have to pay for the necessary parts and labor. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions of a place to take them to repair them and make them operable? They are in pretty good condition, I'm just not a gun expert, and I want to take them out shooting and eventually pass them on to my children. Thank you for reading!
Kevin

Reactions
Kevin,
Welcome to the forum. Here's my advice for you.
1. Unless you personally know someone, stick with a professional gunsmith.
2. Start out with an inspection/cleaning/get-it-working visit to a gunsmith. A full restoration of your guns will cost many hundreds (and i mean many) of dollars. After they are cleaned, inspected and functioning, then you can decide if you want to go with a full restoration.
3. I've had multiple good experiences with Rich's Gun Shop in Donald, Or., not cheap but the work is first rate.
4. If you or your children don't have much experience with guns, I'd recommend some training. The Public Safety Training Center in Clackamas has classes for shooters of every level and a basic gun safety class is pretty inexpensive.

Good on you for passing on the shooting sports to the next generation.

Jim Donahue

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
DRRC .22 Rimfire Challenge Oct 10
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Oregon State Steel Challenge Championship
Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association
Millican, OR 97701, USA
Miller's Quarry Clean-Up
Miller's Quarry
Miller Rd, Mt Hood Village, OR 97067, USA
Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom)
Seattle, WA, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Triple B Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Triple B Guns
    This isn't really a review as we own the store but rather an invitation to come down and visit us. We specialize in hard to find unique guns but...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
Top Bottom