JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, let's post some pictures of our old and new American made Ruger rifles. They can be the infamous model 77 or even the newer American. Don't be bashful. I'll start it out by posting some pictures and stories of some I've had. However, I'm down to one Ruger m77 MKII and one Ruger American (22WMR) right now. For the longest time, I was down to one rifle and that was my left hand blued mkII 300WM. Here is a picture of how it looked when I first bought it in the late 90's. I still have the scope, it's one of my favorites :D:

034-1.jpg
LEFTHANDRUGER77SERIAL789-94207.jpg

I later pulled the walnut stock off and sold it and bought a laminated stock for it, and I changed scopes a time or 2 on this rifle:

Then later on, I bought a 338wm that was like my elk hunting soul mate. I didn't think I'd ever get rid of this rifle:
008_zps92c1a845.jpg
009_zpsf8adba58.jpg
This rifle was such a sweet shooter too. After glass bedding, it always turned in sub moa 3 shot groups and was hell on elk. Those 250gr. pills, were bad medicine on the mighty wapiti....
Image023-1.jpg 002-25.jpg 005-14.jpg
Sorry, can't edit out these last pictures of my 300wm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Continued:

I ended up buying a stainless synthetic (boat paddle stocked) 300wm and gave it to my dad. He's still begging for a 30-06 instead :p.. That 300 just kicks the snot out of you with the goodyear tread on the butt of the stock. It just doesn't help with recoil, but leaves a nice welt on your shoulder. Like I mentioned earlier, I am down to 1 Ruger mkII and that is my target/varmint .223 rem. That rifle shoots lights out, consistent sub moa 10 shot groups, but I hate the 2 stage trigger. I really wished Ruger would have made these with a single stage adjustable trigger. But oh well... When I find a good replacement, this one is going down the road:
009_zps8213e65b.jpg
IMG_0616_zpsahv9llhe.jpg
I'm eyeballing a 220 Swift right now, so I may just get my wish...;)

How about the tang safety models? Anyone have any good ones they care to post? I've had a few and some I wish I still had. One of best rifles I let get away was a tanger 30-06, with an old original laminated stock. This stock had some interesting colors in it, like red and green and brown. It was quite interesting, but the rifle was so accurate, it made up for it. I wish I had some pictures of that rifle to share!!!!!! Another tanger I had was a beautiful (kind of rare) round top m77 chambered in 270 win. That rifle was damn accurate, I remember the first time I took it to the range, after glass bedding, and was blown away by the first 3 shot group fired with this rifle. I knew it was a keeper for sure:
006-52_zps85d36081.jpg
007-41_zps6628701a.jpg
005-53.jpg

Many more pictures and stories tomorrow. Thanks for letting me share some of my favorites. If you guys have any pictures and stories to share, please feel free to post them. Thanks...

Last Edited:
My first Ruger 77 MKII was a walnut stocked, blued rifle with no sights. The best pic I have of the gun is my avatar pic.
I have a picture though, that is more impressive to me. I shot this group with that blued Ruger using the hood of my truck for a bench with Remington Core-Lokt 150gr ammo.
I was too nervous to try the 4th round in the mag and stopped with a 3 shot group. It also happened to be my birthday. :D
IMG_20160324_0002.jpg
I gave the gun away as a high school graduation present.

My first Ruger 77 MKII was a walnut stocked, blued rifle with no sights. The best pic I have of the gun is my avatar pic.
I have a picture though, that is more impressive to me. I shot this group with that blued Ruger using the hood of my truck for a bench with Remington Core-Lokt 150gr ammo.
I was too nervous to try the 4th round in the mag and stopped with a 3 shot group. It also happened to be my birthday. :D
View attachment 354824
Awesome shooting!!! I love it when it works out like that. Especially on your birthday...

View attachment 354824
What caliber is it in?

My two new M77 Hawkeyes are scheduled to arrive at my friendly neighborhood FFL on Monday. A Hogue stocked factory limited production in .270 Win, and a synthetic stocked version in .308 Win. Can hardly wait.

Mine, in .22 WMR. It will out shoot me all day long. Cold bore shots are 1MOA at 100.

FullSizeRender (11).jpg

Last Edited:
100-ish yards. Rangefinder said 102. Choot-'Em Maxi Mags. Maybe not a 1MOA hole, but close. 7-9 sure are:

IMG_0454.JPG

This is the replacement for the rifle I gave away. I bought it at BiMart. It was old stock, about 10 years old, but brand new. I saw it there for $399. A couple of days later there was a $30 off coupon that I used to pay $369 for the rifle.
I gave it a blasted finish, Leupold scope in Ruger rings, Timney trigger and Hogue stock. Just about the time I finished it my wife and I celebrated our anniversary. She bought me a new Kimber Montana and I sold the Ruger.:( After a couple of years messing around with that Kimber and missing the Ruger, "my" Ruger came back up for sale. I jumped at the chance and bought it back.
:s0023:

@Velzey has this one right now. When it comes back from him it'll be a 30-06 Ackley Improved. I can't wait to start playing with it all over again.
RUGER.jpg
This pic is me shooting it at an Appleseed Known Distance event. At that time it was wearing a Leupold VX-R that's on another rifle right now. The ear muffs I'm wearing say "Larry's Sports Center" on the other side.
16701035458_549bff4897_h.jpg

Alright, here's another Ruger I used to own. When I first saw it, it came in through the gunshop doors with a scruffy/rough looking indian guy. The gunshop owner said, "man that one is in rough shape", so I had to look over and check it out. The gunshop owner said, "I'll give you $150.00 for it".... The Indian guy said, "well ok, if that's the best you can do".... After he left, I asked the gunshop owner if he wanted to make $50.00? He said, what do you mean? I said, I'll give you $200.00 for that old rifle. He said, "SOLD"....:p

I don't have any before pictures, but here it is after I had it cerakoted graphite black. I also had the same smith jewel the bolt body. I think it turned out very well, considering how crappy it looked when I got it:
006-41.jpg
005-49.jpg
004-56.jpg
002-76.jpg

It also shot very well for an old tang safety ruger too. Of course, this was after I glass bed it:
002-77.jpg

Sometimes I kind of wished I would have hung on to this old 300WM...

My two new M77 Hawkeyes are scheduled to arrive at my friendly neighborhood FFL on Monday. A Hogue stocked factory limited production in .270 Win, and a synthetic stocked version in .308 Win. Can hardly wait.
They came in early! Here they are. I was surprised at how much lighter the .308 feels with the standard synthetic stock compared to the .270 with the Hogue stock. Also interesting that the .270 has a more full finish on the barrel compared to the .308.

IMG_20170407_163005945.jpg