JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was in the LA Times today

Who are we to criticize a politician's choice of words? It's a tough job. You have to be expressive to get your message out.

Is the best way to demonstrate the benefits of gun control by picking up a rifle and offering to shoot a reporter?

Leave that to the PR experts. What do we know?

But that apparently was Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's strategy.

At a news conference to discuss Chicago's gun ban and the Supreme Court's pending ruling on the issue, a reporter from the Chicago Reader asked him if the ban was effective.

"Since guns are readily available in Chicago even with a ban in place, do you really think it’s been effective?" asked Mick Dumke.

“Oh!” Daley said. “It’s been very effective!”

He grabbed a rifle, held it up, and looked right at me. He was chuckling but there was no smile.

“If I put this up your—ha!—your butt—ha ha!—you’ll find out how effective this is!”

“If I put a round up your—ha ha!”

Dumke said the room became "very, very quiet" before reporters realized he was joking.

Daley's press flak said the mayor didn't regret the remarks but said by offering to place the gun in the reporter's rear end "could admittedly be considered a less-than-ideal example."

I don't get it, in any respect. He would have made more sense to respond with, "I know your are, but what am I?"

What a moroon....

PS - Yes, moroon. Like the way bugs bunny said it ...

Joking - yeah - that was it - he was joking...

... no jack boot thug mentality there... no "control the masses" thoughts in his head - just run along now...

It's not about rationality. It's about politics. And Daley is smart. So he's pro-gun control (covering one base) and points a gun and threatens a reporter, demonstrating his personal bravado with a firearm (covering another base). So he positions himself as a pro-gun control macho gun guy. I'll bet he planned it all out.

It's not about rationality. It's about politics. And Daley is smart. So he's pro-gun control (covering one base) and points a gun and threatens a reporter, demonstrating his personal bravado with a firearm (covering another base). So he positions himself as a pro-gun control macho gun guy. I'll bet he planned it all out.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the problem goes much deeper than that. Whenever I listen to some of his rants on gun control I can't help but think of Timothy Sullivan, the New York Tamany Hall Politician from the early 1900's. He was notoriously paranoid and thought everyone was out to get him. He got the Sullivan Act passed which we know today as the Sullivan Law in New York that changed posession of an easily concealed weapon from a misdemeanor to a felony in New York city. I see a lot of him in Daley.

You will notice that he pulled this little stunt in a controlled (read disarmed) environment . I bet in certain circumstances with certain people in attendance that he would have found himself in a world of hurt . I personally have made it a policy that anyone pointing a firearm at me and threatening to pierce my hide with it is going to regret his decision . This pompous jackass tries to make himself big with tough talk and stupid bravado , but he is only making himself appear foolish . Just another half - assed politician from Chicago .

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews