JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had to give Kieth's a +5.
Everytime I have been in there, I have never had any problem with CS, or getting any extra info that I didnt already have. And when one of the other people in there didnt or couldnt find what or where the item was, Kieth himself helped me.. I have bought my RRA there and at least 5 other weapons..

I guess he's a place that, if you want something, you already know information about it. I've stood there for about an hour one time just cruising through all the cases and none of them bothered asking me if I needed help, which was fine, then when I needed something I asked a little girl behind the counter, then she walked it over to keith and he did all the paperwork, If you know what you want and can get it at keiths, it usually for a awesome deal.

it usually for a awesome deal.
I must miss all the "awesome deals." He is never more than $5-$25 (depending on the price) cheaper on anything I am looking at buying. Nowhere near a big enough savings to be treated poorly. After I needed his help with a defective gun he sold me that time, and he pretty much told me I would have to come back after "gun show season," I have never been back.

I could not disagree more. Why should I give my money to an a** who does not appreciate my business just to save 1-2% on a firearm?

UNDERSTANDABLE, if its only 1-2%. usually more. I am really good freinds with another gun shop owner but his prices are 15% high. i will be damned if i will buy anything (except in special instance) from them when i can get the same item much cheaper elsewhere. If you have the extra $ and want to travel elsewhere to feel all warm and fuzzy, well thats what makes us americans. With me, its all about the bottom line. I dont talk w/Keith any more, but being a business owner, i understand how hard it is dealing with the public 24/7. I dont buy much from him since i moved to the west side, but he does stand behind his products, has the best selection in portland and usually will match any price available.

right now, we should just be happy we can still buy weapons and have choices. our kids may not have that right.

I had to give Kieth's a +5.
Everytime I have been in there, I have never had any problem with CS, or getting any extra info that I didnt already have. And when one of the other people in there didnt or couldnt find what or where the item was, Kieth himself helped me.. I have bought my RRA there and at least 5 other weapons..
Another one of Keith's relatives... ;)

In all seriousness, It is just amazing to me that there is no gun store, that I have found anyway, in the Portland area that has figured out that if they would combine the two most important issues - #1. Price, #2. Customer service, they would be THE store that everyone would shop at. I have been to most of the gun stores in the Portland area over the years and I have had good experiences at most of them. Keith's has the best prices I have found bar none. Customer service at Keith's is the WORST I have ever seen in any business, period!

Here is an example: I was in Keith's a couple of weeks ago and a customer was speaking to one of the "employees" about purchasing a new handgun. The customer asked the "employee" if they had a place he could sight in the gun after the purchase. The "employee" said in a very sarcastic and loud voice, "Does it look like we have a shooting range here?" The "employee" was obviously trying to make the customer feel like an idiot but in reality, ALL of the customers in the store new that the true idiot was the "employee." Now anybody who's been to Keith's knows that they have a full basement under the store and a couple of buildings across the street so a new customer would have no idea if they had a place to shoot. This is not an isolated incident. This is normal customer relations at Keith's. If I were the owner of Keith's and I found out that an employee treated any customer that way he would have been fired on the spot.

Back to my point; Keith's is the number one selling gun shop in Oregon because he is smart enough to know that most folks want/need to save money so he uses a cost + system that saves his customer money. The other stores are just too greedy to understand that they could match Keith's prices and continue the good customer relations and they would double or triple their sales volume in a short period of time. This would dramatically improve their profit margins, and in the process, they would severely reduce the business that Keith's gets which might force him to dump the terrible relative/employees that he has and hire folks with knowledge and good people skills.

Last Edited:
They do?

I honestly didn't know that... would they let me use it to try out a Sig 239?
I probably worded that wrong. I was not saying that they have a shooting range - I was simply stating that the customer has no idea what is beneath the store. He was just asking an intelligent question and he got a foolish answer from an employee that assumed the customer new what was in their buildings. The courteous response to the question would have been, "No sir, we do not have shooting facilities at any of our locations." NOT "does it look like we have a shooting range?" The obvious answer to that ignorant employee is "Yes, it does look like you COULD have a range." Keith should not employ folks that treat customers in that manner. It shows a serious lack of common sense/wisdom/discernment on his part. I have purchased many firearms from Keith's because the prices are great and they are close to my home. I have been treated good and bad by Keith - I have never been treated what I would consider "good" by any of his employees.

