JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found myself in the Tualitin Gun Room today and asked to see an antique Winchester rifle. Given it was over 120yrs old, but on sale, I asked them to inspect the bore. Manager offered me a bore light, but the action was electronically banded shut. I asked them to remove the lock for my inspection and was told, "Company policy, we cannot remove the action lock until the rifle is purchased and transferred." I asked how was I supposed to inspect the rifle's bore and lever function properly? They had no answer and I gave them my opinion of their ludicrous policy and left. I won't be back.

Last Edited:
Found myself in the Tualitin Gun Room today and asked to see an antique Winchester rifle. Given it was over 120yrs old, but on sale, I asked them to inspect the bore. Manager offered my a bore light, but the action was electronically banded shut. I asked them to remove the lock for my inspection and was told, "Company policy, we cannot remove the action lock until the rifle is purchased and transferred." I asked how was I supposed to inspect the rifle's bore and lever function properly? They had no answer and I gave them my opinion of their ludicrous policy and left. I won't be back.
How was the trigger?

Ludicrous! That's one way to prevent people from buying firearms I guess.

What do you want to bet there was a couple lefty managerial types sitting up in the security office watching the screen, "Dude! Quick... here comes another one! Watch his face....!!" 🤣

I have seen a dozen plus rifles purchased from them, bore is a sewer pipe. I honestly don't know how they keep selling used guns.
Took in an early Colt Woodsman a few years ago. The bore was leaded so badly it was unreal. Customer had paid top dollar for it from them.

Been there, but they let me see the bore. Weird to here they didn't. I give Bass Pro another year in OR before they become Dicks and stop selling firearms.

While I do think the zip tie / keep the action locked policy is.....stupid.....

A "Thill Nite Brite Replacement Battery " works well for a bore light in both muzzle loaders and those firearms that need to be zip tied shut.
Andy

I honestly do not know how they make money half the time there is 6 people behind the counter and not a one of them asks if you need help. I did like their huge scope collection but like wal mart good luck at getting someone to help you. I am forced to steam up the glass like a 3 year old looking in a candy shop window !

While I do think the zip tie / keep the action locked policy is.....stupid.....

A "Thill Nite Brite Replacement Battery " works well for a bore light in both muzzle loaders and those firearms that need to be zip tied shut.
Andy
While that is a great idea on the bore, it wouldn't help me with action functionality. Lever rifles matter and this was being sold in slavery. I'm boycotting.

While that is a great idea on the bore, it wouldn't help me with action functionality. Lever rifles matter and this was being sold in slavery. I'm boycotting.
As the owner of older Winchesters I agree.

Say you were to simply inspect the bore, then buy the rifle and they remove the lock and the action was inop/rusted shut etc. then what? Could they/would they have taken it back? Sorry WAY too much of a chance to take with something like a vintage (or any) gun.

Last Edited:
Bimart did the same thing with their pistols and the trigger locks.
Half of buying a firearm is seeing what the trigger feels like.. their policy is to keep it locked and literally just buy the pistol by looking at it.
I get safety and whatnot, but actual gun shops don't have that policy.. if they are going to have a gun section then let customers check things out. Heck, take the license from the customer, then even have neutered firing pins in the display models if it's such a concern.

I find those lock up policies bogus if they deny a customer the ability to properly check a firearm out.

Cabela's has been circling the bowl since the brothers sold it to corporate American IMHO. I used to be a huge fan visiting every store I came close to; now not so much.

Bimart did the same thing with their pistols and the trigger locks.
Half of buying a firearm is seeing what the trigger feels like.. their policy is to keep it locked and literally just buy the pistol by looking at it.
I get safety and whatnot, but actual gun shops don't have that policy.. if they are going to have a gun section then let customers check things out. Heck, take the license from the customer, then even have neutered firing pins in the display models if it's such a concern.

I find those lock up policies bogus if they deny a customer the ability to properly check a firearm out.
Agreed. Part of the benefit of buying a firearm at a local retailer is being able to inspect its condition and function. If the seller is not willing to allow this to occur prior to purchase, what competitive advantage are they offering over purchasing from a dealer or individual online, and then transferring at a local FFL?

I did get a sales clerk at the Cabelas to take the locks off of a couple used revolvers last time I purchased from them. It's been a few years, but was after they began putting locks on everything (even though they were on display behind locked glass). Told the guy I'm not buying unless he removed the locks and I could complete my inspection, politely asking to dry fire and check the action and lockup. He allowed this in the side office, not out in the Gun Library room itself where other customers were. Sadly, but not surprisingly, you could get a different response now, or different responses depending on who you ask at the store.

Before jumping on Cabelas consider it from their view. How many gun owners would sue the moment something went wrong? It's all about the lawyers and a litigation happy public. The number of gun owners who would sue is probably close to the number of gun owners who voted for 114. Both numbers are non-zero.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top