JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up a couple 10' Lifetime Anglers for the wife and I and we are curious if anybody new if a floatation device was required or if a sit on top kayak counted as one being fully sealed and all. Having one is always a good idea and more than likely the plan. I'm aware of the invasive species permit crap tax and I'll fix that nonsense with a heat gun to make it 9'11". Am I missing anything? I don't spend too much time on the water to know the laws. Thanks for the input.

I'm a long time kayaker, I would never get in the water without a pfd. There's too much that can go wrong if you get separated from the boat in a capsize. My experience in that situation is everything going a different direction and sometimes you have to pick which you grab. There are a lot that are easy to wear but law or not I'd get one.

To be honest with you, IMO it should not really matter if it is a law, the PFD should be worn and should be best you can afford.
We never go out without ours on...just sayin'

All vessels require a PFD and a noise signalling device from float tubes to yachts. You don't *have* to wear the pfd, but must have one readily accessible. Sheriff was cracking down on that last few years. Its a good idea besides being law. At 10' you may also need the invasive species stamp :rolleyes: which is obtained from any fishing / hunting license agent.

Agree with all and do plan on getting a pfd. Just looking for laws to be concerned about. I was unaware about the signaling device though. Are they required? Even on a non motorized boat? Not here to debate safety just don't need a ticket for not having a whistle.

Spend the money on a level 5 jacket, don't just get a cheap one.

I was a lifeguard on the Columbia river and trained as a white water guide. It's like having a good helmet on a motorcycle. When you need it you'll want the best there is.

Agree with all and do plan on getting a pfd. Just looking for laws to be concerned about. I was unaware about the signaling device though. Are they required? Even on a non motorized boat? Not here to debate safety just don't need a ticket for not having a whistle.

Yup, air horne or a whistle. I kept a pealess marine safety whistle tied to my pfd with paracord.

I don't care how good or great a swimmer you are I am a great swimmer did the whole swim team thing when I was younger but I would not even think about getting in a kayak with out a pfd .the water around here is so cold you can't be in the water very long before you start to show signs of hypothermia .there cheap you can buy kayak pfd at waWalma for 25 BUCKS or you can get good inflatable ones for around 100 BUCKS .and you don't even know you have them on until you need it and pull the string to inflate it .the automatic inflatable ones are more like 150 to 180 BUCKS BUT HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE WORTH

With the all awesome unobtrusive auto-inflate PFD's available these days there's really no reason NOT to be WEARING one with an attached whistle at all times when on board a small vessel.

When I duck hunt on the Columbia River I even keep an auto-inflate camo version (with a whistle) on when wading/walking through the tall reeds along the shore just in case I step into a hole.... it's happened.

;)

We have these vests. They fit really nice, but can get a little warm on a hot day. I rolled the kayak out in the Columbia one summer day :rolleyes:....vey glad it had it on and also thankful the dunk was late summer and the water was warm.

92931322-D762-4087-AABC-96757DA8681C.jpeg

These are intercostal inflatable the intercostal means it's for lakes the coastal ones are a little bit different I believe this is like 80 BUCKS .com.google.Chrome.jpg

Hey STOMPER you said you duck hunt along the river you should look at these flotation hunting jackets there KINDA exspesive but they also keep you warm 5cbfd3f87ce108a8db24cc45f2f4cb50.jpg

Was in my kayak and tipped over. Got clear and pulled the inflation cord on my jacket. It worked and when I got oriented I put my foot on a submerged log, stood up and got back in the boat! My buddy laughed so hard he almost flipped his kayak. I told him I was doing a systems check and everything worked.:confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top