Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

left handed shotgun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by JAYROD9528, Apr 29, 2009.

1. JAYROD9528

JAYROD9528 PASCO WA New Member

I thought I would put this topic in here. My wife is looking for a left handed shotgun. She has never shot a shotgun or any long gun. So the question is what are the advantage or disadvantage to shooting the oposite side. I have this thread in wtbwa aswell so if you have one please reply to that thread. This is just a info gathering for my wife.

2. orchemo

orchemo Portland Active Member

If you are looking for a pump shotgun, look at the Browning BPS. They are bottom ejects thus can be used be anyone.

Eric

3. JasonM

JasonM Vancouver Wa New Member

Ever consider getting her started on a single shot or double barrel 20ga? Would take more of the human error element out of the equation.

4. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Curious...what is the mission of this shotgun? Hunting, sporting clays, trap, plinking, defense? Knowing this might help us help you.

5. JAYROD9528

The main use of this shotgun is going to be a little of everything. She would like to get into hunting with me and I hunt turkey and pheasant. I shoot trap sometimes. I use a older Mossberg 500. She claims the mossberg is to heavy. I had her pick up a 870 and she said that was ok as far as weight goes. I think a turkey gun with a shorter barrel may be what I need to get her so she fills more comfortable with length and weight.

6. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

:huh:

870 should be heavier than a 500...steel receiver vs. aluminum.

Being a lefty....I prefer the Mossberg safety over the Remington ( easier to use the thumb up top on the mossy vs. the remmie's "backwards" button )

I've never been bothered by the action being on the right side myself, but I can see going to a bottom ejecting gun if she doesn't like empty shells flying past her face.

As far as a dedicated "left handed" gun...I give them a collective "Meh".

Although, I would like to get e lefty bolt gun one day.....maybe....:)

7. HUAC

HUAC pnw Member

Ithaca 37 is also bottom eject.

8. lefty

lefty South Central WA New Member

Remington made the 870 Wingmaster in left handed versions for a few years and are currently making the Express in left handed.

The biggest advantage for me is the left handed safety, a side benefit is the left side ejection port. It's nice when you are just dropping single shots in at a trap range.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/left-Hand/

9. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I am left-handed too. I had a Remington 870 and have shot a Remington 1100 auto, and neither gave any issue with ejected hulls when shooting left-handed.

BUT, the right-handed cross-bolt trigger guard safety was a REAL pain in the butt, forcing a total grip shift every time! For a lefty, I would not buy either......................elsullo

10. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I'm a lefty too, and I really like my BPS. The bottom eject and tang safety make it a truly ambi. gun, but with a 28" barrel the stalker weighs more than 8 pounds. For upland birds and trap, I'd recommend a small o/u or sxs. I've got a 20 guage cz redhead with a 26" barrel, and it weighs just over 6.5 pounds. But the 12 weighs about a pound more, so you don't gain much weight-wise. Depending on her size, you could even consider one of the youth models with a shorter LOP.

11. JAYROD9528

Thanks for the insight I bought a Bps today