Again, my point is that none of the stores in this area are great business people. It would be very easy to become the #1 selling gun shop simply by providing great prices (as Keith's does) and great customer service like most of the other stores do. No shop has been smart enough to put it all together IMO.

I bought a pistol from Keith's, did an FFL transfer through them, and have swung by a few times to look around.

Horrible customer service. If this was any other type of business, it would not have remained open this long. If there was a better gun store nearby (I live about 5-10 mins away from Keith's), I would never step foot in Keith's again. I was talked down to by everyone there, except some younger kid (and I have talked to about 4-5 different employees).

They are very lucky that they have a good selection, good prices, and limited competition.

Again, my point is that none of the stores in this area are great business people. It would be very easy to become the #1 selling gun shop simply by providing great prices (as Keith's does) and great customer service like most of the other stores do. No shop has been smart enough to put it all together IMO.

I am constantly surprised by the negative impression that I, and a lot of other people, seem to get from most gun stores. Whenever I go to a gun store it seems that they are either rude, disenchanted, or wish you weren't there.

Is it because too many people window-shop guns? Is there something about patrons of gun stores that make the proprietors and employees get fed up? :huh:

I guess if you’re looking to be all prettied up and treated nice it would be better to go the spa instead, eh?

Plain and simple.

Prices good- service NOT.

For the most part, I totally agree. I live right by Kieths and we've bought a few guns from them now (eoither 3 or 4), but by and large their customer service bites. There are two acceptions though, keiths daughter, though her knowledge base isnt as high as some of the others, is really nice. And the younger guy (late 20's at a guess, he's the one who isnt chubby and doesnt always wear a hat) is pretty cool. BOth of them will help you out without the attitude.

Kieth himself is best avoided unless you're buying a high dollar Kimber.

Yes, you all brought up that younger fellow. He should be commended for his excellent service, as he is the reason we seem to have purchased weapons, if anything.

I hate to bust the stereotype regarding gun shops, but elcid11 (Kevin), and coctailer (Andrew), are excellent fellows. Yes, the stereotype remains true, but the consumer is the one that holds the fate of these businesses in our hands. Make your voice heard by shopping with those who do the most to stay in business.

I voted average, since in the past their CS hasn't been great. But I just bought a S&W from them a couple weeks ago. Kieth himself wasn't there. But the 5 employees who were, were pretty upbeat and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised. I'd go back if I wanted another gun now, and didn't want to order it.

Well guys, figured Id give my two cents about this place. I voted it a one, and thats only because there wasnt a -10. For years now Ive gone to Kieths, and bought thousands of dollars worth of guns and accessories there. Every time I go in, I swear it's my last time. The only reason Ive gone back over the years is because he is the closest. Its a good 30 to 40 min drive to go past Kieths and go to the Gun Broker or even longer to NW Armory.

So hes continued to get most of my business because hes close. Literally EVERYONE I know has some angry story about bad customer service, and even a few that have completely quit going there.

I think Kieth himself is a pretty nice guy, and I have mostly had good experiences when he has been the one to help me. But I find that most everybody else in the store are arrogant, self centered blowhards that couldnt find their a** with their hand. I only have that opinion because of the MANY times over the years that I have had bad experiences there.

I have heard it said that Keiths isnt a store for newbies to gun ownership. The sales people dont want to coddle the customer if they dont know anything. Well ****, Im no newbie, but Id just be happy with a LITTLE customer service from the employees! And maybe no condesending arrogant attitudes!

There have even been times that Ive gone into Kieths with the intention of spending money on guns, literally wait an hour and get no help, and leave. Drive to NW Armory and give the business to a Gun Store that actually knows what customer service means.

In my opinion, if Keith fired most of his employees, and hired some knowledgeable, grounded, decent people, he would probably see his sales skyrocket.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top