JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you do the jungle boogie?

• Yes, I do! For practical purposes (e.g., defense, SHTF, et al.)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Yes, but only for competitions where doing so doesn't run afoul of rules.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Yes, but only for purely wacky purposes and rarely at that.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Nope, I sure don't.

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • (gasp!) Fully semi-automatic AR14s are already deadly enough with those barrel shrouds!

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Um, eh, (burp!) wut? Got that song on 8-track when rolling in ma Ford Pinto.

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
A recent Q&A video on In Range reminded me of this. That is so called "jungle style" where two (sometimes more) magazines of a semi-automatic or select-fire rifle/carbine/subgun are somehow attached for quicker reloads. Some are factory built that way (e.g., United Defense M42 magazines, some higher capacity 10/22 magazines, metal clips for the M1 Carbine 30-rounders, etc.) while others are attached by the end user via welding or ye olde duct tape.

Is this something you do with arms in this category? Why, so?

NO!
We always ran an initial single 20 round mag in the carbines, and a vest full of 30's! No need for any thing else, and it wouldn't have made a mage change quicker or more convenient! As it was, we needed to keep our carbines as light and compact and as free from snag as possible.

The only exception was for those of us that carried a M-16 with 203, then it didn't matter, it was always heavy!

I never have only because just swapping mags always seemed far too easy to me. I DO VERY much love larger capacity mags of course. I am BIG on PCC's and all of the many I have I chose them due in large part for taking Glock mags. For the 9mm versions I love the happy sticks and never have thought there would be reason to tape two together. Do keep several loaded so I could grab them to move if needed.

We didn't ever do tactical reloads, though the powers that be were always trying to train us to do it, most of the time, you could keep track of your shots and reload against a locked back bolt just as conveniently as not, and if it all went to hell, you shot to bolt lock anyway!
Some guys would do a tactical reload with pistols, but I never did, again, keeping track of your shot count or simply shooting till slide lock, Way easier and less fumbling about with a dead weapon trying to stay in the fight!

Bottom line for us was, if you had time to do a tactical reload, you had time to shoot through the loaded mag and then reload with a freshy!

I have done so...while actually in a jungle even...:D

With that said...
For me at least...it worked...I can see the "why" of it...but I felt that it also threw the weight and balance of the rifle or carbine off....
So I never really did it again after trying it out.

I found that a empty ( or full , if you prefer ) can of Copenhagen placed between the two taped magazines worked well for spacing...
Andy

Last Edited:
We didn't ever do tactical reloads, though the powers that be were always trying to train us to do it, most of the time, you could keep track of your shots and reload against a locked back bolt just as conveniently as not, and if it all went to hell, you shot to bolt lock anyway!
Some guys would do a tactical reload with pistols, but I never did, again, keeping track of your shot count or simply shooting till slide lock, Way easier and less fumbling about with a dead weapon trying to stay in the fight!

Bottom line for us was, if you had time to do a tactical reload, you had time to shoot through the loaded mag and then reload with a freshy!
You sir are in the know !!!

1634091608865.png

Last Edited:
A recent Q&A video on In Range reminded me of this. That is so called "jungle style" where two (sometimes more) magazines of a semi-automatic or select-fire rifle/carbine/subgun are somehow attached for quicker reloads. Some are factory built that way (e.g., United Defense M42 magazines, some higher capacity 10/22 magazines, metal clips for the M1 Carbine 30-rounders, etc.) while others are attached by the end user via welding or ye olde duct tape.

Is this something you do with arms in this category? Why, so?
Ah, I used to, but it got hard to move from target to target.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 6.59.20 PM.png

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR