JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

I've got a Python that I haven't shot yet, get rid of her in favor of an SAA

• Keep the 90s Python

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Sell the Python and get a Colt SAA in 45LC

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters
Last time around it was a question of another 1911 in favor of selling the Python, and the addition of a SAA was an afterthought.
I'd say to keep the Python forever, it's an Heirloom pistol that should be handed down for generations. (IMHO)
but since this isnt your first time thinking about letting the Python go, maybe YOU need a change

if you decide to let that Python go,
feel free to send me a message (I've been lusting after the snake guns for years)

I have a strong feeling for the Colt SAA or I wouldn't be posting. I wouldn't trade off any of my Colt SAA guns for a Python. Pythons are truly the king of Colts double actions and well worthy of the fame they earned. The SAA is the soul of Colt and probably won't ever be made again. With the SAA you hold history in your hand, a great American company gone but not forgotten.

Old men like me live in the past I guess.

there is an interesting thought exercise here.

"at what point will SAAs and Pythons become less interesting and collectible?"

here's the thinking: handguns like that are more attractive to older demographics, to whom they had relevance and meaning.

for example, when i was growing up, the cool cops had Colt Troopers, and i wanted one so bad.

my cowboy heroes has sweet lever guns and i needed a 94.

these firearms aren't relevant to youth as they once were. i will draw the parallels to car collecting. as japanese sporty cars from the 80's and 90's are skyrocketing in value. while antique motorcars, and 50s hot rods are languishing.

thoughts?

Well, sell the wife and buy a SAA. You'll be money ahead in the long run because the things that go "boom-boom" (when they feel like it or don't have a "headache") are more expensive anyway.
I'm pretty sure that's frowned upon in virtually all the states.

If you buy a SAA then what barrel length? Maybe a rig to carry it in here...

Thing about the SAA is there is so many directions to go with it.

Maybe some modern leather...

If you buy a SAA then what barrel length? Maybe a rig to carry it in here...

Thing about the SAA is there is so many directions to go with it.
4.75".

A neighbor of mine inherited a huge collection of 1st issue Colt SSA's.
His father became so paranoid about somebody stealing his valuable collection, he wouldn't leave the house even after building a secrete room in his basement to hide them.
The collection was eventually sold at one of the gun auction houses back east.
My neighbor had no interest in any of them.

there is an interesting thought exercise here.

"at what point will SAAs and Pythons become less interesting and collectible?"

here's the thinking: handguns like that are more attractive to older demographics, to whom they had relevance and meaning.

for example, when i was growing up, the cool cops had Colt Troopers, and i wanted one so bad.

my cowboy heroes has sweet lever guns and i needed a 94.

these firearms aren't relevant to youth as they once were. i will draw the parallels to car collecting. as japanese sporty cars from the 80's and 90's are skyrocketing in value. while antique motorcars, and 50s hot rods are languishing.

thoughts?
You do know you just burst the bubble on those of us that collect junk? :) I can see your point though. My sons who are now in their 30's, are not in the least interested, and never have been, in really old cars and neither have I. Nor does a 18th or 19th century firearm in a museum, I barely glance at them.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut

I guess I should follow my own advice and move on, have a great day gents.

Last Edited:
I don't think anyone else can answer this question because it depends on what you want out of a gun. Fe if you want to scratch the four click single action itch you can do it with a uberti/cimmaron clone for a fraction of the cost. Or if just for play the .22/22 mag heritage pistols have 4 click SAA action and cost $89 for 6.5" after current rebate.

45LC ammo is spendy but fortunately you don't go through as many rounds with slow to load revolvers. Been shooting 45 LC out of my uberti 1858 black powder revolver and I like it. Can add a stock to it if shooting black powder too.

689A6BE4-4E5F-4084-BB71-81523C9B4945.jpeg

Stocks pic from internet
217D8577-7ABE-425C-A44D-6248B5A89D06.png
Fwiw if it were me I would browse Uberti and cimarron's catalog for the gazillion different SAA clones they have. Something there for every taste in size, finish etc.

I don't think anyone else can answer this question because it depends on what you want out of a gun. Fe if you want to scratch the four click single action itch you can do it with a uberti/cimmaron clone for a fraction of the cost. Or if just for play the .22/22 mag heritage pistols have 4 click SAA action and cost $89 for 6.5" after current rebate.

45LC ammo is spendy but fortunately you don't go through as many rounds with slow to load revolvers. Been shooting 45 LC out of my uberti 1858 black powder revolver and I like it. Can add a stock to it if shooting black powder too.

View attachment 1304694

Stocks pic from internet
View attachment 1304699
Fwiw if it were me I would browse Uberti and cimarron's catalog for the gazillion different SAA clones they have. Something there for every taste in size, finish etc.
At this point, my collection pieces are moving towards the more expensive side of things, so I'm more inclined towards the originals. My cheapest gun at this point is a model 12, and the next is a Langdon Beretta.

The gun would be my woods gun.