JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everybody, looks like a great forum. I just purchased my first firearm a few days ago. With a wife and young sons my budget was very limited so after about 3 weeks of researching guns and gun laws I decided to go with a Hi Point 9mm C9. I really wanted to purchase the 40 when I was there cause I have always felt bigger is better but this is a good starting gun I think.

I have read lots of good and bad about them, and am pretty mechanically inclined and enjoy tinkering so if something goes wrong I figure I could mess with it or just send it in. I have watched quite a few videos about bending the clips and polishing the feed ramps. I am a total gun newb, but very enthused about learning and I am sure this will turn into a very expensive hobby for me down the road. I got the C9, an extra clip, a holster, and 2 boxes of PMC Bronze Ammo for $220 all new at a local gun shop.

I bought the 9mm for personal protection while out camping this summer as we plan on doing alot of that and for the home. I figure it was small enough that my wife could still comforatbly shoot it.

I plan to open carry while out camping so any opinions on that would be appreciated. I am still trying to figure out the exact laws on some things as far as carrying the gun in the car, it seems nobody really knows.....I do not have nor plan to get my CHL. Good places to go out and shoot close to Portland that you could recommend besides ranges would be appreciated.

It feels really good to own a handgun finally, I hope in the future I will be able to contribute to the site.

I am still trying to figure out the exact laws on some things as far as carrying the gun in the car, it seems nobody really knows.....I do not have nor plan to get my CHL.

Pick up a copy of Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws by Kevin Starrett. Looks like the metro area libraries have one copy in circulation.

Yeah and once you get the basic pistol class your 1/2 way to chl.

Welcome aboard to NWFA>

Welcome to the site. Congratulations on your first gun purchase. I'm sure you will find that shooting can be a family bonding experience. Enjoy your new gun and welcome to the wonderful world of shooting. :s0155:
There are many friendly and knowledgable folks on here that can assist and guide you with any questions, concerns you may have regarding guns and related topics. :D

Something you may want to consider about not getting your CHL, I don't know how everyone else feels about this but I personally don't like transporting my "toys" out in the open. I've been on my way to go "play" and had to stop & get gas or run into the store real quick. Even just walking out to my Jeep loading up to go, I get a lot of curious looks. I do plan on getting my CHL when I get a chance to. Not being paranoid here but it's nobody else's business what I have & I want to keep it that way...... :s0159:

Congrats on your new purchase. Having some protection for you and your family at home and while while camping is important and provides peace-of-mind. Teach your kids about guns and to respect them and always keep them under lock-and-key when not in your possession. I believe the NRA has a motto for kids that come across a gun... "Stop, don't touch it. Go tell and adult."

It was also nice of the Feds to recently allow carry in national parks. I believe there are some parks that still do not allow firearms, so check to ensure you are legal.

Congrats on your new purchase. Having some protection for you and your family at home and while while camping is important and provides peace-of-mind. Teach your kids about guns and to respect them and always keep them under lock-and-key when not in your possession. I believe the NRA has a motto for kids that come across a gun... "Stop, don't touch it. Go tell and adult."

It was also nice of the Feds to recently allow carry in national parks. I believe there are some parks that still do not allow firearms, so check to ensure you are legal.

Thanks for the advice. My 4 and 6 year old already have the first 2 rules of guns down as I grill them every other day, still working on rule 3.....I bought them little airsoft mock .25's a few months ago for my 6 years olds birthday. It was great watching them being super careful with the guns pointed down or away walking out to shoot, popping the mags into the gun. They werent strong enough to cock them for each shot so we upgraded to the fully auto machine gun looking ones that shoot 300 bb's a minute so my hand wouldnt get sore cocking 100's of shots when we go camping...........they will be under close supervision and quickly repromanded during shooting those, trust me..

I had the trigger lock + padlock as secondary on the gun here at home. I got a nice bag today that we are padlocking during the times the boys are awake and unlocking at night so it is easily accesible. Its put way up where they cant get to it yet, things will change as they get older. I grew up with guns and I still remember my dad teaching me gun safety when i was about 5 before he gave me my first lever action bb gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top