JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just received a Thompson Center hawken in 50 caliber.
While taking it apart to clean/oil and tinker with it, I noticed the clean-out screw on the snail; the slotted screw head is broken.
Got the nipple out no problem, and now got kroil on both sides of that clean-out screw while I figure out what to do.
Drill it out, or let a sleeping dog lay?

20230309_123337.jpg

Um... leave it alone.

I could be wrong, but I think it's a misconception those are "clean-out" screws. They are actually plugs for the holes they had to drill to do the flash channel. They aren't actually meant to be removed for cleaning... although.... I know it's a pretty common practice. As is running anti-seize on those threads, but I dunno why a guy would want to risk gumming up the channel with excess. For cleaning.. really all you have to do is remove the nipple, warm water and soap, etc.

If it wasn't seized, I can see the convenience factor there, but since it is... and original... I wouldn't fudge around with it.

YMMV

@Andy54Hawken is the hawken master around here. I would go with whatever his take is.

Last Edited:
Yeah, you're right about trying to attempting to repair it. As it is now, the screw is seized anyway, and won't let any gas escape when fired.
Like you said, the flash channel and the patent breech can be cleaned with a guitar string after the nipple is removed. In fact, my White Mountain carbine and 1863 Springfield don't even have a screw on the snail.
Reminds me of a true story:
In high school I was helping a friend change the oil on his truck. He was underneath it, and noticed a nail stuck in his tire. Without thinking, he grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled it out. "What have I done!" he yelled, as he tried to put the nail back in.

Some things are better left alone.

LOL. I just looked at my .50 caliber TC Hawken and it looks just like that. To my knowledge, it has never been monkeyed with. I inherited it over ten years ago from my dad. It's probably only been in the family 30, maybe 40 years. I sure don't plan on messing with mine.

Yeah, you're right about trying to attempting to repair it. As it is now, the screw is seized anyway, and won't let any gas escape when fired.
Like you said, the flash channel and the patent breech can be cleaned with a guitar string after the nipple is removed. In fact, my White Mountain carbine and 1863 Springfield don't even have a screw on the snail.
Reminds me of a true story:
In high school I was helping a friend change the oil on his truck. He was underneath it, and noticed a nail stuck in his tire. Without thinking, he grabbed a pair of pliers and pulled it out. "What have I done!" he yelled, as he tried to put the nail back in.

Some things are better left alone.
That for (some reason) reminds me of "Little Jack Horner"…..

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews