JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New From Liberty Suppressors: Mystic-X – One Can to Rule Them All?
By Nick Leghorn on September 15, 2014
mystic-x.jpg
The worst part about buying a silencer is knowing that its usefulness is limited. For example, I can't shoot 9mm or 22LR ammunition through my 762SDN6. I can't shoot 5.56 through my Ti-Rant 9mm can. And I can't shoot anything but .22 through my Prodigy. Liberty Suppressors is seeking to change all that by producing a do-it-all silencer, their new Mystic-X can. It's derrived from their already popular Mystic design that can suppress anything from 9mm to full auto 300 BLK to even 5.56 NATO ammo (through a 16″ barrel, that is). The kicker: it only costs about $800. If it works . .

I will say Liberty makes one hell of a product and there customer service is spot on. David is one hek of a guy and would love to hear if anyone does have any info. I currently have a liberty product but it is a one cal only can.

Spare baffles are a no-go, unless you want to spend an extra $200 or an SOT. Per the ATF's NFA FAQ:

Q: The types of firearms that must be registered in the National Firearm Registration and Transfer Record are defined in the NFA and 27 CFR, Part 479. What are some examples?
Some examples of the types of firearms that must be registered are:

• Machine guns;
  • The frames or receivers of machine guns;
  • Any combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting weapons into machine guns;
  • Any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for converting a weapon into a machine gun;
  • Any combination of parts from which a machine gun can be assembled if the parts are in the possession or under the control of a person;
  • Silencers and any part designed and intended for fabricating a silencer,

Q: May a Federal Firearms Licensee repair a silencer by replacing worn or damaged components?
A person who is licensed under the Gun Control Act (GCA) to manufacture firearms and who has paid the special (occupational) tax to manufacture National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms may replace a component part or parts of a silencer. Repairs may not be done if they result in removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). If a silencer part bearing the serial number, other than the outer tube, must be replaced, the new part must be marked with the same serial number as the replacement part.

The term "repair" does not include replacement of the outer tube of the silencer. The outer tube is the largest single part of the silencer, the main structural component of the silencer, and is the part to which all other component parts are attached. The replacement of the outer tube is so significant an event that it amounts to the "making" of a new silencer. As such, the new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.

In the event that identical replacement parts for a silencer are not available, new and different component parts may be used as long as the silencer retains the same dimensions and caliber. In addition, the repair may result in a minimal reduction in the length of the outer tube due to rethreading, but repair may not increase the length of the outer tube. Increasing the length of the outer tube significantly affects the performance of the silencer and results in the "making" of a new silencer. As stated above, a new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA. Reducing the length of the tube by a minimal amount in order to repair a silencer is often necessary to replace damaged end caps, as the tube must be rethreaded. Such minimal reduction of the length of the tube uses all of the original parts, does not significantly affect performance of the silencer, and may be done as part of a repair process without making a new silencer.

Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are "silencers" as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.

well, hell....when I get around to buying my next can I'll probably just grab that. Wonder how much the baffles and end caps will be to swap calibers...

There are no extra baffles this is a do all can. Only comes with the one section in the picture. 2 shown for add purpose I think. Only thing that will be needed is the mount for whatever gun you are going to put it on.

Ya I have the mystic so if the mystic-x is half as good it is awesome!!! So far I can't really find out what the improvement is, the baffle stack looks the same, only thing I see different is a little cosmetic on the how it looks, not sure if functionally it is any different. Might be more a marketing ploy then a new suppressor not sure.

huh, from my understanding you can shoot smaller calibers through larger holes, BUT the effectiveness on those smaller calibers is going to greatly drop off. Imagine that would slightly defeat the idea of it being a 'multi caliber' solution.

