JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I and 18 others participated in the inaugural Lever Action Rifle Match at Four Corners Rod & Gun Club on Saturday, 18 February. Despite my humbling experience and shortfall in performance due to my failure to be attentive to detail in Stage 1 (inadvertently loading 44-40 cartridges in my .44Magnum Winchester 94AE) which caused repeated failures to chamber, and substandard marksmanship in Stage 2 I hope that FCGC will continue with this match. It was well designed, efficiently run, and the monitoring of safety was up to their usual standard of excellence. Match fee was $5 for members and $10 for guests.

Par time for each stage was 30 seconds for a 5 round string. Stage 1 was run 3 times for each shooter after loading only 5 rounds per run. Stage 2 was shortened to a single run due to the length of time taken to complete Stage 1 that included a delay to disperse a group of deer that came onto the range. Movement was an option but had to be accomplished with an empty chamber or with a spent round chambered. There were 2 participants who used optics everyone else was on iron sights and calibers ranged from .22L to .45-70. I was up first in Stage 1 but shot second in Stage 2 and in the intervening time, again due to failing to pay attention to detail (didn't bring gloves or hand warmers) the last 2 fingers of each hand were numb from the cold and wind by that time.

Stage 1 was shot on (5) 1/3 sized IPSC targets, 2 pairs and a single, angled or obscured from open view at distances of 15-20yards. The shooters with optics had one pair placed at 50rds. To shoot clean 3 hits on each target was required and misses incurred a 5sec penalty.

Stage 2 was adjusted from (2) 1/3 sized IPSC targets to a single one angled and obscured at 12yds and (3) sporting clays hung on a line at 10yds from the start position. Each of the clays required an obvious break to be scored and the IPSC required 2 hits. Each miss added 5secs to end time.

I was quite surprised that I wasn't last on the score sheet which FCGC has put online. I believe that FCGC will again be holding an Introduction to Action Pistol Shooting, which I have previously debriefed here, on Saturday 4 March at 0900 but check their web site for confirmation.

Last Edited:
I really wanted to go to this but illness in the family halted it. My young son even had a family friend who was willing to let him use an original 45-70 "pumpkin roller" in it. Sounds really fun and hope to be healthier next time it comes around. How many people showed up?

I really wanted to go to this but illness in the family halted it. My young son even had a family friend who was willing to let him use an original 45-70 "pumpkin roller" in it. Sounds really fun and hope to be healthier next time it comes around. How many people showed up?
19 participated.

I and 18 others participated in the inaugural Lever Action Rifle Match at Four Corners Rod & Gun Club on Saturday, 18 February. Despite my humbling experience and shortfall in performance due to my failure to be attentive to detail in Stage 1 (inadvertently loading 44-40 cartridges in my .44Magnum Winchester 94AE) which caused repeated failures to chamber, and substandard marksmanship in Stage 2 I hope that FCGC will continue with this match. It was well designed, efficiently run, and the monitoring of safety was up to their usual standard of excellence. Match fee was $5 for members and $10 for guests.

Par time for each stage was 30 seconds for a 5 round string. Stage 1 was run 3 times for each shooter after loading only 5 rounds per run. Stage 2 was shortened to a single run due to the length of time taken to complete Stage 1 that included a delay to disperse a group of deer that came onto the range. Movement was an option but had to be accomplished with an empty chamber or with a spent round chambered. There were 2 participants who used optics everyone else was on iron sights and calibers ranged from .22L to .45-70. I was up first in Stage 1 but shot second in Stage 2 and in the intervening time, again due to failing to pay attention to detail (didn't bring gloves or hand warmers) the last 2 fingers of each hand were numb from the cold and wind by that time.

Stage 1 was shot on (5) 1/3 sized IPSC targets, 2 pairs and a single, angled or obscured from open view at distances of 15-20yards. The shooters with optics had one pair placed at 50rds. To shoot clean 3 hits on each target was required and misses incurred a 5sec penalty.

Stage 2 was adjusted from (2) 1/3 sized IPSC targets to a single one angled and obscured at 12yds and (3) sporting clays hung on a line at 10yds from the start position. Each of the clays required an obvious break to be scored and the IPSC required 2 hits. Each miss added 5secs to end time.

I was quite surprised that I wasn't last on the score sheet which FCGC has put online. I believe that FCGC will again be holding an Introduction to Action Pistol Shooting, which I have previously debriefed here, on Saturday 4 March at 0900 but check their web site for confirmation.
That sounds like a blast!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top