JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to get a new rifle. I've hurt my back recently and I'm finding that I can't carry most of my firearms or gear into the field. I'm also on a stricter budget. I'm getting rid of several rifles and shotguns for a consolidated collection thats lighter and multipurpose. I've found the BAR MK 3 DBM from Browning meets my criteria but I'm looking for possible alternatives. Does anybody have any ideas?

My priorities for a new rifle are:

1.) Lightweight. Weight thats sub 7 pounds.
2.) Reliable. It needs to go bang when needed.
3.) Hunting Caliber. Primary use is deer hunting (elk if my back is ever up to it).
4.) Semi-Auto. Capable or supporting 4-5 round or 10 round removable magazines is preferred.
5.) Accuracy. It needs to be able to put a well placed shot on a deer out to 250 yards. Unless required, I absolutely do NOT want to be following blood trails in the woods.
6.) Cost. Spending around $1500 is acceptable, but less is definitely better.
7.) Takedown. Its not a requirement, but would be a definite plus even if more expensive or slightly heavier.

The Benelli R1 is right around 7 pounds. Its not the most classically designed rifle, but it meets your criteria.

Light and semiauto are pretty much mutually exclusive. If you want light, there are a bunch of factory bolt rifles under 6 lbs, with some right at 5 lbs for well under $1500. I had a Kimber Montana in 308 that was under 6 3/4 pounds with scope, sling, and boolits.

The R1 looks like a good choice. The price is MUCH better. Hopefully I can find one like it. I've tried one of those Kimber Montana's in 308. I carried the Montana with a minimal load and had very few problems. The trigger was amazing. It's what started my current search for a new lightweight rifle.

Wanting a semi-auto is me mainly me attempting to keep some semi-auto capability and not buying multiple rifles. Even my AR's are heavy (mine are filled with heavy tacticool junk).

The R1 looks like a good choice. The price is MUCH better. Hopefully I can find one like it. I've tried one of those Kimber Montana's in 308. I carried the Montana with a minimal load and had very few problems. The trigger was amazing. It's what started my current search for a new lightweight rifle.

Wanting a semi-auto is me mainly me attempting to keep some semi-auto capability and not buying multiple rifles. Even my AR's are heavy (mine are filled with heavy tacticool junk).

I hear you. I guess it depends on how serious of a hunter you are. If you are like most of us, just about any rifle will work. I know some backpack hunters that are flat out anal about lightweight gear and a semi-auto just wouldn't get there.

One option could be to do a pencil barrel AR build with a minimalist approach. Maybe 6.8 spc or 6x45.

I'm looking to get a new rifle. I've hurt my back recently and I'm finding that I can't carry most of my firearms or gear into the field. I'm also on a stricter budget. I'm getting rid of several rifles and shotguns for a consolidated collection thats lighter and multipurpose. I've found the BAR MK 3 DBM from Browning meets my criteria but I'm looking for possible alternatives. Does anybody have any ideas?

My priorities for a new rifle are:

1.) Lightweight. Weight thats sub 7 pounds.
2.) Reliable. It needs to go bang when needed.
3.) Hunting Caliber. Primary use is deer hunting (elk if my back is ever up to it).
4.) Semi-Auto. Capable or supporting 4-5 round or 10 round removable magazines is preferred.
5.) Accuracy. It needs to be able to put a well placed shot on a deer out to 250 yards. Unless required, I absolutely do NOT want to be following blood trails in the woods.
6.) Cost. Spending around $1500 is acceptable, but less is definitely better.
7.) Takedown. Its not a requirement, but would be a definite plus even if more expensive or slightly heavier.
Sounds like Browning did their homework and hit a homerun.
The only other thing I would like to see from that rifle is a .338Federal chambering for elk and other critters tougher than a mulie-buck.
And on my budget, a little lower price. But alas, then I'd end up with 2 of them. :D

Hang a compact scope of about 2-7x33 on that thing and go kill stuff!

7lbs is tough, but as you linked doable.

Just traded off a DPMS lite hunter .308 (AR10 platform), spec had it at 8lbs. Thought it was 7.5, but kinda moot as it's traded. Very low weight though.

Optic, sling, bipod would bring the weight up a bit. But still easily under 10 lbs without much thought.

Nice feature was standard LR/SR magazines. I "think" you can put a block in a 10 rounder to make it 5 for hunting. Then allways have the option for 20's or 25's for whatever reason.

You could build a similar weight one (or lighter) up for your price range, if you have the time.

If I can spec out an AR chambered in .308 or 6.8 spc that's light enough, I'll give it a try. I should have the time available this weekend. The more options the better. Thanks for the suggestions.

If I can spec out an AR chambered in .308 or 6.8 spc that's light enough, I'll give it a try. I should have the time available this weekend. The more options the better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Swing by Ticklickers on Commercial, if you have a chance. They had a bunch of AR10's on sale the other day when I picked up a PS90 for us.

Might have some ideas on an off the shelf AR, or on how to spec one of there's out to lighten it up for your needs.

Great customer service!

There is no way that you can find a 308 AR that weighs under 7 lbs. You might find one that is a little under 8 lbs, but certainly not under 7 lbs.

Browning just two months ago announced a new version of their BAR Mark 3 lightweight sporter in 308 Win that can accept detachable 5 or 10 shot magazines. It weighs 6 lb 10 oz, and would meet your criteria of supporting a 10 shot magazine.

BAR MK 3 DBM (Detachable Box Magazine)

Since it is so new, I don't know if any dealers have it in stock yet. But it should definitely cost less than your stated goal of spending $1,500

Last Edited:
I used to love my H&K SL-7. Wish I still had it. Takes box mags too.
net grab pic

1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews