JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was originally planning on buying a complete Bushmaster M4 but then realized I could probably get a better rifle and maybe cheaper buying the lower either complete or stripped and then buying a very good upper and putting them together myself. Just happened upon this forum and read the 4 page thread about if a Bushmaster AR-15 is good or not and now I am questioning the quality of the bushie lower even though i've always heard good things.

The one store i've checked so far said a complete lower with adjustable stock (bushie) was $350. Is that good bad average? Any suggestions?

After poking around and reading it seems Bravo Company Lowers are looked at as being extremely well made and the price on their website is 360 ($10 more than I was quoted locally for a bushie lower) is it a much better lower? Anyone recommend a FFL to have it shipped to if thats the route to go?

Buy a lower from a local retailer. It is cheaper in the long run. If you buy online and have it shipped then you have to pay shipping, a transfer fee, and tax on all of it. I buy mine from Discount Gun Sales on Evergreen Way. This also gives you the ability to inspect the product before purchasing it. The last lower I bought I inspected 5 different ones before I found one I was happy with.

Just my opinion name brand companies do have a rep to keep BCM is very Reputable. Bushmaster has put out quite a bit of rifles being a company thats been around for quite some time every company at some point will put out some duds with the large numbers produced and you will usually hear about the bad before the good

but over all a lower receiver is a lower receiver provided its not some low budget receiver where they cut corners to save on cost. and keep in mind some times a brand name is just that a brand name and that name alone can tack on $ and be no different .

The "M4" lower your gonna find is a colt and thats only because it has a "M4" stamped on it other wise its just another colt lower.

I think its important to make sure it has mil spec or better anodising as that strenghtens the surface of the receiver which is important on the ware points like what holds the trigger pins and and take down pins. I think all receivers have this but i don't know for sure.

Rounded edges as mentioned would be important as well but i have not seen any that look much different from others as far as forged lowers .

I don't any one still makes them but i would not buy a cast receiver over a forged one

Bushmaster makes a good receiver safe to say as good as bcm but some of the other parts though ???

I have heard very little about lower receiver failure . But fit is another issue if you can see how well your upper fits the lower before you buy it so you don't have that sloppyness found in some upper to lowers

check out this chart as far as material
<broken link removed>

and as long as it was not made on the last hour of a friday before a 3 day weekend you should be good to go.:s0112:

I have to disagree with you. Milling ridges and sharp edges around holes and 90 degree corners can decrease the life and add points of failure on aluminum products.

show me, failures after 5,000, 20,000, 100,000 rounds? if so, so what, I can buy 3-4 recievers for the price of a "high end" reciever. odds are pretty fair this fellows ar won't get shot that much.

show me, failures after 5,000, 20,000, 100,000 rounds? if so, so what, I can buy 3-4 recievers for the price of a "high end" reciever. odds are pretty fair this fellows ar won't get shot that much.

I didn't say it does lead to failure. I said it can lead to failure. Sharp edges and milling marks are known to be a contributing factor to aluminum failure. I would like to see you buy 3-4 receivers for 150 plus tax.

None of the receivers at Discount Gun Sales are considered high end, they carry SLR15, S&W, DPMS, CMMG, Bushmaster, etc. They are the same you would buy online but the receiver cost is $10-20 more. This does not equate to a savings when buying off the internet because of the other added costs. The benefit, along with the savings, is that you get to inspect the product and can be sure you are not getting the one that was made at 3:30pm on a Friday before a long weekend.

I go to SAA and buy 3 stripped aeros for less than 250 or a complete M4 type lower for less than 200. Lower recievers are actually under very little stress. cnc machines do not care what day of the week it is. The machinery is all programmed to the same dimensions. All the manufacturers buy forgings from the same few suppliers the major difference is how well the machinery used to machine the forgings is maintained. Visual inspections only relate to the cosmetics, unless of course you can peer below the metals surface. If all the parts are held in the same relationship to each other there is no difference. I am sure the different manufacturers will go on at length how much better their recievers are compared to the competition. But, that is what is refered to as marketing, and has nothing to do with the product.

I will agree to disagree with you about the edges and milling. I know the lower is under very little stress but I guess I am just a little more picky when it comes to the quality of machining in the products I buy.

I agree the Aero receiver is a great deal for people close to SAA but for us up north the time and cost to travel to get the deal makes it about the same as buying locally.

I will agree to disagree with you about the edges and milling. I know the lower is under very little stress but I guess I am just a little more picky when it comes to the quality of machining in the products I buy.

I agree the Aero receiver is a great deal for people close to SAA but for us up north the time and cost to travel to get the deal makes it about the same as buying locally.

Go to Sam's. My good friend said they had about 10 of the AP-15 lower receivers last week. Similar price to SAA, but the parts kits were a tad more expensive.

Looks like Guardian Tactical in Bothell has Spike's lowers (but not in stock) so that may be a good option. DSG in Kirkland were the ones that quoted 350 on the bushmaster lower, i've bought a pistol from them before when they had an anniversary sale or something once. Is BCM ONLY available only shipped to a FFL or is there any local store that might have them? Good to have options after all.

As to the quality long life etc comments, while this will not be a duty rifle and hopefully my life will not depend on it, I do not plan on having multiple ARs so buying one that will last through many thousand rounds as my first and last AR is definitely important.

+1 for SAA. Their stuff is cheap! For under $300 you can get an upper and lower reciever with lpk, bcg, deflector and foward assist button. Aero precision is an aero space company. They meet FAA requirements. They know how to cut their metal... and their local. I also just got a notice from Rainier Arms saying that they have their 16'' match SS barrel with mid length gas system for $189! I didn't even want to tell anyone that! Thats still under $500! Plus $60 for generic tube and stock and $25 for a hand guard. Build it!

Ya know, Rifle Gear (riflegear.com) has their own flavor of uppers and lowers. Of course that's mail order....
Seems like more and more folks are carrying their own line of lowers and uppers. And from the specs, some better than others.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top