JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have this S&W Walther PPK I got as a gift for Christmas, and while I'm very excited to affordably own my "Bond" gun, it did come from the PO with some pitting purportedly from his mother who never used it just letting it sit around. Internally there was NO lubrication in this gun when I stripped it to soak in Kroil.

After getting some excellent advice and help from forum member @jbett98 on how to clean what I could at home, I've realized that the damage is too extensive for my knowledge and skill level, and I'd like to get opinions and advice on whether or not y'all more experienced gun owners think its worth having blasted and reblued, as well as where in the Portland/Vancouver Metro area would be a good place to do so.

At this point I'm not overly concerned with looks as this will be a carry piece until/unless I find something that suits me better, but since there is extant rust damage and it is a blued weapon, I'd like to halt the rust/pitting process.

Photos attached and thanks! 20170118_153003.jpg 20170118_153028.jpg 20170118_153035.jpg 20170118_152943.jpg

You've certainly got some pitting there.

A pro re blue would be very nice, admittedly that is going to take some prep work before it's blue, needs blasting and smoothing otherwise the new blue will look like it's painted over rust.

@Velzey can absolutely do a good job on this for you, should you want to put that quality into it, if you don't care so much about it, you might just want to make sure you arrest the corrosion and keep it oiled.

You've certainly got some pitting there.

A pro re blue would be very nice, admittedly that is going to take some prep work before it's blue, needs blasting and smoothing otherwise the new blue will look like it's painted over rust.

@Velzey can absolutely do a good job on this for you, should you want to put that quality into it, if you don't care so much about it, you might just want to make sure you arrest the corrosion and keep it oiled.

In an ideal world I'd have a pretty gun, but my biggest concern is arresting the iron oxidization process. Then it's whether or not I can afford to have a pretty gun :rolleyes:...

I had wondered what bluing over pitting would look like and couldn't somehow find any examples through GIS, so thankyou for that.

second @Velzey or in vancouver @Northwest Firearms

Both are supporting vendors and will treat you right.
I have corresponded with Northwest Firearms and had planned on taking a trip over there once the thaw started to have them take a look at my poor gun, but I figured I also have this awesome resource at hand in the guise of this forum, so I may as well pick y'all's brains. Thanks!

If I remember correctly, the slides on the blue walthers had the lettering show as almost a second tone, like it was engraved after the initial polish and blue.

A polish and blue will look nice, but you will lose the current look of the lettering. I'm not sure how it could me masked off during the process.

Of course it's possible I've misremembered. It's been a few years since I held a blued walther.

I went out and visited the guys at Northwest and brought my PPK. They said it's surprisingly not that bad, but not worth rebluing for the cost vs. damage. They recommended I keep it clean and oiled, maybe cold blue kit some of the bare metal, and come in for a bead blast and cerakote when I start CCing since it's my intended carry piece. Lots of respect for their honesty over turning a buck on me, I will definitely be going back for any work I need done.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top