JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought I would put this topic in here. My wife is looking for a left handed shotgun. She has never shot a shotgun or any long gun. So the question is what are the advantage or disadvantage to shooting the oposite side. I have this thread in wtbwa aswell so if you have one please reply to that thread. This is just a info gathering for my wife.

The main use of this shotgun is going to be a little of everything. She would like to get into hunting with me and I hunt turkey and pheasant. I shoot trap sometimes. I use a older Mossberg 500. She claims the mossberg is to heavy. I had her pick up a 870 and she said that was ok as far as weight goes. I think a turkey gun with a shorter barrel may be what I need to get her so she fills more comfortable with length and weight.

The main use of this shotgun is going to be a little of everything. She would like to get into hunting with me and I hunt turkey and pheasant. I shoot trap sometimes. I use a older Mossberg 500. She claims the mossberg is to heavy. I had her pick up a 870 and she said that was ok as far as weight goes. I think a turkey gun with a shorter barrel may be what I need to get her so she fills more comfortable with length and weight.

:huh:

870 should be heavier than a 500...steel receiver vs. aluminum.

Being a lefty....I prefer the Mossberg safety over the Remington ( easier to use the thumb up top on the mossy vs. the remmie's "backwards" button )

I've never been bothered by the action being on the right side myself, but I can see going to a bottom ejecting gun if she doesn't like empty shells flying past her face.

As far as a dedicated "left handed" gun...I give them a collective "Meh".

Although, I would like to get e lefty bolt gun one day.....maybe....:)

Remington made the 870 Wingmaster in left handed versions for a few years and are currently making the Express in left handed.

The biggest advantage for me is the left handed safety, a side benefit is the left side ejection port. It's nice when you are just dropping single shots in at a trap range.

<broken link removed>

I am left-handed too. I had a Remington 870 and have shot a Remington 1100 auto, and neither gave any issue with ejected hulls when shooting left-handed.

BUT, the right-handed cross-bolt trigger guard safety was a REAL pain in the butt, forcing a total grip shift every time! For a lefty, I would not buy either......................elsullo

I'm a lefty too, and I really like my BPS. The bottom eject and tang safety make it a truly ambi. gun, but with a 28" barrel the stalker weighs more than 8 pounds. For upland birds and trap, I'd recommend a small o/u or sxs. I've got a 20 guage cz redhead with a 26" barrel, and it weighs just over 6.5 pounds. But the 12 weighs about a pound more, so you don't gain much weight-wise. Depending on her size, you could even consider one of the youth models with a shorter LOP.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top