JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always find it funny when someone thinks they are going to be real smart and they post something like this not realizing their own ignorance...

Ha, No offense there....we're acquainted!

Gosh this thread got legs. Has anybody gone for the potato deal?

Where I grew up in Utah there were still potato cellars in some peoples back yards. Dad built a two story 10' X 14' storage shed in the back yard. Bottom for his tools/tiller etc, The top was my "Hut", electricity, heat, balcony, four windows and a trap door to the roof. When he poured the foundation he sunk a 55 gallon steel drum with top and bottom cut out. It sufficed as a potato cellar and would keep a couple hundred pounds in good shape without freezing through the winter.

It's not JUST IdeeHO that grows good potatoes! Oregon and Utah do too. I take my potatoes seriously! Not much rice in MY diet!

We eat so few potatoes in our house that a 50lb box would quickly go to waste. I buy them 2 at a time and even then we sometimes don't get them eaten before they go bad. So no, I passed on this deal. Good deal for those that are big potato eaters though.

Hey look! I spelled potato correctly, and I'm not even vice president! :rolleyes:

GAWD, I've turned into my parents!

Don't we all?? Sitting down to dinner with my father and step-mother last week, I see my wife and step-mother looking over at my dad and I talking to each other - both of us with the exact same sarcastic, smart-a$$ sense of humor. I guess the potato doesn't fall far from the tree...:p

Last Edited:
Where I grew up in Utah there were still potato cellars in some peoples back yards. Dad built a two story 10' X 14' storage shed in the back yard. Bottom for his tools/tiller etc, The top was my "Hut", electricity, heat, balcony, four windows and a trap door to the roof. When he poured the foundation he sunk a 55 gallon steel drum with top and bottom cut out. It sufficed as a potato cellar and would keep a couple hundred pounds in good shape without freezing through the winter.
I haven't stored potatoes like that, wouldn't they need some air circulation to keep from rotting? I imagine in a low RH enviro they might loose their shape/liquid tho.

I haven't stored potatoes like that, wouldn't they need some air circulation to keep from rotting? I imagine in a low RH enviro they might loose their shape/liquid tho.

That was Utah, Salt Lake Valley. Cold, humidity in the 6%-10% range during the winter. And basically underground. Here is't tough with our humidity. I keep the spuds in cardboard boxes on the garage floor covered with burlap to keep the light out. They start to sprout pretty good by mid March. Believe it or not, even though they're sprouting 3"-4" sprouts and somewhat soft and wrinkled, they STILL taste better to us than the treated store bought. When I was growing my own I only had to eat store bought mid March to late June/early July.

That was Utah, Salt Lake Valley. Cold, humidity in the 6%-10% range during the winter. And basically underground. Here is't tough with our humidity. I keep the spuds in cardboard boxes on the garage floor covered with burlap to keep the light out. They start to sprout pretty good by mid March. Believe it or not, even though they're sprouting 3"-4" sprouts and somewhat soft and wrinkled, they STILL taste better to us than the treated store bought. When I was growing my own I only had to eat store bought mid March to late June/early July.
Good to know, thanks.
Last year we stored about 50 onions in a hanging fishnet bag in the cellar area with some circulated air. It's dark and stays around 60f all year and they kept well preserved. I think I'll try that with some potatoes.

You being an Oregonian, and I'm guessing living on the wet side, The Salt Lake Valley/Utah in general, is like another planet! When we visit in January it only takes about two days for my soft pliable, moist skin to start drying out and making me miserable! When I get up in the morning while we're there I need to get to the sink and and put a hot wet steamy washrag ovey my nose and mouth to moisten-up! I don't know how those people stand it, guess they're used to it. I've been in the Willamette Valley since '83. As far as I'm concerned I AM an Oregonian! I'll take potatoes going bad before their time rather than that horrible cold dry polluted air in the Salt Lake Valley. 'Course it is true that dry-cold doesn't seem as cold as wet-cold.

You being an Oregonian, and I'm guessing living on the wet side, The Salt Lake Valley/Utah in general, is like another planet! When we visit in January it only takes about two days for my soft pliable, moist skin to start drying out and making me miserable! When I get up in the morning while we're there I need to get to the sink and and put a hot wet steamy washrag ovey my nose and mouth to moisten-up! I don't know how those people stand it, guess they're used to it. I've been in the Willamette Valley since '83. As far as I'm concerned I AM an Oregonian! I'll take potatoes going bad before their time rather than that horrible cold dry polluted air in the Salt Lake Valley. 'Course it is true that dry-cold doesn't seem as cold as wet-cold.
I know what you mean. I get destroyed going to Bend, Prineville or Umatucky if I'm there more than a couple days :D

Good to know, thanks.
Last year we stored about 50 onions in a hanging fishnet bag in the cellar area with some circulated air. It's dark and stays around 60f all year and they kept well preserved. I think I'll try that with some potatoes.

Onions...Didn't make a lot of sense because onions are cheap but I grew 'em because they're cool I guess. Walla Walla's don't keep well so I'd grow a sweet Spanish onion and keep them in onion sacks in the garage too.

P1020844.JPG

And the potatoes in June.

P1020843.JPG

when you say "treated", what do you mean?
Are they hit with radiation to kill pathogens or what?

Treated to not sprout. I have no idea with what though. I just know that store bought potatoes have a smell, and a subtle taste that I figure come from the treatment. They may also, for all I know, keep them in a controlled atmosphere with some kind of gas, like apples?

At the very least it's worth it to go to The Barn and get a box of their "Dirty" potatoes. Dirty because they don't do nuthin' but dig 'em and box 'em! Heck, if you can't eat them all give them to family or something. And, the barn is a trip anyway....You ought to be there when the Germans are buying HUGE heads of cabbage for sauerkraut.

Thanks Mike! As of today they still have them at that price for reds or russet. Boy are my friends going to give me bubblegum when I tell them that the last thing I got from here was two 50lb boxes of taters! Already gave some out to the neighbors.
Again, Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Mike! As of today they still have them at that price for reds or russet. Boy are my friends going to give me bubblegum when I tell them that the last thing I got from here was two 50lb boxes of taters! Already gave some out to the neighbors.
Again, Thanks for the tip!

Grand! Another person that appreciates a good potato! Potato salad never tasted so good.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top