JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Legal Rifle Barrel Length for Oregon?

I keep seeing 11.5 and various other short barrels for AR's for sale on the Internet. I was under the impression that if your lower is a Rifle that the barrel had to be 16 inches, is this true? I see short barrels that have longer suppressors installed to make them legal, is there any benefit to having a short barrel if its suppressed? I am hoping someone can clear this up, or point me in the right direction to learn the laws for Oregon.

Thanks

Here are some options on what you can do with a 11.5" barrel and keep everything in the legal IMO:

- put it on a pistol lower with any type of end you want
- put it on a rifle lower with any type of end you want and get an SBR tax stamp
- put it on a rifle lower with a permanently attached flash hider that extends the total length out to 16". I have a friend with one of these. This method saves an inch or two over having a threaded barrel and removable flash hider. If the barrel is threaded, the length is measured out to the end of the threads. The removable flash hider is added onto the 16". If the flash hider is perm attached, the total length of the barrel and hider assembly can be 16".
- I believe you could also have a sound suppressor perm attatched to it to extend it out to 16", but once you are getting the suppressor tax, most people would just jump to the SBR tax also.

Personally, I don't go for the short barrel with perm hider concept. If the thing is going to be that long, I want as much barrel as possible to stabilize the round. Anyhoo, these are just my opinions and I am sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in shortly.

Oregon's firearm laws generally follow those of the federal government.

Thus, minimum rifle barrel length is 16".

However, to address your question, Oregon is an NFA friendly state. Thus, as long as you go through the motions and obtain a NFA tax stamp from the BATFE ($200), the associated SBR, SBS, MG, AOW, and DD is permitted.

Or, if it's a pistol.

Personally, I don't go for the short barrel with perm hider concept. If the thing is going to be that long, I want as much barrel as possible to stabilize the round. Anyhoo, these are just my opinions and I am sure someone more knowledgable than I will chime in shortly.

Well one of the reasons that people go with the shorter barrels is weight, depending on barrel profile, you can save a bit of weight on the end by going with a flash hider instead of a barrel.

A bigger reason that I have seen is because of length savings. A 16" barrel with a flash hider will always be longer than 16", so a lot of people like the 14.5" barrel with 1.5" FH to save that extra inch or so.

Just my .02

I have a AR lower that is registered as a pistol. From what I read (and understand) if I put a stock on it and a 11.5 upper then I have to register it as a SBR. Is this true?

with permed 11.5s, you have almost all of the weight and length of a 14.5 permed weapon but with the harsh/potentially unreliable firing, slower velocity, decreased durability, higher-arching ballistics of an SBR, plus the limited ability to modify the weapon because of the permed device, but without the benefit of CQB length.

you get all the negatives and none of the positive

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR