JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got three .22 rifles I use for basic - no frills - benchrest. That means no additions to the stock like a flat 'slider'.

Here's one of them -

Here are the two others -
1583957315985.png
1583957561064.png

Guess I'm just not as competitive as you guys, eh?

I've got three .22 rifles I use for basic - no frills - benchrest. That means no additions to the stock like a flat 'slider'.

Here's one of them -

Here are the two others -
View attachment 668499
View attachment 668503

Guess I'm just not as competitive as you guys, eh?
Very nice Tac how did the tuner work out for you? who did the wood work and is the barrel original> When I started shooting all the guys were shooting the USBR target and one of the members had shot 250 17x. A year after I joined they all moved to the ARA target, I have stayed with the USBR untill I beat the 250 17x, the best I have done so far is 248 7 x

The tuner works out fine, having taken all of an entire shooting day to get it right. The owner of the rifle did the woodwork in 1965 and all the barrels are original. The gun in the movie is 1958, the left-hander is 1957. The Anschutz is from 1963.

As an observer, I've gone to several bench rest shooting forays locally, both centerfire and rimfire, mainly to ogle equipment and shooting rigs that these folks use. Most of those that were competing had some pretty fancy and, from my perspective, expensive investments. Several thousand dollar rifles and "high-buck" glass, seem to me to make a day of what should be fun, quite serious.
From what I could gather, pretty much all of the competitors were doctors, lawyers and business managers with healthy salaries. Nobody was smiling. If the results on the target didn't meet expectations for a couple of shooters I observed, they'd simply change the barrel out for another one, of several, in their case.
I much prefer the extremely informal contests we have with .22 rimfire rifles shooting at eggs on golf tees placed at various and unknown yardages, or try to hit that Bayer aspirin, with one shot at 75 yards using your favorite 'squirrel rifle'. Leave the barrel "tuners" at home. :)

As an observer, I've gone to several bench rest shooting forays locally, both centerfire and rimfire, mainly to ogle equipment and shooting rigs that these folks use. Most of those that were competing had some pretty fancy and, from my perspective, expensive investments. Several thousand dollar rifles and "high-buck" glass, seem to me to make a day of what should be fun, quite serious.
From what I could gather, pretty much all of the competitors were doctors, lawyers and business managers with healthy salaries. Nobody was smiling. If the results on the target didn't meet expectations for a couple of shooters I observed, they'd simply change the barrel out for another one, of several, in their case.
I much prefer the extremely informal contests we have with .22 rimfire rifles shooting at eggs on golf tees placed at various and unknown yardages, or try to hit that Bayer aspirin, with one shot at 75 yards using your favorite 'squirrel rifle'. Leave the barrel "tuners" at home. :)

Oh boy. You sure as heck hit the humourless end of the sport there, for sure. You hit the fancy end of the sport at the very top end, and of course, having spent multi-thousands of $$$ on their equipment, they are going to be pretty serious about it. You can hardly expect to see people laughing and joshing about their cars at Pebble beach, right, where most of the entrants are people who make mere millionaires look like traffic-light beggars.

BUT - the WHOLE idea about .22BR is that ANYBODY can compete, at whatever level they choose to do so, at their budget level - THAT's why it's FUN!!!

If it isn't fun, then you may as well give it up right now.

None of MY .22 rifles even came near busting $100, although the necessary scopes are more, and CAN be a LOT more. Competing in the light sporter grade, even a fifty-year-old x10 Weaver - a hundred dollars or so? is all you need. If you can buy new, then the new Ruger .22 Precision rifle was just MADE for you! The Savage I don't know about, as so far it has not appeared here in yUK.

Last Edited:
I love my Winchester 52-C with its Lyman 20X super target scope. If I get tired of the weight I'll switch to a Winchester Model 75 or a Remington 513T. Can't beat the old timers.

My target .22 is just an old BSA martini-Henry, Lyman peep sight and 28.5" barrel. Its ugly, has been drilled for different scopes, but is a darn accurate old rifle.

Speaking of target 22 rifles. I would love to find for my other 1413 Anschutz, this part. I will be forever grateful for a lead on this part
P1000339 O (2).jpg thisscrew-1.jpg

Mr Tac. Is there anything like this in your neighborhood ?

Speaking of target 22 rifles. I would love to find for my other 1413 Anschutz, this part. I will be forever grateful for a lead on this part
View attachment 1024760View attachment 1024761

Mr Tac. Is there anything like this in your neighborhood ?
My neighbourhood?

Anschutz parts?

I'll let you make your own mind up about that.....

1630754895946.png

Sorry, not a hope. About ten years ago I bought the very last bolt sleeve - the part that fits around the rear of the bolt with a little red pointer on it - from the importers, he also threw in the only FP spring he had as well.

My 1409, from 1967, doesn't have the same level of spiffiness as yours'....

1630755494315.png

Last Edited:
These are the sort of "fun" shoots that I try to take part in. They're NOT bloodthirsty serious, and people do smile and talk to one another, but it's done more with the "common man" sort of firearms that us unwashed masses can afford:

MYLiNDd.jpg

Shooting what some claim as their "tack-driver .22" we have much more fun with that sort of thing:

VSJ2cDn.jpg