JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm probably too late for this turkey season that kicks off in a few days. I have a few family hand me down options I can look at in July.
My grandfather has a 12 gauge pump he offered me. Additionally his cousin's husband is an avid trap and skeet shooter and hog hunter, but he is going into hospice soon. My grandfather told me she doesn't know what to do with his guns yet, I'm trying to be tactful about asking about types/models. I really don't want to end up with all of the firearms.

With all that said I'm still on the lookout for one to purchase in case what is offered to me in July isn't what I need.
My research keeps showing me that shooting skeet requires a completely different shotgun than hunting turkey. I could use some suggestions.
For my requirements I'd prefer a semi-automatic but not required, doesn't need to come with a choke but needs to accept one. Pistol grip is desirable but not required.
I'm only looking for it to pull double duty as a hunting gun for turkey, maybe pheasant and skeet shooting. It does not need to pull quadruple duty as a deer/hog shotgun, does not need to shoot slugs, and doesn't need to be a home defense gun.

I don't need to buy anytime soon, but I am looking to buy before the end of the year. Ideas?

You have two very different types of shotguns there.
A turkey gun would typically be 30" FULL choke for a tight shot pattern.
Maybe even a 32"

A skeet gun is typically 26" SKEET choke for a quick spreading pattern.

Find out what your grandfather's pump gun is and if extra barrels are available for it.
You might be able to make a dual purpose gun out of it.

I know a lot of people like the Remington 870 and also the Mossberg 500/835/Maverick. I can use my Mossberg 835 for any type of bird hunting I may intend to do, but many of the places I hunt are very thick and the 28" barrel gets somewhat unwieldy. So while it is a fine shotgun, I find that it makes a better option for turkey or waterfowl hunting, where you are sitting in the blind mostly. Then I have the need for a second shotgun or a shorter barrel for the existing gun, like 22" or 24", just to be a bit easier while upland hunting in the heavy brush.

Here is a vid where they compare different models of the two platforms.

My grandfather has a bolt action H&R Model 121-20 gauge for me.

Additionally my great uncle (grandfather's brother in law) has terminal brain cancer and we got together. I bought a Mossberg .410 and a Miroku Browning Citori XT Trap Gold from him. 12 gauge with Turkish oak and an adjustable comb. The Browning is a SUPER nice gun. Since we are roughly the same stature I didn't have to make any adjustments to get a perfect sight picture every time I shouldered it.

Pacman - If you want a semi auto, your choice is clear: take it from me and Judy Warden Brown - buy a Remington 1100 (and they're like Smith & Wesson revolvers: the older the better) and never look back!

"Brown also won every Missouri State Skeet Championship in every gauge and discipline. That included 12-gauge, 20-gauge, 28-gauge and .410 gauge. Among her most memorable performances was hitting 249 out of 250 targets – a record that still stands. She also was perfect on 100 shots with the 20-gauge, 100 on the 28-gauge and 97 of 100 on the .410 in competition."

"Brown shot Remington 1100 semi-automatic shotguns in all four gauges and Winchester AA shells."

Buy a pre-1979 12 gauge 1100 with either a 26" fixed choke skeet barrel or 30" fixed full choke field barrel. Then additionally buy whichever barrel DIDN'T come with the shotgun. 12 gauge 1100 barrels in both configurations are plentiful and cheap on both ebay and gunbroker. Brother, with that 2 barrel setup, along with your Browning XT, you'll have every base covered!

Pacman - If you want a semi auto, your choice is clear: take it from me and Judy Warden Brown - buy a Remington 1100 (and they're like Smith & Wesson revolvers: the older the better) and never look back!

"Brown also won every Missouri State Skeet Championship in every gauge and discipline. That included 12-gauge, 20-gauge, 28-gauge and .410 gauge. Among her most memorable performances was hitting 249 out of 250 targets – a record that still stands. She also was perfect on 100 shots with the 20-gauge, 100 on the 28-gauge and 97 of 100 on the .410 in competition."

"Brown shot Remington 1100 semi-automatic shotguns in all four gauges and Winchester AA shells."

Buy a pre-1979 12 gauge 1100 with either a 26" fixed choke skeet barrel or 30" fixed full choke field barrel. Then additionally buy whichever barrel DIDN'T come with the shotgun. 12 gauge 1100 barrels in both configurations are plentiful and cheap on both ebay and gunbroker. Brother, with that 2 barrel setup, along with your Browning XT, you'll have every base covered!
The XT is 12 gauge, comes with single and double over/under barrels and every choke available for it. I feel like its too nice to take hunting though.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads