JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

AOC has the solution to violent crime - stop building prisons.

I don't think anyone believes she couldn't get stupider. It's like a daily race to the bottom, but the participants are children who never got told no

AOC has the solution to violent crime - stop building prisons.

tenor.gif

You guys are gonna pillory me, but I think she has some reasonable points. First of all, mental health is one of the key reasons people end up in prisons (usually for profit businesses). Secondly, the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world and has had so for a number of years and nothing is changing. As Einstein said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So it seems to me that investing in mental health issues instead of paying for more prisons makes sense. After all, we are the people paying the tab for prisons. Wouldn't it be better to invest in something that at least offered a chance of people getting better? Because prisons don't do that - they do the opposite and we pay for it.

I'll now don my armor and put up the invisible fence as you good folks deride me. HA

Hop, it's a minority of people in private prisons. IIRC around 15% of the prison population. Most are state run.

Personally I've always been against contracting out prisons. The state exists for reasons, protection being the primary one. As such the legal system including punishment should always be a public operation. Just my philosophy.

-edit- Oh yeah, and AOC? Any reasonable points she spouts are buried in the avalanche of stupid that is... her. That's actually not what I think, I don't think she's stupid as in low cognitive ability. Unfortunately. She appears pretty average to above average. Her opinions and views, stated goals and political policies, etc. tho are so damned dumb that the word 'stupid' just leaps out!

Last Edited:
It isn't AOC that is stupid. It is the idiots in this country that have allowed her to be in the position of power that she is in! :s0155:

Do crayons taste like the color they are?

You guys are gonna pillory me, but I think she has some reasonable points. First of all, mental health is one of the key reasons people end up in prisons (usually for profit businesses). Secondly, the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world and has had so for a number of years and nothing is changing. As Einstein said, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So it seems to me that investing in mental health issues instead of paying for more prisons makes sense. After all, we are the people paying the tab for prisons. Wouldn't it be better to invest in something that at least offered a chance of people getting better? Because prisons don't do that - they do the opposite and we pay for it.

I'll now don my armor and put up the invisible fence as you good folks deride me. HA
Actually, I agree with most of this!
and, I cannot believe i'm actually agreeing with something that "person" has to say, at least a small part of it!
You are correct, we as a society have gone away from mental health care ( And institutionalization) and instead, allowed people with issues to exist outside on their own, and left to their own devises. Instead, we allow these people to go about their lives, which most often causes crimes and great harm to society at large! We also have a major problem with medicating everything,, and using some pretty serious psychotropics ( not sure that's the correct term) to treat things that should ether be treated other ways, and/or with other medications! but NO, we gotta give the heavy stuff. What's ever worse, because these people do not have regular care and monitoring, nor are they provided with the proper meds in the correct doses, in a timely manor, many of these folks take to self medicating with what ever they can, and this causes even greater harm both to them and to society at large!

I also agree with her statement, that we shouldn't toss people away like trash! We need to do better, and closing down/not building new prisons isn't the answer, but building and maintaining mental health institutes is, and getting the people who need help, HELP!

Your suggestions are already in play in potlandistan.

The mentally ill, socities rejects, and degenerates in general are allowed free access to society.

It's a complete chit show.
Many folks here have sworn to never set foot in the city. While tons of residents are fleeing the city in droves.
I'm not sure what utopia is going to be derived from your suggestions but try it in your back yard. I'm tired of it in mine.

BTW, the potlandistan city council just passed a budget that doesn't fully fund a non police response team.
My gut tells me that the team was not as productive as hoped for. IE, how the hell is a social worker supposed to stop a violent maniac?

The mentally ill, socities rejects, and degenerates in general are allowed free access to society.

Many folks here have sworn to never set foot in the city. While tons of residents are fleeing the city in droves.
I'm not sure what utopia is going to be derived from your suggestions but try it in your back yard. I'm tired of it in mine.

BTW, the potlandistan city council just passed a budget that doesn't fully fund a non police response team.
My gut tells me that the team was not as productive as hoped for. IE, how the hell is a social worker supposed to stop a violent maniac?

