JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sadly....besides the cost of a precision firearm in 22LR......I just can't see myself paying for the high cost for, "22 LR Target Ammo".:eek:

Aloha, Mark
that's fine if you're just plinking. generally when you have a nice target rifle rifle, you'll be shooting some form of Rimfire competition. In those instances you're better off with good quality match Grade ammo. Most of the guys that I shoot against are running eley and the likes for ammo. As we all know, it's best to find out what works the best in your rifle. However, it is nice when you can find some cheap ammo that shoots pretty consistently. I found that the American eagle shoots pretty good for cheaper ammo.

Here's the Harrington & Richardson M12 Government Contract Gun with the Leupold 4x-12x AO on Warne QD mounts.

PC290105.JPG

And here sporting the Redfield Olympics:

PC290106.JPG

Note the "log like" stock with little or no attention to decoration or refinement. Kinda like a rail gun that brings its own rail.

Last Edited:
Sadly....besides the cost of a precision firearm in 22LR......I just can't see myself paying for the high cost for, "22 LR Target Ammo".:eek:

Aloha, Mark

I keep a few boxes of the "Grey Poupon" level target stuff around to test ALL .22's. Since I don't compete any longer but rather hunt with these guns (yes, "the log" too), I generally feed everything good ol' clean and accurate fast-killing CCI Mini Mag HP's.

I ran across a beautiful Winchester model 75 target rifle last Sunday at the Jackson armory gushow. The guy wanyed $500 for it, but the price was negotiable. Im thinking i could have bought it for $450. I believe it was made in the 30's. Steel butt plate and nice target sights. Front globe too. I think the price was very reasonable. According to the seller, it is a tack driver. Im thinking about giving him a call and doing the transfer through an FFL. What say you guys. What is an original model 75 target rifle selling for these days? The bluing was pretty thin on the barrel, so i rate it at about 85% condition.

I ran across a beautiful Winchester model 75 target rifle last Sunday at the Jackson armory gushow. The guy wanyed $500 for it, but the price was negotiable. Im thinking i could have bought it for $450. I believe it was made in the 30's. Steel butt plate and nice target sights. Front globe too. I think the price was very reasonable. According to the seller, it is a tack driver. Im thinking about giving him a call and doing the transfer through an FFL. What say you guys. What is an original model 75 target rifle selling for these days? The bluing was pretty thin on the barrel, so i rate it at about 85% condition.
I was in the local gun store/pawn shop yesterday and looked at a nice 75 he had on the shelf. It was nice but far from pristine, price tag said $849, hope that helps.

I guess that we all have different ideas about what constitutes a target rifle. To me, a .22 cal target rifle is used for shooting ISSF matches at 25 and 50m. The British NSRA can often use the English distances of 20/25 and 50 yards. We don't do your NRA 25 and fifty foot ranges at all, and never did. It can also be used in the various classes of .22cal BR, and can therefore look like anything between a light sporter - any kind of B/A cz, for instance - to a full-blown marvel of technical spiffiness. Race-style .22 target rifles, mostly highly modified Ruger 10/22 by Volquartsen, or the UK builders of similar race guns, are used in the so-called 1500 Match which has, yup, you guessed it, a total of 1500 points to win.

Biathlon target rifles are 'owned' by the Fortner-action rifles of Anschutz - a kind of cross between a Luger toggle action rotated 90 degrees to the right, and a Browning T-bolt. A lot of people, me included, who could not afford the real Fortner action, or the Russian version when it was around, used these handy little guns for training, but NOT for competition, as they did not fit the rules.

I guess that we all have different ideas about what constitutes a target rifle. To me, a .22 cal target rifle is used for shooting ISSF matches at 25 and 50m. The British NSRA can often use the English distances of 20/25 and 50 yards. We don't do your NRA 25 and fifty foot ranges at all, and never did. It can also be used in the various classes of .22cal BR, and can therefore look like anything between a light sporter - any kind of B/A cz, for instance - to a full-blown marvel of technical spiffiness. Race-style .22 target rifles, mostly highly modified Ruger 10/22 by Volquartsen, or the UK builders of similar race guns, are used in the so-called 1500 Match which has, yup, you guessed it, a total of 1500 points to win.

