JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok guys. I'd like to get into the centerfire handgun world. At the top of my list is both a 1911 and a nice revolver, but I want the revolver first, so I've been wondering whether an S&W 625 in 45acp would be a good first gun in that I won't add another caliber when I buy a 1911.

Does anyone have any experience with the S&W 625 in 45acp? Likes/dislikes?

I also like the ruger redhawk in 45LC, which would be cheaper, but then I lose the convenience of having a 45acp revolver whose ammo will be interchangeable with the 1911. But is 45acp or 45lc usually cheaper? Maybe the one-caliber convenience might not matter if both the ruger and its ammo is cheaper? Also the redhawk in 45LC leaves the door open for future single action sixgun purchases. So many options!:confused:

Just looking for people's opinions and suggestions I guess. Oh, and I'm leaning toward .45 for home defense and because that boom is just so much fun. The guns will see a fair amount of range time, but i always supplement with my rimfire guns to keep ammo costs down, so I'm pretty set on 45. Thanks for listening to my problems.:p

I have a 625 in .45 acp and absolutely love it, it is definitely one of my favorite smiths that I own. It takes a little time to get used to shooting auto cartridges in a revolver, since the handling and loading is slightly different.

Many people criticize the use of auto cartridges in a wheel gun as being sort of redundant, which is what I used to think (although I still feel that way about the 610). But after owning a 625, it just grew on me, and there is the huge benefit of shared ammunition.

The only dislikes is that I wish that S&W had made a smaller framed .45 acp as well :D

Also one thing that you may want to keep in mind when shopping for a 625, is that they were made in .45 colt as well, those are usually known as the "mountain gun".

You can get the extra cylinder in .45acp for the Ruger .45LC Blackhawks.

I had a S@W 625-6 in the 5" barrel. It was a great shooter and the moon clips allow faster than speedloader reloads. Very quick.
I traded it for a Nice milled AK, but it was a nice revolver. I may someday get another- probably a 325.

Really, I don't think you can go wrong either way - .45 LC or .45 ACP. I have a few N-frame S&Ws in various calibers, one in .45LC and none in .45acp. I was thinking of picking up a 1917 for fun this fall, so it's not like I'm opposed to .45acp wheelguns.

At retail, I don't see a big price difference in either caliber - they are both roughly equal in price if you shop wisely. If you get into reloading, they will cost the same to reload. Ammo costs, in my book, are not a factor. I would discount that from my purchase decision if I were you. .45acp used to have an edge years ago when a) .45LC was less popular than today - the growth of SASS and similar has really altered the economics of shooting .45LC, and b) GI surplus .45acp ammo was always at hand. Those days are more than a decade gone by now.

Now focus on the inherent qualities of the platform/caliber:

Platform: need to moon/demoon with .45acp. Faster reloads (are you into speed shooting, though?).

Caliber: .45LC is much more versatile from it's lowest to most powerful loadings, and has a generally wider variety of bullets it can use. It thus maximizes the value of the revolver platform.

I'm not putting down the 625 - and people really enjoy their JM guns. But their are pros and cons both directions to evaluate. The main one is that ammo costs are just too similar to obsess about, and it's just as easy to buy 500 rounds of each caliber (or reload them) as to buy 1000 rounds of a single one.

Either way, you will enjoy the gun most likely. Big-bore N-frames are fun to shoot.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm kinda leaning toward 45LC now. Oro inspired me to do some online research on ballistics, and I like what I read on the 45LC. I don't reload yet, but I hope to get into it when I can get a place of my own, so thats another plus for LC. Plus if I ever get a big brother for my Henry rimfire, I'll have a matching pistol.

Browsing online, I think I'm partial to stainless in a double action, which is what I'm leaning toward given that this revolver will likely serve as my hd gun for some time (so I'll have to pass on the Hawes - thanks Torpedoman).

So I guess I've chosen a caliber, action, and finish. Progress feels good.:D

I'm with Nick, I really wish they'd make one in a smaller frame suitable for carrying.

I know there would be a cult following for that, but I would not hold my breath for them to make it. Remember when they tried the five-shot .44 Special on the L-frame (the model 696?). That went over like a lead balloon. I'm not sure if they could fit five .45acp bores on the L frame given how much larger they are than the .44. Plus, then they'd have to compete with the marketplace for small concealable "micro" and compact 1911 guns and it would be a tough sell. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good gun, just I don't think the company would make it. I think they are putting their "concealable" .45acp revolver eggs in the 325NG basket. Which is too bad, because I think an all-steel snubby in that caliber would be more pleasant than a fly-weight gun. I think the market will eventually turn on the ultra-light guns and we'll start seeing more practical shooting guns as time goes by.

I tried carrying that size gun a while back - I bought a 2.5" 686 .357. It was still kinda bulky in my opinion. I went back to a K-frame 2.5" .357 for carry as it was so much more slim and easy to carry. That was just me - I love the compact 19/66 models for carry, but plenty of people like the snub-nosed L-frame, too. I do LOVE my 4" 686 - that is one serious gun.

Jhc5 - I'm not trying to talk you out of a .45acp, just pointing out all the pros and cons. Also, are you familiar with the WAC? (Washington Arms Collectors). Gun shows monthly or more in Monroe and Puyallup. Going to shows and talking to folks is a good way to hear lots of perspectives and learn things - of course you hear BS, too, so you gotta ask lots of folks! I'm not a recruiter or anything, just a very happy member. Google them and you can read about it and see their show schedules. The Monroe shows are smaller but still worthwhile, Puyallup shows are huge and can take all day to go through thoroughly.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top