Living and playing within this city every day, for many years...Getting up in the morning and reading, or seeing right outside your house...how much this city has changed for the WORSE, in the last ten years, is something people who don't live here can not, fully understand and feel what it's like.

Living and playing within this city every day, for many years...Getting up in the morning and reading, or seeing right outside your house...how much this city has changed for the WORSE, in the last ten years, is something people who don't live here can not, fully understand and feel what it's like.

Try raising a family here.
We are on the eastern outskirts in a somewhat sheltered area from the mess. Now it's finally reached our neighborhood.
Having to explain to my kids why you don't feed the ferals, why you don't pick up needles, why we no longer go downtown, and why we are looking for a new home sucks. It's a part of life but we intentionally bought in a very stable middle class neighborhood.
Close to public transportation, easy drive to downtown, easy access to most things a metro area has to offer. Far enough away that most of the daily nuisance that a city has to offer wouldn't bother us. Now it does.

People have zero clues. Including AOC.

Last Edited:
So it seems to me that investing in mental health issues instead of paying for more prisons makes sense.

and, I cannot believe i'm actually agreeing with something that "person" has to say, at least a small part of it!
You are correct, we as a society have gone away from mental health care ( And institutionalization) and instead, allowed people with issues to exist outside on their own, and left to their own devises. Instead, we allow these people to go about their lives, which most often causes crimes and great harm to society at large! We also have a major problem with medicating everything,, and using some pretty serious psychotropics ( not sure that's the correct term) to treat things that should ether be treated other ways, and/or with other medications! but NO, we gotta give the heavy stuff. What's ever worse, because these people do not have regular care and monitoring, nor are they provided with the proper meds in the correct doses, in a timely manor, many of these folks take to self medicating with what ever they can, and this causes even greater harm both to them and to society at large!

I also agree with her statement, that we shouldn't toss people away like trash! We need to do better, and closing down/not building new prisons isn't the answer, but building and maintaining mental health institutes is, and getting the people who need help, HELP!

I do believe Hop and Ura both are referring to actually returning to having protected care for the mentally ill... like institutions. Invest in mental health also can refer to investing in institutional care. It doesnt have to be called a sanitarium but.... surely there must be a way to do so, and allow them to exercise their civil rights?

I do believe Hop and Ura both are referring to actually returning to having protected care for the mentally ill... like institutions. Invest in mental health also can refer to investing in institutional care. It doesnt have to be called a sanitarium but.... surely there must be a way to do so, and allow them to exercise their civil rights?
This is the hundred thousand dollar question. How do we protect society from the mentally ill without both infringing on their rights and (further) opening the door for abuse of the legal system. Crazy homeless people crapping in the streets has to stop somehow though. If I were a Utopian I would probably dream up some city where loonies and those who don't want to work can live indoors for free and someone shovels our their pen every morning. At some point this could actually be viable through automation, but what do we do in the meantime.

This is the hundred thousand dollar question. How do we protect society from the mentally ill without both infringing on their rights and (further) opening the door for abuse of the legal system. Crazy homeless people crapping in the streets has to stop somehow though. If I were a Utopian I would probably dream up some city where loonies and those who don't want to work can live indoors for free and someone shovels our their pen every morning. At some point this could actually be viable through automation, but what do we do in the meantime.
Maybe try giving them a choice

Interesting observation from a young (early 30s) relative just a couple of nights ago. He was over for dinner, and had spent the holiday weekend with his woman outside Eugene at a camp ground/cabin resort/whatever. Yurts, teepees and such. Said it was great, nice people, good food, quiet at night. Overall a great time.

They went into Eugene during the day, and stayed for drinks one night. He said it was astounding how much worse than Portland it was. (!?!) More tents and bums. More bad activity. They live in Portland, 23rd to be precise. I quote:

"Areas of Portland are a bubblegum show, but I've never actually seen anyone shooting up on the street. Walking around I looked and realized I was seeing a guy, sitting in a car, putting a needle in his arm!"

I told him about hearing a while ago, on OPB (of course!), how the PDX response team was going to be modeled after the Very Successful And Effective organization that had been Working Well for in years in... Eugene.

We laughed.

Then why has crime continued to decline since Reagan defunded the mental institutions?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top