JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Flash back about 25-30 years ago, my dad owned a small little pawn shop in Portland, which was also a FFL. The story goes, a Portland police officer came in and demanded an item from our jewelry case because a lady with him swore up and down that was her piece of jewelry that had been stolen. After repeated threats of "being arrested" one of the counter people handed over the jewelry to the officer. A lawsuit followed with the Portland police which my dad won, but that in general opened a huge can of worms. His store was raided multiple time by the PPD to check records, which always came back clean and well documented. This happened several times over the years. My dads business partner (in the pawn shop) come to find out was not doing as he should have with his personal taxes. So a trial for the business partners personal taxes started and essentially anyone that had loaned him $5 was linked into the case. In the end everyone was charged with the "knowledge that someone was going to commit tax fraud" (mind you I was about 14-15 when all this happened so that's how i remember it) and my dad ended up spending about 4 years in Vegas.

Flash forward to now, I'm in my 40s, my dad is about to hit 70, has been a business owner for the last 20 years, has been an over all decent person to the world. But is still labeled a felon. With much pushing from me he started to explore getting his right back and he found who he thought was a good 2A lawyer, who ended up being a joke that couldn't even respond properly to the DA when they slightly pushed back.

I am just trying to to track down someone that isn't going to fold under some slight push back from the DA that's still claiming my dad could be a threat.

Any recommendations you could send my way would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!

Instead of cut-throat (which could mean combative, and combative lawyers are expensive for their clients) you might consider finding a lawyer who is well connected with whoever decides about restoring your dad's rights.

Instead of cut-throat (which could mean combative, and combative lawyers are expensive for their clients) you might consider finding a lawyer who is well connected with whoever decides about restoring your dad's rights.

Well as someone that has no clue what that really means, is that going to come down to more talking with each lawyer and finding the right person that knows the right person, kind of thing?

Agreed.... in any established "business/profession" (and the legal system is a "business/profession") it's about WHO you know more than it is about WHAT you know.

... but then again since we're talking lawyers it's probably also more about WHAT you know about WHO. o_O:rolleyes:

Here's a few links after a quick Duck-Duck-Go search....

Here's a few links after a quick Duck-Duck-Go search....

Thank you for the links!!!

Well as someone that has no clue what that really means, is that going to come down to more talking with each lawyer and finding the right person that knows the right person, kind of thing?

Is it the District Attorney who needs to sign off? If so, you're lucky, there's been a recent election, and there's a list of endorsements. Scroll down to "Community Leaders" on this link and you may be able to find someone who has a good working relationship with Schmidt: Schmidt Endorsements

If possible, I'd look for someone who also was involved in any capacity with the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission, which Schmidt headed before being elected as DA, or who has a reputation as a reformer. You're going to spend some time with Mr. Google, but better to to find someone Schmidt might listen to rather than just spend money, as you apparently already have, on some dude who merely has a license to practice law.

Is it the District Attorney who needs to sign off? If so, you're lucky, there's been a recent election, and there's a list of endorsements. Scroll down to "Community Leaders" on this link and you may be able to find someone who has a good working relationship with Schmidt: Schmidt Endorsements

If possible, I'd look for someone who also was involved in any capacity with the Oregon Criminal Justice Commission, which Schmidt headed before being elected as DA, or who has a reputation as a reformer. You're going to spend some time with Mr. Google, but better to to find someone Schmidt might listen to rather than just spend money, as you apparently already have, on some dude who merely has a license to practice law.

So I need to talk to my dad some more, but it was extra weird because it's a felony at the federal level because of the tax crap, but if I remember what he was talking about, it was if he could get the local DA to sign off the federal one wouldn't fight it that ruling. I'm sorry, it's been a while since we chatted about it, because the year he needed to wait for him to try again. But I will talk to him more, and if that was the case, then yes, we will explore the Schmidt route more, thank you!!

Having worked and crossed paths with many attorneys in a prior life, there is validity to the interpersonal relationships between attorneys. The caveat to this is, always remember, they are in it for themselves.
Technically, the judge and attorneys from both sides are not supposed to discuss a case, but it does happen over golf (two specific examples I know), with decisions made, some of which are not "fair."

I am sure many posters offered better information than i can but what i would like to offer is once you have exhausted reaching out to the local DAs and big-wigs, try writing to the US district attorney, if he or she is pro 2A.
I do not know what your stance is on the NRA but they used to try to sell me on buying membership, touting they have the best access to lawyers.

i got relief from disability here through recordgone.com . what i liked most about it was the whole thing was accomplished by email. the process took almost a year and cost around a thousand dollars. i had to show up in front of a judge in oregon city for about 30 seconds. i've got a chl now.
if the offense is reduceable it's just a bunch of pencil pushing.

Last Edited:
When you do find one, No mater the legal niche, (Wills Estate criminal etc.)
hear this admonition; one irrefutable legal practice is: Whenever you talk, the meter is ticking.
Keep it simple and brief. Ask for fee schedule since for some, if you talk for ten minutes, you might as well talk for an hour and get your moneys worth because that may be what you'll be charged..

Always try to communicate by email to your attorney.
Send a copy to yourself and then forward it to the lawyer, and when they ask for a cash deposit retainer, give them the minimum, as they have the tendency to use it up in short order and you want to see where it went, before giving them more cash.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top