JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well i called to talk to the guy who's land i hunt on every year outside sherdain and he said hes decided to close down his land for a couple years to let the deer come back in. I've havent hunted on public land in a long time and i'm wondering if you guys might have some suggestions on where to go.

Thanks everyone

Good Luck! If you get any spots, I'd take them with a grain of salt. Most folks probably aren't going to give up their spots on public land for everyone on the internet to see. More than 1 public shooting area has been ruined/closed by well meaning folks posting for every hooligan to see.

There's a lot of free resources online these days for couch reconnaissance work if you're willing to scout by satellite and then go drive and see what they really look like.

Unless you count on that meat to put food in your belly, what you might consider this year is going out and doing some habitat improvement.

I also hunt private land, and usually I only hunt big game every other year, in the off years (the years acorns drop) I spend most of my time gathering the acorns which I plant in places around the property trying to maximize the food the game eats. I mend fences, improve water systems, and clean up messes others left behind.

One thing I have to do a lot of, that I really hate doing is running the brush hog chopping down star-thistle, since it's normally a cattle grazing area that I'm hunting this really helps the farmer as the cows don't like to eat this stuff, and chopping it down when I'm usually there lets the spring grasses come through and choke it out over the winter and into the spring.

Even though it's a family ranch, I like being able to give something back that ensures I'll be able to hunt the land for what will probably be the rest of my life.

Also, since I'm usually covering the area on foot, I have a much better idea where the game is, and my acorn-planting scheme is going really well year on year (this will be the 7th year up there) to the point that I'll have a better idea where the game is than my cousins (who usually heard cattle and hunt on the land).

Well i wasnt looking for GPS cords to someones spot haha just a bit of pointing out like "hey i heard there was a lot of deer up that way".

But i think i'm going to go along with AM's plan. I do a lot of clean up around his place so i am aloud to hunt every year but there is always more to be done so i think thats what i will spend my season doing :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top