JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last time I hunted turkey with a shotgun was a long while ago....
I used the only shotgun I owned at that time.
My 1962 Wingmaster , 20 gauge , 28 inch barrel and modified choke.
Can't remember the load used , sorry , been a few days since then... :D

I would like to get one with this :
20 gauge Flintlock Fowler , by George Laloux ...Belgian gun maker.
His company made guns from 1834 - 1920.
38 inch barrel....no choke.
Andy

I mostly hunt coyotes . For called dogs over a decoy I want a longer barrel [ 26 to 28 "] this works well for shots from 10 to 35 yards. for tracking wounded or drives through the brush I have a 24 " barrel. These are mostly up close and personal. DR

The barrel on my deep fryer is about 16". I can put a 22-23 pound bird in there and it'll come out great!

Oh. You said shotgun...

The shortest barrel you can find with ability to use extra full choke tube. This isn't about swing stability… It's aimed shooting. Save the weight and the brush snags.

The shortest barrel you can find with ability to use extra full choke tube. This isn't about swing stability… It's aimed shooting. Save the weight and the brush snags.
I think you have to use steel shot in Oregon, I could be wrong. If you do, use a modified choke for steel.

Steel shot is not required for upland unless it is on a state release site where politicos make the rules. Waterfowl has been steel for 40yrs. Turkey is OK for lead. Extra full chokes are a lead only proposition unless you want to ruin your choke and maybe bulge the barrel.

Steel shot is stupid...but I digress... :D

With that said...we have areas here in Washington that are non-toxic shot only...even if you ain't hunting waterfowl.
I do wish non-toxic shot shells weren't at a second mortgage on your house price point.
Andy

Steel shot is stupid...but I digress... :D

With that said...we have areas here in Washington that are non-toxic shot only...even if you ain't hunting waterfowl.
I do wish non-toxic shot shells weren't at a second mortgage on your house price point.
Andy
If you reload bismuth (for Andy, stuff it down your muzzle) it costs about a buck for an ounce of shot. That's about what steel on the shelf is going for these days. Tungsten prices have gotten ridiculous, even for reloading.

If you reload bismuth (for Andy, stuff it down your muzzle) it costs about a buck for an ounce of shot. That's about what steel on the shelf is going for these days. Tungsten has gotten ridiculous.
I wonder if one could melt bismuth and make rifle round ball with it....and if it would weigh close to the same as a lead round ball of the same caliber...?

Just wondering , in case Washington goes to the requirement of lead free ammo for all hunting.

Bismuth shot is indeed cheaper than loaded shot shells...I have used Bismuth in my Flintlock Fowler...and gotten game with it.
Andy

I think I could melt it in my lead pot...and yeah knowing what the exact alloy is would be good.
Andy
So it looks like most the higher quality bismuth shot is being pressure-cast, which means they can control the environment and either surround it with an inert gas, or purge as much oxygen as possible.

So melting and casting in an open-air environment, you're going to pick up some oxygen in it. Probably not a big deal and it will just show up as slag on the exposed surfaces that you have to knock off, but could reduce your final weight a tad. I've never cast lead, so I'm not sure if this is something you usually deal with anyway?

So it looks like most the higher quality bismuth shot is being pressure-cast, which means they can control the environment and either surround it with an inert gas, or purge as much oxygen as possible.

So melting and casting in an open-air environment, you're going to pick up some oxygen in it. Probably not a big deal and it will just show up as slag on the exposed surfaces that you have to knock off, but could reduce your final weight a tad. I've never cast lead, so I'm not sure if this is something you usually deal with anyway?
I usually cast lead round ball outside on my patio...and yeah some slag shows up...easy to knock off.
Weight does not have to be clinically accurate down to the nearest grain...but close would nice.
A .530 lead round ball weighs in at about 223 grains or so.....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top