JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would like to see a section for K9's Those who have passed and those that are still working. I enjoy every one of the K9's I meet. I recently lost my 17 year old GSP. I had many good years with him. RIP Newt

Hunting dogs are great! I prefer labs myself and have 2 one chocolate and one yellow.
Here is a pic of my Yellow out on the field taken a few years ago he is 8 now.

I would like to see a section for K9's Those who have passed and those that are still working. I enjoy every one of the K9's I meet. I recently lost my 17 year old GSP. I had many good years with him. RIP Newt
Shorthair's a good dog.
Friendly (good with kids) and if you get one that's just a little "heavy" on the bloodhound, they have a nose second to none.
This is me, at Black Canyon (near Naches, Wa.), holding our two dogs, Nicky and Singhai.
Nicky's the German Shorthair. Singhai was a Weimaraner.
I think I was about 12-13 years old, then.
This would've made Nicky about 2-3 and Singhai was a year younger.
Nicky was always a "pup". Even at the time he died, he had more energy than a 5-year old!
Singhai was a bit more "lax". Never could run as fast, or jump as high as Nicky could, but oddly enough, could swim circles around Nicky!
Nickly loved jump into the water, but Singhai always preferred to just walk in calmly.
"Swimming" for Nicky was him trying to climb up on top of the water. It was almost comical to watch him go, but he did ok.
Singhai would enter the water calmly, and...just keep going. It was the damdst thing! Water never slowed that dog down. He'd just truck on through like it was nothing.
I'd throw the stick out in the water and it was the only time Singhai would get it before Nicky would.
It was funny, sometimes Singhai would lay back a bit, while Nicky splashed his way into the water, then paddle on out. Just before Nicky would grab the stick, Singhai would buzz up from behind him like a speedboat and snatch the stick up.
He'd then turn (quite gracefully too, I might add), while Nicky was left, literally, spinning circles in the water, yelping at Singhai for snatching that stick from him. =)
But Nicky had a nose, that's for sure.
When they hit the field, Nicky was always the one "in charge".
I think Singhai eventually got the idea about hunting, but he was never the "instinctive hunter" that Nicky was.
We had a heck of a time just getting Singhai to walk out in front of us. He always wanted to walk with us.
I don't know what changed his mind, but after that first season, he seemed more inclined to go out with Nicky, than stay back with me or Dad.
Nicky was a natural pointer, too. Once he found the bird, he'd freeze and that bobbed little tail would stop, RIGHT NOW (otherwise, it was just a blur).
I ever remember him picking up one leg, from time to time, just like the classic pose you always see in pictures of pointers.
I never trained Nicky to do that. That was all him.
Both of those dogs have been gone for many years now.
They were a part of my childhood and they were my friends, growing up.
I miss them dearly, as I do my late father, who was the guy who took that picture of me and the dogs.

DeanMk

Me-Nikki-Singhai_BlackCanyon.jpg

Thanks for shareing DeanMK
I love my GSP and hunt them sometimes but on the westside its a little harder I got to the release sites and work them. then I get one sometimes two trips east. Work now school, fuel, time you know. Here is a picture of moma

Sorry to hear of your loss with newt.

Yeah i hope i have many more year's with turless he is a great dog and a great hunter. He got a little heavy over this last off year and i need to work some of his weight outta him. I can see its starting to take its toll on his joints as some mornings hes slow to rise.

cyclesurvival that's an awesome picture of the mom. gsp are awesome dogs.

Dean where was that picture taken ?

I lost my other lab last year on July 4, at 5:39PM and one of the hardest times in my life. Hunted with me for 9 years. We got Henry last Christmas and her is at 8 months and almost ready to hunt. Loves to chase birds but does not care about rabbits....... I started working with him a 12 weeks and he should be ready for duck and goose season.

I am sorry for all the people that lost there pets and hopefully we all will get the chance to meet them again.

Henry when we got him.............

DSC_0116.jpg

But here is Henry now.

