JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Forgive me if this topic has been discussed to death already. Couldn't find much via search.
Brought home my first long gun last week. I know I shouldn't store it in a soft case, but what about investing in a Pelican for long-term storage? We don't have kids and I'm not overly concerned with safety in the house, but I don't want it just sitting out exposed. I also don't feel like investing in a $500 gun safe. Would it be ok in a just gun sock? Or in a Pelican case?
Thanks.

Don't store it in a closed soft case, they're intended for transporting guns to and fro. Guns tend to get rust on them within those things long-term, so IF you're determined NOT to buy some sort of secure storage container then yes, something like a Pelican case would work for storage.

FYI- You don't need to invest $500 for a "safe", even a >$200 locking metal security cabinet screwed down to the floor will be better than nothing if you're ever robbed while nobody is home...happened to me, and my guns didn't get stolen! You can find decent deals for new ones (i.e. Bi-Mart, Costco), and even better deals for used ones in various classified ads.

The way the world is moving, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE you to invest in a more secure storage method than just a loose gun-case that can be carried off!

Buy the best safe you can afford, and YES heavy is hard to yard off to the park down the street where thieves can take all the time they need to cut it open.

Another tip, when you decide on the size safe you need... double it (at least), because you WILL add more guns (and accessories) as time goes by. ;)

I bought a Liberty Fatboy-64 some time ago and thought that would be plenty... today I have two more safes on top of that... LOL!

Yeah, the cases are transport only, which i found out to the pain of rust on new firearms i stored under the bed, in cases, in our damp appt bedroom :(

Anyway, for storage, if there is little to no security concern, stand them upright in the closet with something to stand the barrel off the wall.

Gun cabinets are all the same, choose the one you like the size/colour of.

Once in the safe catagory, for the most part, they're all the same security until you're way north of $1000, so again, pick your size, style and fire-resistance time within that range.

Anything is better than nothing, and so long as you're not storing in the carry cases, you're good :)

Bi-Mart had a 10 gun cabinet on special a few weeks back for $89. Really a nice unit, I bought one for ammo storage.

It's not a safe, but your average break in thief will not be able to get in it.

Can be bolted down for extra security. You could even add on other things to make it even more secure if you have stuff in your shop already.

--Also check out "job boxes". Super handy! Again not safes, but even more secure than a cabinet, with more storage.

There's a thread around here with more info on them. Home depot has a pretty nice one at $249. add in locks for $20 & a truck rental at $19 & your under $300.

Moisture in a sealed case will ruin quickly.

Costco has a really decent safe for $499 right now. I believe it's a 24cu/ft model? Their 32cu/ft is $599.

As of 9-2-16

A stolen gun(s) is worth having a safe.

Even a cabinet is better than a sealed box. As a cheap alternative and transition between soft case and actual safe... it's advised. Down the road somebody will always buy the cabinet even if it's for ammo storage.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top