JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I finally found a rifle I've been looking for, for a long time now. An older Winchester model 52B. It was made in '49 and it is in pretty dang good condition. One of the reasons I wanted one of these is because I got tired of having my butt handed to me at my clubs rimfire shoot. Well, in the iron sight division anyway. I just couldn't compete with the equipment I had. It was fun and all, but not good enough. My scores were always ho hum when using my dad's Mossberg chuckster that I put target sights on. The chuckster is a dang good rifle, but it was meant to have a scope on it and to be used for hunting small vermin. Here's that rifle:
lDxS6zs.jpg
I actually love the little Mossberg, and it is a reminder of my dad, who I recently lost. It shot alright, but was lacking in consistency. It would probably shoot better with a better shooter behind it:
XJ35IVf.jpg
^^^^This is what it did at our last rimfire shoot. I can't blame the rifle there, as it wants to shoot, I just didn't put them in the right spot^^^^

Now, for my new target rifle that I am very excited to share with your guys, just don't tell any of my club members I have this one. They might try to weasle out of having a fall rimfire shoot...:rolleyes: . I took it out today after work, didn't have much time, but shot a few 10 shot groups. It was trying to rain on me, so I set up a pop up and shot weak handed (right handed), non dominant side. I shoot right handed with irons because my vision in my left eye sucks...:
9oTTjgI.jpg
I found a good redfield front globe sight on ebay with some inserts and settled on a good size for the target:
f6qAZQz.jpg

This is how she shoots, with the new front globe sight:
hucJNYq.jpg
9t36AYp.jpg

I think I'm ready to rock and roll at my clubs next rimfire shoot... What say you guys, do you have a rimfire target rifle you love or one you desire? Time to confess...:D

I have a left handed Lakefield heavy barrel with a front globe and williams rear peep....love it. Only issue is that whoever put on the globe did it slightly crooked, still works, but is just noticable :(
Also have two 69a Winchesters, one is a family hand me down, the other I found a year ago, has cut down stock which fits my son perfect for now. :)
Have a bunch more 22s, but those would be my "target" guns.

I would love to find an NRA Savage ( 1920s vintage ) or a reasonably priced Mod 52 Winnie....someday.

I have a left handed Lakefield heavy barrel with a front globe and williams rear peep....love it. Only issue is that whoever put on the globe did it slightly crooked, still works, but is just noticable :(
Also have two 69a Winchesters, one is a family hand me down, the other I found a year ago, has cut down stock which fits my son perfect for now. :)

I would love to find an NRA Savage ( 1920s vintage ) or a reasonably priced Mod 52 Winnie....someday.
Cabela's in Tualatin has a model 75 target for $599.00. It's not in primo condition, but it is pretty nice. I almost bought it, but don't know too much about them..

I would love a single shot .22 rifle with peep sights ...A Remington 510P , a Winchester 68... Or any Mossberg rifle so equipped .

My favorite target .22 that I owned in the past was a Remington 521.
Andy

I would love a single shot .22 rifle with peep sights ...A Remington 510P , a Winchester 68... Or any Mossberg rifle so equipped .

My favorite target .22 that I owned in the past was a Remington 521.
Andy
Even though I am a die hard winchester fan, I'd love to find a nice remington target rifle one of these days. I've been told many times, by other die hard Winchester guys that the Remington 37 and 40 are better shooters than the good ol model 52 (like the one I have)... If I ever run across the right one, I'm taking it home.. My buddy has a 513T (target) that shoots very well too. Back in the day, remington made some nice rifles...

I have shot both the Remington 37 and a 40 rifle as well as a few various Winchester 52 models....
I like the 37 and the 52's the best....with a slight lean in the Remington 37 direction.
That said...

Your 52 sure seems like a keeper and should do you well in the matches....:D
Andy

I have shot both the Remington 37 and a 40 rifle as well as a few various Winchester 52 models....
I like the 37 and the 52's the best....with a slight lean in the Remington 37 direction.
That said...

Your 52 sure seems like a keeper and should do you well in the matches....:D
Andy
Thanks buddy. I appreciate that. I have been the "high score overall" winner for combined scores of pistol and rifle matches in our bi-annual rimfire matches lately. However, my iron sight rifle was severely lacking in the score department. I'm thinking this rifle will change that. I'm lucky because I shoot with/against some good shooters that keep me on my toes. Here's how my scoped rifle did on our last rimfire shoot:
BDo7IcK.jpg

The x-ring on our new target is very small!!!! If I shoot 100 with even a few x's with my 52, I'll be pretty happy...

Shot Remington 513T (school district supplied) in high school, until I paid for an Anschutz 64. We had to compete against other districts whose kids were supplied with Winchesters by their parents.

We took 2nd Place NRA Regionals. I was the only man on the team without a 513T. Dem boys carried ME. Helluva gun.

In a leisurely search (5-10 years) for a fat-barreled competition gun, I indeed looked at many 513T's and Anschutz 64's.

The Kimber Government Contract guns caught my eye and I thought I had a couple on the string over a period of time, but did not buy.

I found in a small gunshop a Harrington Richardson M12 Government Contract gun. It is a smallbore monster. Fellow former smallbore competitors who have seen/shot it call the stock, "an oak log". In its defense it IS walnut but it IS pretty massive.

The bottom line is that I currently have it outfitted for instant change from the Redfield Olympics (front and rear) to a Leupold 4x-12x AO. Both systems flawlessly repeatable.

Oh. Uncle Sam seems to have specified in this Cold War contracted gun that it should have like threaded thingys on the end of the barrel that you cant see because of a flawlessly matched and blended cap.

Hmmmmm.....

Hey...I have the NRA Savage for sale in t he classified section!

I'm very fond of my highly modified Savage MKII FVT (came factory with Williams Target sights as shown here.

9zWCLdI.jpg

The stock started out as a Boyds Tacticool laminated wood. I added an accessory rail the adjustable Reach/Comb (I made both) And added some weight to the rifle.

Here it is with my Mueller 4-14x scope

Lek4Iaj.jpg

I'm very fond of my highly modified Savage MKII FVT (came factory with Williams Target sights as shown here.

View attachment 633452

The stock started out as a Boyds Tacticool laminated wood. I added an accessory rail the adjustable Reach/Comb (I made both) And added some weight to the rifle.

Here it is with my Mueller 4-14x scope

View attachment 633453
Out of curiosity, how does that rifle shoot? I just bought one yesterday for $194.00

It shoots better then I can. Off the bench it groups as well as I ever have. Still looking for the best ammo to go with it.
You may want to try some of that Norma match ammo. It's working pretty good in my Winchester Model 52. It's $5 a box at Sportsmans so it wouldn't hurt to try one box

Even though I am a die hard winchester fan, I'd love to find a nice remington target rifle one of these days. I've been told many times, by other die hard Winchester guys that the Remington 37 and 40 are better shooters than the good ol model 52 (like the one I have)... If I ever run across the right one, I'm taking it home.. My buddy has a 513T (target) that shoots very well too. Back in the day, remington made some nice rifles...
I competed with a Remington 513T against at least one Winchester 52D and did very well. For the money the 513T is an amazing rifle.

I've got four .22 rifles that could correctly be termed target rifles, since that's what I use them for. I have three others that are not strictly target rifles, but would serve if necessary.

However, since you've seen them all before, I'll refrain from posting them again and boring you all fartless.