Biathlon target rifles are 'owned' by the Fortner-action rifles of Anschutz - a kind of cross between a Luger toggle action rotated 90 degrees to the right, and a Browning T-bolt. A lot of people, me included, who could not afford the real Fortner action, or the Russian version when it was around, used these handy little guns for training, but NOT for competition, as they did not fit the rules.
Good info Tac. Thanks for sharing!! By the way, someone asked how far away my target was. I usually always shoot 50 yards with my rimfires, because that is what my club shoots our rimfire matches at, so I like to keep the sights calibrated for that range. I'd also like to post a pic of my new 22lr target rifle in this thread. I mentioned it in an earlier post, regarding Mark's Savage he posted. I got really lucky when I found this one on discount for $194.00 a month ago. I've since added a recoil pad, to lengthen the LOP. Here's the rifle after I bought it and from a recent outing with it. She seems to have some pretty good potential:
oH5qzOz.jpg
ev9NxKG.jpg
fQvVRMP.jpg
vrvjssl.jpg
MY7rX3v.jpg
10 shot groups...
I bought a brick of the S&K (Lapua made) standard match ammo yesterday. Should be fun testing that stuff in these rifles. I'm thinking both of them will really like it.

Last Edited:
Found a great "test comparing 22lr ammo" at accurate shooter.
Lots of the high dollar Lapua and Eley...but my choice as in 5000 round purchase yesterday $240 plus the shipping. CCI Standard was right in there for accuracy. They did 5 shots at 50,75, and 100yrds. Everyone always says find an ammo the gun likes.
Found mine. Vel. Was 1070 at the muzzle, target ammo.

I picked up a CZ 455 standard bolt action a year or so ago at Bimart for $299 to use in our club's informal .22 lr matches. It has decent iron sights, but even after cataract surgery, I don't have "iron sight eyes", and since we shoot at 100 yards, most of us use scopes. There are a few guys who take it a little too serious (Anschutz target rifles, Nightforce scopes, $20 or more per box target ammo), but most of us just have fun competing with ourselves. The CZ is capable of better accuracy than I am, and I just shoot CCI standard velocity ammo. (budget target ammo for $25 a brick). It is a lot of fun, especially in the wind!

I like the idea involved with the CZ 457 versions in how they now have an adjustable trigger and the receiver is actually drilled and tapped for an optics base. They also got rid of the "strap steel" trigger guard and now use a version like the one made by DIP. Just looks much better and the D&T of the receiver makes much more sense to me. Most likely my next .22 rimfire rifle purchase will be a CZ, but don't know which version as yet.

Why not for competition?
Hi Tac the rifle is a 1960s-70s target rifle ditto with the scope so that puts me in the target rifle class, with scope. Other shooters in the club are using modern $3000 rifles and scopes 40-50 power. I do use another Martini Mk II with open sights and that puts me in the class that other are using (any rifle no scope) and I can hold my own with that. I do have a modern rifle and scope a Diorio V2 Turbo with a Nightforce 12-42x50 and that makes me competitive in the target rifle class. All shooting is bench rest.

Diorio-V2.jpg

I picked up a CZ 455 standard bolt action a year or so ago at Bimart for $299 to use in our club's informal .22 lr matches. It has decent iron sights, but even after cataract surgery, I don't have "iron sight eyes", and since we shoot at 100 yards, most of us use scopes. There are a few guys who take it a little too serious (Anschutz target rifles, Nightforce scopes, $20 or more per box target ammo), but most of us just have fun competing with ourselves. The CZ is capable of better accuracy than I am, and I just shoot CCI standard velocity ammo. (budget target ammo for $25 a brick). It is a lot of fun, especially in the wind!

That's the way I like to do it also, try to improve without spending what it would cost to build a new garage. Some of my customers and our gun club members brag about their "tack-driver" .22 rifles, so I came up with a target we shoot at whenever a group can gather:
xWlzoYzl.jpg
I print these out on the same "tag" paper that NRA targets are done on, which I got from Amazon. It's a fun shoot and can be done at the yardage all are in favor of.