JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My occupation requires that I be subject to random drug and alcohol testing as well as fitness for duty regulations. There is no exemption for medical marijuana and any violation could mean the end of your career.

So if anyone decides that's it's allright to light up in public, be prepared for a fight. You are possibly endanging someones way of caring for their families. People get really nasty when someone is trying to take food away from their kids.

And don't start with that crap about "it's the man, not me". Doesn't fly anymore now than it did in the 60's and 70's.

I was thinking the same thing the day it got passed. I read the law, but don't recall there being provisions for WHERE you can smoke it. I would imagine it would have to be controlled, because as you just said, 2nd hand pot smoke is an entirely different animal from second hand tobacco smoke.

It seems to me you would have to do it in a separate room with proper ventilation and not where others would be subjected to it.

Unless you live in Eugene, do you really see this as being an actual scenario that you'll find yourself in?

If so, move. Because regardless of whether or not the States' Rights v. Federal Law gets settled, assaulting someone for doing something like that is just going to end you up in jail and out of a job anyway. Most employers don't want employees that go to jail for being stupid.

Contact high ROFLMAO I can tell you for a fact that unless the contact high involves them shotgunning it into your open inhaling mouth your not going to get anywhere near enough of the indicators to trip up a drug test.

I to as a CDL driver must subject myself to random tests. I also have experiance with Pot in my past life. And your being very paranoid. Not that that is wierd around here.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought I heard something about how a simple 'passage' of the law does not mean it is immediately in effect. Seems there are still some Federal legal hurdles to deal with. Again I do not know for certain just what I heard in the news,

your not going to get anywhere near enough of the indicators to trip up a drug test.
I agree. I once knew a Lab Tech who processed UA's and explained to me it is not a go/no-go test because there is a certain threshold for the amount of THC one must exceed for it to be positive. Many common products contain THC and will show up as trace amounts. I asked him specifics but he could not answer other than to trust the system because if the test is positive there is a specific reason it is and not because you ate too many poppy seed muffins or were in a 'smoky' environment.

Not sure about Oregon, but given the increasing number of places where it's illegal to smoke in Washington (bars, restaurants, within 25' of a doorway, parks, etc., etc.), I'm hoping this doesn't become an issue.

How is this thread related to guns?

It's in the "off topic" section.

I shouldn't have used the term "contact high" in the title. The typical, "it doesn't apply to me, so why should I care" attitude comes out of the woodwork. How many of you that say I'm being paranoid have been through the "Fitness for duty for supervisors" class? Being in a room, or even at a concert where someone is smoking pot, can, and does expose you to the smoke and can result in a positive test. You can bet that I'll have something to say to someone who lights up without asking if it bothers other people.

This is much different than sitting at a bar. I can have a coke or drink iced tea if I want, there is no chance of me absorbing alcohol by just being near it. Same as picking up a prescription for someone at the pharmacy. Again, no chance of me having it in my system. Pot smoke is totally different.

Right now, there is no standardized test to determine the quantity of the intoxicants in someones body. Only a minimum sensitivity that could also indicate that you were near it in the last 30 days. Yes, I've spend quite a bit of time in Humbolt County and even farter in from the coast so I know about the attitudes. It really doesn't bother me that people can smoke pot. It just bugs the crap out of me when people toke up next to you without even asking if it's ok with you.

My occupation requires that I be subject to random drug and alcohol testing as well as fitness for duty regulations. There is no exemption for medical marijuana and any violation could mean the end of your career.

So i am confused ..you get randoms correct?The alcohol part is to see if you are drunk ?or if you have drank? I would assume that being over 21 yrs of age is legal to drink in washington.Now it is legal to smoke pot..so can they deny you employment for smoking?

So i am confused ..you get randoms correct?The alcohol part is to see if you are drunk ?or if you have drank? I would assume that being over 21 yrs of age is legal to drink in washington.Now it is legal to smoke pot..so can they deny you employment for smoking?

Actually they can. The company I work for has a stringent drug policy and made very clear when Washington started to accept medical marijuana that - regardless - it was the policy of this company that no employee should imbibe in a substance that is classified as illegal by the government.

Plus again it gets us to the fight of States' Rights v. Federal Mandate. This is far from settled law.

Wow, just wow. About the only way you're going to get a contact high is if the person smoking dope is hot boxing and even in a car that would take A LOT of smoke to give you a second hand high and cause you to test positive.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top