JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Maybe getting a kayak again for flat water, going under 10' to avoid $7 invasive species fee, yeah I know that's cheap but for how long and it's the principle of the thing. My old Kayak was 10.5 and I'm looking at 9.5. For what I'm doing it should be fine.

Question for you Oregon kayakers, Will I get hassled for sitting my 6 year old in with me in a boat for one, even if we don't exceed the weight limit, are they measuring Kayaks?

BTW been looking at the Perception Sport Swifty Deluxe 9.5 with the useless rubber covered hatch that isn't really dry storage. It has built in fishing rod holders though!

So invasive is up to $7, eh? I paid it once a few years back when it was $5, just to keep using the boats I already owned. I'll show those receipts and feign ignorance about new ones in the event of a shakedown.

None of my 10-15 year old kayaks have stickers or metal plates like the one on my 14' aluminum canoe, which says 3 persons at 150 lb each. But that's mid-1960's.

I'm guessing newer laws, special for Multnomah County, probably specify the maximum number of culturally diverse, gluten-free vegans on board, anti-gun of course, all with free health care paid for by the aging row-boat owner (on a fixed income) - whether there is a water mishap or not.

Seriously, I'll be interested in checking back to see what you learn about how many souls you can legally tote in your one-seater. I can tell you certainly that everyone needs their own life jacket. Limbs really do cease to function properly when you capsize in cold water. And wet jeans might as well be cement boots.

Just for ease of use and versatility, is a canoe (with much handier kayak paddles) out of the question?

Last Edited:
Just came home with a new Perception Sport Matrix 10' for 287.99 with vest and paddle out the door at Sports Authority. It measures under 9' 11" but the decal on the side says 10.0. It was already on sale and I got 10% more off cause it had a nasty scratch on the side of it. I jumped on it cause it had a very nice seat for the price range.
I'm sanding off the 10.0 decal to avoid hassle and might even paint a 9.92 on the side!:s0055:We seem to have
gotten our old smiley faces back with a few extra BTW!

I know what you mean about the funds. You got a good deal.

I traded an amp for a guitar, traded the guitar for a kayak, and traded the kayak for a canoe and a Minkota electric motor. I'm more of a kayak guy, but I need the big open canoe hull for my crab rings. I'm making floats from milk jugs with foam packing peanuts in 'em. That gets me a few hundred yards out past everyone crabbing on the piers. It came with some canoe paddles, but I'm a lot more comfortable and efficient with a long kayak paddle if/when the battery dies.

Incidentally, kayaks/canoes are great for drifting under tree branches and harvesting an interesting variety of gently used bass lures!

I think some guy here (he did a "report.. with pics in "hunting") goes out on the Tualatin river and shoots nutria with a .22 rifle.. sure looked like fun!

Finding out a little more about the Kayak police checkpoints. What a pita, how long before they start inspecting your river sandals?

Aquatic invasive species boat-inspection stations are open in Ashland, Gold Beach, Klamath Falls, Lakeview and Ontario.Aquatic invasive species boat-inspection stations are open in Ashland, Gold Beach, Klamath Falls, Lakeview and Ontario.
All vehicles carrying motorized or non-motorized boats (kayaks, canoes, paddleboards, sailboats, etc.) are required to stop.
You will be alerted to an inspection station by orange "Boat Inspection Ahead" signs followed by a white "Inspection Required for All Watercraft" sign.
Failure to stop could result in a $110 fine.
Inspections generally take less than 10 minutes if boats are free of aquatic invasive species.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top