JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to get a couple of units that I have seen before but am having difficulty finding. I want the tall pipe that screws onto a 20lb(5 gal) propane bottle that has a 2 mantle lamp at the top and a radiant heater head about half way up. Does anyone have any idea where to find these? I am starting to wonder if they are still available at all.

Sounds like you are referring to the Coleman adapter pipe that screws onto the 5 gal tank and has the additional threaded LP 'taps' off of it. If that is what you are describing I have not seen one in a while myself but many years ago I made something similar with 1/4" pipe and LP quick connectors. A standard POL fitting is on the bottom with a 90 Deg. elbow and an approximate 12" section of 1/4" up to two 'T' fittings offset with two quick connectors off of it. (a 'cross' fitting would have worked better but I could not find one in 1/4") Another section of 1/4" about 24" with a standard male LP accessory fitting on the top allows me to screw a LP lantern on the top and my various LP accessories all have quick connectors so I can quickly configure what ever I need IE. BBQ, radiant heater etc.

RVTECH,

Thanks for the detailed response.
Sigh..... unfortunately your response has left me with more questions.

1/4 inch pipe? IS that galvanized iron pipe or?
LP quick connectors? Not sure what they would look like or where to get them.
"A standard POL fitting is on the bottom with a 90 Deg. elbow and an approximate 12" section of 1/4" up to two 'T' fittings offset with two quick connectors off of it." (Head spinning..... Yikes!)

Sigh.....

1/4 inch pipe? IS that galvanized iron pipe or?

Black steel - not galvanized

LP quick connectors? Not sure what they would look like or where to get them.

Ace Hardware will most likely have these - if not then an LP supplier IE. Amerigas They kind of look like standard air compressor/tool quick connectors but are of higher quality, fit tighter and do not corrode. Initially I used air quick connects but they started leaking after a few years and the steel ones corroded from the moisture in the LP.

"A standard POL fitting is on the bottom with a 90 Deg. elbow and an approximate 12" section of 1/4" up to two 'T' fittings offset with two quick connectors off of it." (Head spinning..... Yikes!)

A standard POL fitting is the one that screws into the service valve of the LP tank and has standard 1/4" iron pipe threads on the end. A 90 degree elbow heads it vertical and the section of pipe (you decide the length) screws into the elbow and then a 'T' on the top end of the pipe, a short 'nipple' and another 'T' gives you two accessory taps and then you can have two quick connectors. (The 1/4" 'Cross' fitting would work better and result in a cleaner install - of you can find one but two 'tees' do the same) Another section of 1/4" pipe and a 1/4" to LP accessory fitting screws on the top for the lantern. Still confused? PM me an email address and I'll send you a picture of my setup.

Rather than a hose to a stove at the mid point I am looking to mount a radiant heater
Easy to do. Just use another LP accessory fitting off one of the Tees and screw the heater on it. The beauty of making this yourself is you can configure it any way you want. I Deal with frustrated people regularly who want to do this or that and wind up with a pile of fitting and hoses and never accomplish what they want because they are trying to do it all with Coleman brand stuff which is designed to limit a layman's ability for safety sake but a little time in the pipe and fitting section of Ace Hardware and you will find everything you need to do virtually whatever you want.

Another place to find fittings is in the RV sections.Get one of those "extended stay" kits.Camping world has a good selection ,pricey but a good selection.

But as RVTech said,take the tree and all your parts to the plumbing section at the hardware store.(make sure to get a roll of teflon tape too). If you play around there for a while you can come up with any configuration you want.

But don't expect the staff to have a clue about it.

Do y'all have any propane/BBQ stores down there? Sometimes they will have a good selection of fittings too.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top