Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Kind of a dumb question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Fjordforder, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Fjordforder

Fjordforder Pierce County Active Member

Like the title says, this is kind of a dumb question but I`m hoping someone can shed some light.

I`m looking into getting a bayonet for my AR, specifically an OKC3S or an M7, depending on what mood I`m in. Thing is, my AR is a 16-inch with carbine gas. It seems to me that the only real hitch would be that the blade itself would sit further back than it would on an 18 or 20-inch. Any thoughts? Can someone please help?

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Seems more of a statement than a question. Perhaps try again.
    good luck

3. Fjordforder

Fjordforder Pierce County Active Member

Lol, yeah, you`re right.

Has anyone tried mounting a bayonet to a 16-inch carbine gas AR? How well affixed was the ring?

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Out of curiosity, why would you do that?

For kicks?

Because you actually think you will need it IRL?

Seems like a huge wash of time for something that is basically useless...

One of those grenade launchers with the shotgun shell adapter seems like it would be a lot more useful.

5. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Duct tape is your friend th?id=OIP.Mca8409d5970d0e1ea832dc1f885b4acao0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=282&h=152.jpg

mjbskwim and Sstrand like this.
  6. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

:eek: Wait, huh???? Rookie AR builder here and collecting parts for my first build. What is this grenade launcher thingie you speak of?

Joe13 likes this.
  7. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Probably not many options. DPMS used to make a clamp on bayonet mount that clamped on to the barrel to provide a more forward mount for off the shelf bayonets. I did a quick search online and couldn't find any, but you may find a used one if you search a bit. I have no idea if they work well or not:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_ZZE5NsdSHkwvywQMXp3Hn-EByaV_GipnLNSd45gfaj-pV-wR.jpg

Another option is an extra long handled bayonet - here is one, and it's not cheap ($300):

a03.jpg

http://prebanarms.com/detail.asp?product_id=a03

8. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

What MT posted ^^

9. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

If you want to mount a pig-sticker on a 16" barreled AR w/o bolt-on lugs, extra-long handle bayonettes... or duct tape (LOL), it has to be a mid-length gas system. It scales the same as a 20" barrel with a full length (rifle) gas system from the flash hider.

Dyjital, Joe13 and etrain16 like this.
  10. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I think you meant 14.5" carbine, not a middy... That's in the (relative) "dissipator" length gas system territory (like a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel). FYI- a 14.5" barreled carbine length gas system scales the same from the bayo-lug to the end of the flash hider as a 16" middy length gas system, and as a 20" rifle length gas system does.

TA DA!! :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016