JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

A laser range finder has been on my list to get. I'm looking at a distance of 0-1000/1500yds, give or take. I haven't looked into them a whole lot.

What brands and/or models should be avoided?
I'm open to suggestions for researching any mentioned.
I suppose a price range would help narrow things down. Approx cost $300-$500

Thanks for your input.

Last Edited:
A buddy and I both have Leupold RX-1200 units and have been real happy with them.
I think most of the shorter range less expensive units(i.e. Bushnell) have issues with proper ranging especially depending on the target(reflective or not)

I've been reading a bit about the range finders. The more I read about "claimed" ranging distance, compared to true capability, a lot of them do not work out for said range. This is something I want to avoid when I purchase. Also, I found some of them have the ability to "zoom" in, or are fixed power. I've a lot to learn before I buy one, but I'd like to be ready for the next hunting season. Bit by bit I hope to fill the voids.

Thanks for your reply :cool:

A video of the range finder you mention.

I have a brand new Leica 1600B for sale if you are looking for one $200 below cost.
That would put it a little above your price range quoted but it would be well worth it.
Clearest glass in the industry, ranges out to 1600m (1 mile), bullet drop software takes into account angle, caliber, and barometric pressure.

Most will not range at the distances they advertise unless conditions are perfect. For instance ranging your pickup at 1500 yards might work, but I really doubt you could do that with a deer or elk if there are trees and other things around, or if the animal/item you try to range is on flat land. I would say whatever they advertise, cut that in half and be happy if it will range accurately much farther out.

I have a Leica 1600 and it's amazing it has better glass than my binos and I have ranged rocks to over 3000 yards and animals past 1600 yards easily.
I would look at the guys in the earlier post. You won't regret spending the money on quality

I was in BiMart today and seen/seed/saw? a bushnell RF in the case. Don't ask me what model. I was going to look at it, when I spied a sale on Lake City 62gr, 120rnd mini cans. At that point, my brain went into ammo mode. I paid for them and forgot to look at that range finder!!

Cabelas will be a stop tomorrow so I can look and compare.

I just went through this and bought the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000. I felt it was the best bang for the buck. I haven't hunted with it yet and the furthest I've ranged anything was a stump on a hillside at 1380 yds. My first, so no personal experience to compare. A couple people I trust that have range finders told my if they were to get a new one the Sig was the one to get.

I just went through this and bought the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000.

Me too, several weeks ago. Cry once, and done.

I spent so much time reading reviews from the long range crowd that I thought I'd go blind. Since it was regularly mentioned that half the claimed distance is what you can expect to get on game in typical (i.e., less than ideal) conditions, then establish your real need as opposed to your 'want to have.' I don't hunt, so a range finder and spotting scope are where my needs lie. But if I were a hunter, I'd probably spend the big bucks on quality binoculars because that's where the eyeball hours are spent.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top