Now that I've re-read that press release, I would be less than impressed to be honest...but to each their own.

looks like it's just a 30 cal can. so it's not a really do-all can. a truly do-all can would be bored for .45, rated for supersonic 308 win, and have the swappable endcaps like the silencerco saker.

huh, from my understanding you can shoot smaller calibers through larger holes, BUT the effectiveness on those smaller calibers is going to greatly drop off.

We recently shot some 9mm through a Silencerco Osprey .45 unit; the difference was actually quite slight.

I have a colleague who shoots 5.56 through his Surefire .308 and he advises that the thing works well, though not as quiet as the purpose-built 5.56. But look at the price on the Surefire units!

Bottom line for civilian use the differences are minor.

We recently shot some 9mm through a Silencerco Osprey .45 unit; the difference was actually quite slight.

I have a colleague who shoots 5.56 through his Surefire .308 and he advises that the thing works well, though not as quiet as the purpose-built 5.56. But look at the price on the Surefire units!

Bottom line for civilian use the differences are minor.

Now every thing I had heard about mixing calibers on silencers had been third hand, with the person doing the shooting not being part of the actual conversation, and they all seemed very disappointed in the effect on smaller calibers.

That being said, since you were there I'll take you at your word, and assume that you also already understood that silencers don't make any gun as quiet as being hit with a pillow. (I know I know...subsonic 22lr...) Though I would still want to do the caliber swap thing before I went out an bought a 30 caliber can to fit all my rifles.

Man I have a mystic, and it is nuts quiet subsonic 9mm and 22lr, shooting other stuff ya it quiets it down, Hides your position from the enemy (of no use to me in a non military situation) but the sonic crack really makes shooting without hearing protection impossible. Only sonic round I can get away with suppressed without ears is 22lr. The movies have really ruined what people think they are getting.

Actually 22shorts through a bolt action and the mystic you barely hear the firing pin, it is kinda creepy quiet

Now every thing I had heard about mixing calibers on silencers had been third hand, with the person doing the shooting not being part of the actual conversation, and they all seemed very disappointed in the effect on smaller calibers.

That being said, since you were there I'll take you at your word, and assume that you also already understood that silencers don't make any gun as quiet as being hit with a pillow. (I know I know...subsonic 22lr...) Though I would still want to do the caliber swap thing before I went out an bought a 30 caliber can to fit all my rifles.

Right-o, It sounded like you qualified your opinion clearly, no worries.

As I stated we shot several. As an owner of a Spectre II, I have a pretty good idea of how quiet they are. ;)

Short barrel pistols are almost always subsonic regardless of the ammo, except for the hottest .22LR loads which sometimes crack downrange.

Cheers!

SpecII.jpg

Last Edited:
huh, from my understanding you can shoot smaller calibers through larger holes, BUT the effectiveness on those smaller calibers is going to greatly drop off. Imagine that would slightly defeat the idea of it being a 'multi caliber' solution.

Now that I've re-read that press release, I would be less than impressed to be honest...but to each their own.

not true. silencers are more about internal volume than tight bore. shooting 556 through my 30cal can is almost as quiet as shooting 556 through my 223 can. its louder, but only marginally.

Yup, my .30 cal HVT can measures 0.375 at the end cap, as well as through the baffles. Wouldn't necessarily want to fire 9MM through it, but suppression on everything from supersonic .22LR and 5.56 down to subsonic .22 sounds very similar to rounds suppressed through 5.56 and .22LR cans.

For those who already have one of the old Mystics or like me waiting on an old one. The new one shaves off 1.6oz from 12.1oz to 10.5oz and has the lock ring so it is flush with the suppressor body diameter.
Would have been nice to have the new one as the lock ring will require sights on my pistol to be that much higher. Oh well.

However, suppressors are amazing and I only want to shoot with one now!

Too bad they are so heavily regulated. I have waited three months and still waiting just to get my Mystic from a dealer in AL to my OR dealer. Then I have to apply for my stamp which will take forever. I was going to cheap out and buy something cheaper, but glad I spent the money on a Mystic, it is a lifetime purchase.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads