JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a new Liberty safe and I noticed when I shut the door, I can see the LED lights shine through the sides of the door until they shut off. Has anyone else experienced this? I assumed there would be a tighter seal and wonder how that effects the heat protection.

Generally, they install a strip of material around the door frame that swells up and seals the insides when it reaches a certain temperature.

Your post made me curious. So, I turned the light on in my Fort Knox Safe and turned off all the lights in the room. I couldn't see any light shining through. There is a fairly thick rubber strip that goes around the inside of where the door closes.

Amazon sells a self adhesive silicon strip for under $20.00.
It's used on commercial fire doors. I used some on a custom made safe and it also helps seals out moisture.

Pemko Siliconseal S88BL17 Adhesive Backed Fire Smoke Gasket (Black).

1673763215441.png

Last Edited:
I dont think I would trust having lights on inside a locked safe.

I also wouldnt mess with the sealing strip on the door if its a fireproof safe, those are designed to swell at a certain temperature and seal the insides from the flames.

I also wouldnt mess with the sealing strip on the door if its a fireproof safe, those are designed to swell at a certain temperature and seal the insides from the flames.
The lights automatically turn off after a few minutes.

Many of them have LED that are motion activated. Mine do. They come on when you open the door, after you close it they shut off after a few of no motion detection. One of mine came with them, the other I used magnetic stick on. Up here in the green WET PNW moisture is what worries me. The descant I use in mine sucks a good amount of it out of the safes.

If you are sealing a safe up airtight, which I don't recommend, you better keep and maintain desiccant in it. This is too much work and worry for me. I live on an island a stone's throw from the salt water in the wet PNW. My safes do not seal tight and a golden rod has kept my guns perfect for the last 35 years.

I left a 2" gap at the bottom and the top to let some air movement through the safe.
I applied the silicon tape to a large custom made safe that came with a Golden Rod already installed and it stays well within normal conditions even while located in an unheated shop. I do keep a rechargeable desiccant made by Eva-Dry inside on a middle shelf. I have a spare that I swap out once a month.
I do have a temp/moisture sensor in the safe to monitor the moisture and temperature.

I have a pistol safe that started life as a media safe. it has a 90 min rating for keeping the old 5" floppy disks safe. it is the only safe I have that is air sealed. When you close the door, it uses a cam to force the door closed and then you hear the air bleeding off for a few seconds. All the other doors close with a clank!
The Media safe protects the interior by blocking any smoke or fumes from entering. those made as gun safes have a heat source in them to keep moisture from condensing in them. But then need a small amount of air circulation to keep them dry inside. I would not add gaskets to doors that were not made for them. the work around is the sealing tape that swell in high heat. DR

I think the light you see is those evil black guns in there are burning the midnight oil, writing a manifesto and probably planning an assault, cause that is what they do you know.

$20.00 on Amazon and you will know exactly what's going on inside your safe.

Hygrometer Humidity Gauge Meter - Wireless Indoor Outdoor Thermometer with 1 Remote Sensor - Room Thermometer for Home, Temperature and Humidity Monitor for Greenhouse Nursery Garden, 200ft/60m Range.

1673907613302.png

Just bear in mind that whatever seals moisture out also seals moisture in. Soft cases, wood stocks and any documents (piles of cash) hold moisture. With wood stocks you want a certain, low level of moisture to keep the stock from checking (cracking).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top