JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a good powder for reloading my 45 acp. Smokeless and clean. I was using red dot. 4.7gains for paper. 200gr & now 230 gain 9 out of 10 cast lead. Because of the wife I will be going to plated bullets. I would like to reload some +p. try for 230 gain at 1100 fps. for back up when hunting hogs. lite loads mostly for paper.

W231 I use mostly. I have been playing around with AA#5 lately and it is cleaner but not worth the extra expense to me. It is only slightly cleaner and I did not notice a difference in accuracy.

What kind of load? I shoot USPSA Single Stack division with a 45. I'm
currently using a 230 gr Bear Creek moly bullet and Solo 1000 powder.
Around 172 power factor---750 fps. Clays is also very popular.
I know a lot of people that use Titegroup--but it's pretty smoky if you
are using cast lead bullets.

231, tite group, Unique, WST, Bullseye are some of the most common. With 230 gr I'd lean toward 231 or Unique, even Red Dot as suggested earlier.

The smoke is not just from the powder, but also from the lube on the lead bullets. Different bullet makers just different lube. As you change bullet makers, but keep the same powder, you'll see the difference.

When I started doing silencers I tried a bunch of different powders for cleanness. Titegroup is one of the cleanest one of the worst is W231. Wish I would have known before I bought an 8lb jug of W231 about a year prior, at least i got a good deal on it.

I have not tried it in a .45 yet, but I working on a suppressed .45 project now. In 9mm I get 2000 rds/lb with the Titegroup since I am loading SS ammo.

I used some Clays and it burned pretty clean, but I don't think you would be able to push it to 1100fps. As for accuracy it was ok, but I think the cast lead bullets I was using weren't up to par. I want to try it with plated bullets one of these days. I am just too lazy to change out my 223 set up.

I'll go so far as to recommend 2 different powders. One for the lower velocity, lead "plinking" or practice loads. For that choose from WST, Bullseye, Red Dot, Titegroup, Clays, etc.

For the full power loads pushing 230 gr, choose from the group of Unique, Blue Dot, 231, Universal, etc.

It is difficult to get optimum performance from one powder over a range of velocities and bullet weights.

Good luck.

VV N310, or N320 For target. Power Pistol for max velocity around 900 fps with 230gr jacketed, those +P loads can be hard on the gun a stiffer recoil spring will help.

For Uban77....I would not go with +P loads with a standard 45acp, as the barrels are just not made for it. If you decide to use a maximum powder charge for back up hunting here are the recommended charges from Lee. 225 Grain Laser-cast FP-BB using 11.1 grains of Accura #7, you'll get 985 fps. 200 Grain Lead-SWC using 11.5 grains of Accura #7 you'll get 1000 fps. 230 Grain Lead Round Nose or a flat nose, using 11.0 grains of Accura 7 you'll get 979 fps. If you get a 7" barrel for your 45acp you'll get a little more fps. You should never go over these maximum charges. I know you love your 45acp and it's a good back up for certain game, but for hogs I would recommend you go to a 44 Magnum. I have a Super Red Hawk in a 9 1/2 " barrel, 240 Gr. Lead SWC, with 19.6 H2000 powder which gives me 1400 fps, For hunting or back up I take black bear, mountain lion, elk. Using a shoulder holster it's easy to carry and quick to get to. Hope this does not confuse you, but at least you have something to study. Lee Reloading Book is not expensive and it's the most up to date on powder charges. Safty first!!!!
Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads