JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like Full Target 6" for a revolver like that.
Here's what I would be looking for.
Target Trigger
Target Hammer
Target Sights
Target Stocks
17-3 is a good generation
You can still find a pristine 17-3
Hard to find anything older that is "pristine".
S&W 6" BLUE K-22 MASTERPIECE MODEL 17-3 GONCALO ALVES CHECKERED TARGETS .22
I found one (K-22) in January for $785
Completed my trifecta :
K-22
K-38
K-44 (Model 24)

There was also a K-32 in 32 S&W Long. I've shot one, never owned one though.

Back when I bought mine (in about 1979ish?). My revolver was a M18, K frame .22LR, ramped front sight with 4" barrel in blue. It was also called the "Combat Masterpiece". The M18 was used as a sort of trainer to the M15 "Combat Masterpiece" (aka K-38). Which was also a K frame revolver in blue, with a ramped front sight, and a 4" barrel, only in .38 Special caliber. The M15 was my issued duty gun.

Back then, a lot of Police Recruits entering the Academy had no previous experience with shooting REAL firearms. So having a .22LR was a cheap and low-recoil way to introduce us to firearms.

The M17 (IIRC) was meant as a target revolver in 22LR. Yup.....2700 Matches were still popular back then. It was easy to find a new one at the local gun shop. They usually came with a target trigger/hammer, partridge sights, and 6" barrel in blue.

Aloha, Mark

PS......
View attachment 1266389
I tried to sell it back then. That price, is NOT today's price. LOL.
Did the Partridge front sight have it's wings clipped so it wouldn't fly off the gun? Sorry... I couldn't resist......

6yakap.jpg

Last Edited:
The Model 17 designation started slightly later in the run when S&W was sold. The K22 Masterpiece was pre 17 production. I have one and it is an absolute tack driver and probably the finest pistol trigger I have ever used. Mine was manufactured in 47 if I remember correctly and the 17/18 designations started in the early 50's. Not exactly sure as I'm an old fart and memory is an iffy thing these days... ;)

The Model 17 designation started slightly later in the run when S&W was sold. The K22 Masterpiece was pre 17 production. I have one and it is an absolute tack driver and probably the finest pistol trigger I have ever used. Mine was manufactured in 47 if I remember correctly and the 17/18 designations started in the early 50's. Not exactly sure as I'm an old fart and memory is an iffy thing these days... ;)
S&W began their model numbering system in 1957.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top