Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Like we needed more proof that Daley is nuts!

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Cougfan2, May 21, 2010.

1. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

This was in the LA Times today

Who are we to criticize a politician's choice of words? It's a tough job. You have to be expressive to get your message out.

Is the best way to demonstrate the benefits of gun control by picking up a rifle and offering to shoot a reporter?

Leave that to the PR experts. What do we know?

But that apparently was Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's strategy.

At a news conference to discuss Chicago's gun ban and the Supreme Court's pending ruling on the issue, a reporter from the Chicago Reader asked him if the ban was effective.

"Since guns are readily available in Chicago even with a ban in place, do you really think it’s been effective?" asked Mick Dumke.

“Oh!” Daley said. “It’s been very effective!”

He grabbed a rifle, held it up, and looked right at me. He was chuckling but there was no smile.

“If I put this up your—ha!—your butt—ha ha!—you’ll find out how effective this is!”

“If I put a round up your—ha ha!”

Dumke said the room became "very, very quiet" before reporters realized he was joking.

Daley's press flak said the mayor didn't regret the remarks but said by offering to place the gun in the reporter's rear end "could admittedly be considered a less-than-ideal example."

2. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I don't get it, in any respect. He would have made more sense to respond with, "I know your are, but what am I?"

What a moroon....

PS - Yes, moroon. Like the way bugs bunny said it ...

3. chris61182

chris61182 A little west of Portland Active Member

How on earth does offering to shoot someone demonstrate that a gun ban works?

4. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I am SO going to shoot you! Does that answer your question?:laugh:

5. chris61182

;) That's what I was thinking, but I was worried that maybe I missed some important detail :paranoid:.

6. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Joking - yeah - that was it - he was joking...

... no jack boot thug mentality there... no "control the masses" thoughts in his head - just run along now...

7. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

I would laugh if the reporter reported Daley's comment as "gun control law is so ineffective that even idiotic megalomaniacs can possess firearms and threaten innocent people with impunity."

8. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

It's not about rationality. It's about politics. And Daley is smart. So he's pro-gun control (covering one base) and points a gun and threatens a reporter, demonstrating his personal bravado with a firearm (covering another base). So he positions himself as a pro-gun control macho gun guy. I'll bet he planned it all out.

9. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think the problem goes much deeper than that. Whenever I listen to some of his rants on gun control I can't help but think of Timothy Sullivan, the New York Tamany Hall Politician from the early 1900's. He was notoriously paranoid and thought everyone was out to get him. He got the Sullivan Act passed which we know today as the Sullivan Law in New York that changed posession of an easily concealed weapon from a misdemeanor to a felony in New York city. I see a lot of him in Daley.

10. DERGLOCKINMEISTER

DERGLOCKINMEISTER SPRINGFIELD OREGON Member

You will notice that he pulled this little stunt in a controlled (read disarmed) environment . I bet in certain circumstances with certain people in attendance that he would have found himself in a world of hurt . I personally have made it a policy that anyone pointing a firearm at me and threatening to pierce my hide with it is going to regret his decision . This pompous jackass tries to make himself big with tough talk and stupid bravado , but he is only making himself appear foolish . Just another half - assed politician from Chicago .

11. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

I'm trying to wrap my head around this fact..
    Um.. I can't. I thought I had skipped somewhere in the story and read at the wrong place, but it just doesnt make sense.

12. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

All he proved was that there should be an IQ requirement to hold a gun, and that there isn't one to be a mayor.

13. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Isn't what he said a threat? Menacing? Shouldn't he lose his Illinois FOID?

14. chris61182

Proof you can't keep guns out of the hands of criminals :D