IMG_1040.jpg

Dean where was that picture taken ?
Black Canyon.
Its on the Wenas road, across the street from Hardy Canyon.
This is all just over the east side of the Manashtash Ridge.
Dad and I hunted that spot several times during the mid-late 1970's.
There were Chukar all over those ridges behind me and if Dad turned around, you'd see it was all pretty flat (thus the area's name - "Kettle Flats"), but there were some Pheasant and rabbits down in that area between us and the highway.
I understand the place that sold the giant hamburgers is still down the road from this place, too.
Sure would like to have another one of those. =)

...and to answer your other question, no. I haven't gone out bird hunting in many years now.
We lost those dogs in the early 1980's and I've never run across an opportunity to get another one since.
I do plan on getting another dog, some time before I'm gone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cycle and Scott,

Those are some fine dogs you guys have.

DeanMk

One more pic of me with Nicky and Singhai.
This was taken in Quincy, which is just north of George, a couple of years after the other one (I think I was 15 at this time).
In those days, the area that encompassed the towns of George and Quincy, were all farms.
Hunters had bugged the farmers about hunting on their property for years, so they decided to do something about it.
They came up with this thing called the "George Community Hunt".
You'd stop by the Community Hall and sign up for "the hunt". $7 (each!) bought you a large button and a map that showed which field was open (as some farmers didn't wanna get bugged).
There were large plywood placards set on the edge of the properties that bordered the road.
They either had a number on them (which corressponded with the numbers on the map) or they were simply posted "No Tresspassing".
You hunted those properties on the map that were coloured in.
Dam good idea and my father and I hunted that area for probably 5 years.
Eventually, crop rotation eliminated the beet fields, which drew all the pheasant.
Once the beets were gone, so were the pheasants.
There wasn't enough goose, bobwhite, quail action to sustain the large number of hunters that had been visiting the area, so the Community Hunt died.
The pheasant eventually came back, but according to an email I recently received from The Clerk of The City of George, you now have to ask the individual farmers if you can hunt their fields again.

DeanMk

P.S. Btw, any vintage trailer/RV collectors out there may be interested to know that I'm standing next to a 1956 Shasta trailer. Dad bought it from one of the teachers at my high school for $200 earlier that year.

I lost my other lab last year on July 4, at 5:39PM and one of the hardest times in my life. Hunted with me for 9 years. We got Henry last Christmas and her is at 8 months and almost ready to hunt. Loves to chase birds but does not care about rabbits....... I started working with him a 12 weeks and he should be ready for duck and goose season.

I am sorry for all the people that lost there pets and hopefully we all will get the chance to meet them again.

Henry when we got him.............

DSC_0116.jpg

But here is Henry now.

IMG_1040.jpg

Where did you get the picture of my dog, Cooper?!?! amazing likeness!

Hey sandman
they grow up fast. I spent over a year working with newt everyday after work, he was a great pointer and never new when to stop hunting. as far as the girls go they are not so heavly trained. but they still work good. Im going to breed the little one and keep the runt!! and hopefully that one will even be smaller that Double trouble (40-45lbs)is. I like the runts they have alot more heart than the larger one. they have to fight from the begining to get what they want and I think they must have something to prove as far a toughness goes.

Hey Scott that's a nice looking lab ! Me and turless made a trip to our local fav spot today and were only there one hour and took home a nice big pheasant.

The one thing i do no like about where we go is it also has all sorts of other people there or can be there doing stuff like walking the paths etc i got a really bad look from a granola looking guy while i was out in my blazing oranges and my killer dog and my big gun! lol i just ignored them and kept moving on hunting i was doing nothing wrong so he can take his negative view on hunting and shove it.

Hey Guys I have been able to get some hunting in and work my little girl she the spitting image of her father Im thankfull that the instinked carried on. Happy hunting

This was Arnold aka wonder mutt he was purebred and had great patience. You could stick a hershey kiss or a chunck of jerky on his nose and he would just sit till you gave him the ok then he'd catch it in his mouth in a split second. Awesome bird dog and liked wearing sun glasses in the car.

Thats awesome cycle glad to hear she follows in her fathers paw steps :) I need to get my lab out some more now that deer season is over i should have enough time to do so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top